Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Under what scenario do you play your best? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444414)

Hey_Porter 07-06-2007 11:39 AM

Under what scenario do you play your best?

What I mean is, in short, do you play your best when you are playing competitively, competitively for cash w/ friends, with friends, or by yourself?

I've found that I actually score lower when I play by myself, and yes, I count every stroke, and take no mulligans. I don't know why, maybe it's because when I play by myself it is usually evening, the course is wide open, and I just stand up and hit the ball. Over thinking the swing has always been an issue of mine.

Second, I play quite well competitively, e.g., golf team. I usually qualified as the 4th or 5th member, but always scored 2nd or 3rd on the team.

I probably equally well when I'm playing with a group, for money or not. Waiting kills my game (which makes it weird that I played well competitively), and the money we play for doesn't warrant a real "stepping up" if you will, although it does manage to slow the game down.

You?

guids 07-06-2007 11:45 AM

Re: Under what scenario do you play your best?

I rarely play by myself, unless its the 9 hole par 3 course (no bag is nice, 7 chip and putter), but when I play with friends, I play better if money is on the line, and much much better if my first 2 holes are solid, even if I bogey them, if I didnt make any big mistakes, the rest of the round goes much better.

The B 07-06-2007 11:48 AM

what about after 6 beers...

Ballzack 07-06-2007 12:15 PM

I play my best when playing for cash with players that are just a little better than I am.

My usual playing partners all shoot from 90-97 and I average 95-105 (with no money involved). So when we put money on the line I somehow can shoot good enough to save my money or even make a little.

1C5 07-06-2007 12:21 PM

the more money involved the better I play (up to a point)

this is because of 2 reasons. 1. I have always been a competitive athlete.

2. The golf stakes I play for are pretty small compared to how much I can lose or make in a few hours playing poker. So some friends may be pissed losing $200 in a round of golf (I dont often play for more than that) but for me it is not that big of a deal.

Hey_Porter 07-06-2007 12:46 PM

What DO people usually play for? We play real low. If it's a foursome, we'll play Wolf at a dollar a point, and I will usually have a couple $5 nassau's going with a couple of the guys. Not enough to get the blood pumping.

drewjustdrew 07-06-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the more money involved the better I play (up to a point)

this is because of 2 reasons. 1. I have always been a competitive athlete.

2. The golf stakes I play for are pretty small compared to how much I can lose or make in a few hours playing poker. So some friends may be pissed losing $200 in a round of golf (I dont often play for more than that) but for me it is not that big of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others playing worse does not mean you play better.

I play better with $0 on the line. <choker>

esad 07-06-2007 01:00 PM

Alone, in light rain, on a near empty course.

I'm not waiting on anybody and there is something about light falling rain that makes me swing with a sweet tempo.

duvvard 07-06-2007 04:49 PM

One of my best friends since middle school is a +2 handicap. I tend to play a lot better when I'm with him since it's more gratifying to beat him than most people.

Unfortunately the [censored] had to overtake me on the final 9 holes of the club championship 2 years ago the one time we played together where it actually mattered.

Also like esad just mentioned its always nice to play on a damp course where all your irons just stick to the green.

nolanfan34 07-06-2007 08:23 PM

http://www.aluminum.org/images/Alumi...ck_coors_1.jpg