Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   what's the point of shuffling a new setup w/auto shufflers? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=115926)

Yossarian147 05-17-2006 10:18 PM

what\'s the point of shuffling a new setup w/auto shufflers?

I went to Normandie for the first time this past Sunday. I just played 2/4 since I had no idea what to expect from the place. Anyway someone calls for a setup and it took about 5 minutes to get to the next hand. Spread, wash, shuffle each deck before putting it into the auto shuffler hopper. What a waste of time. I asked the dealer why they did that and she had no answer (possibly because she knew very little English).

Fun time though. I check raised this old woman and the table got mad because it was mother's day [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The atrocities at these low limit tables are a wonder to behold though. People checking down with pocket aces or two pair, omg.

TomHimself 05-17-2006 10:27 PM

Re: what\'s the point of shuffling a new setup w/auto shufflers?

i think i remember reading that alot of players ask or demand for dealers to do this because they think the auto shuffler is rigged or something/

i may be wrong though

AngusThermopyle 05-17-2006 10:28 PM

See pg. 23 of the immortal classic "Keeping Nits Happy"

tom10167 05-17-2006 10:34 PM

Because people are idiots.

Spook 05-17-2006 10:36 PM

To get it more 'random.'

Many people don't know how shufflemasters work. (Generate a random number, use that number to find the permutation for the deck (card a goes to slot 3, ...)
If a shufflemaster worked like a home automatic shuffler, then it would make sense to wash and rifle the deck.

Also, it discourages yelling "SETUP" when you get bad beated.

Yossarian147 05-17-2006 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I did that on the next hand.

Photoc 05-17-2006 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get kicked in the nuts by another player when you did? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VORP 05-17-2006 11:32 PM

Just for kicks I've run a few new setups through a shuffler and then spread the deck out to see what the distribution looked like. If anything they came out too shuffled, almost no consecutive suits, etc. So, yea, it's just to keep nits happy.

Warren Harding 05-18-2006 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway someone calls for a setup and it took about 5 minutes to get to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone ever try asking calling "no set up change" after someone calls "set up change"? I don't suppose it would do anything but annoy the dealer, but the arbitrarity would be staggering.

CORed 05-18-2006 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get kicked in the nuts by another player when you did? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you kicked everybody in the nuts that asked for a setup because they hope it will change their luck, you would wear your kicking leg to a stump.