Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   For moral relativists (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=483187)

pvn 08-21-2007 05:52 PM

For moral relativists

I've made this point several times in several threads, and never gotten a straight answer. So now I'm making an OP.

I'm open to the idea of alternative moral systems. i've always said so. I will say that of course people have subjective personal preferences when it comes to morals. And once a set of subjective personal preferences has been selected, moral systems CAN be objectively evaluated against those preferences.

My personal preferences are for moral systems which are consistent over those which are inconsistent, and for systems which treat all people as equal (morally) over systems that have different classes of people. Do you agree or disagree with those subjective preferences?

pvn 08-21-2007 06:04 PM

Re: For moral relativists

If you disagree, please state your preferences.

yellowbastard 08-21-2007 06:15 PM

Can objective moral values exist if God does not exist?

pvn 08-21-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Start your own thread. I'm not making any claim whether I personally believe morals are relative or not. I just want to see what people who do think they are realative think about these preferences.

pvn 08-21-2007 06:17 PM

And for those of you who don't read politics, this was posted in Politics and moved here.

yellowbastard 08-21-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Start your own thread. I'm not making any claim whether I personally believe morals are relative or not. I just want to see what people who do think they are realative think about these preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry, I thought this was a public discussion forum.

soon2bepro 08-21-2007 07:02 PM

I don't understand what I have to agree or disagree on. That all people should be treated equally?

foal 08-21-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal preferences are for moral systems which are consistent over those which are inconsistent, and for systems which treat all people as equal (morally) over systems that have different classes of people. Do you agree or disagree with those subjective preferences?

[/ QUOTE ]
Those statements are too broad and vague for me to agree with.

soon2bepro 08-21-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say no. But I think there's a way to kinda get one:

By analyzing people's practical and material preferences, which are of course subjective. Then you can come up with an objective set of moral values, but it's only good for that society, with those preferences.

PS: I'm not sure objective moral values can exist even with God. What, He tells you what they are? Does that qualify as objectively moral? I don't think so.

DougShrapnel 08-21-2007 07:25 PM

Pvn, I believe that there are certain advantages of a moral system that is quick at the cost of consistency. Not that I employ that strategy, but I'm not sure consistency is a clear favorite. A wrong action is often better than no action. Ultimately any moral system is judged by the benefits it provides to those that employ it.