Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Rock Band (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=443666)

Ghazban 11-25-2007 12:06 AM

Re: Rock Band

[ QUOTE ]
I think having someone sing for this game is one of the dumbest things ever. Who would want to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman LDO

GetThere1Time 11-25-2007 12:58 AM

maybe I'm weird but I love singing in this game

MC Chris 11-25-2007 01:00 AM

singing is very fun

EWS87 11-25-2007 08:18 AM

yea singing is the most fun part of the game imo...i imagine it is not too much fun for everyone else in the room though

nolanfan34 11-25-2007 03:11 PM

Got the game on Wednesday, and have been playing it a bit the last few days so I'll add a few impressions. Really loving the game so far!

- As mentioned, the guitar is pretty easy compared to GH. On solo career, I was getting 100% on pretty much everything on Medium on the first try, and I'm not very good compared to most on here. Toward the end of medium, it is starting to get a little harder. The good thing about this, is it makes it a little easier for people to pick up the game who haven't played it before.

- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

- Haven't had any problem activating star power with the Fender guitar. I will say I don't like the strum bar on it at all, so most of the time I'm using the GH3 guitar.

- Drums are awesome as expected. Even on easy they can be a little challenging at first when you factor in the bass pedal. I tried a few songs on medium, and my leg was worn out after a while from that damn pedal.

- Singing is also awesome IMO. Very fun, and the engine for grading the tone/pitch seems to work pretty well. I've only played on Medium solo career so far. Singing songs you haven't heard before, or don't know the lyrics/tune, is difficult for sure.

- Singing brag: 100% on Learn to Fly on medium
- Singing beat: 3 stars on Sabotage? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I suck at the spoken word/non pitch graded parts. (maybe this is explained in the tutorial, haven't tried that)
- Singing variance: 99% on the Garbage song, so I guess I can also pull off Shirley Manson.

Beavis68 11-25-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am now immortal, since "How do you kill that which has no life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

MC Chris 11-26-2007 01:29 PM

yeah nolan, the spoken word part you just.. speak.

DonkeyKongSr 11-26-2007 01:43 PM

Played this at a friends house this weekend. There were 3 of us (our drummer got caught up with his GF). I began by singing, although I'm not very good, and still had a blast. However, I couldn't handle the Hole song on Medium and eventually our guitarist swapped with me and he nailed it. He even 100%ed Vasoline on his first shot. I proceeded to 100% In Bloom the first two times I tried it on Medium.

I played the drums a few songs, but it's tough even on easy and it really is tiring. Not sure if I'll play them much. Drums never really appealed to me.

Overall, the game is awesome. The campaign mode is 100x more fun than GH, although it seemed like 1 of every 10 songs was Dead or Alive.

Oh side note, we used the Xplorer for the lead guitar and the RB guitar for bass. The strumbar broke on the RB guitar and wouldn't spring back up when you strummed down. My friend went to the EA website and they are shipping out a new guitar within a couple days and he's supposed to send the other one back. So, they did a horrible job making the guitar, but at least they made the replacement process easy.

DonkeyKongSr 11-26-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the mic, you just sing anything when the yellow section comes on and it activates. I believe in overdrive mode you are allowed to add tons of extra lyrics in between the actual ones without penalty.

On the drums, I think you play random stuff in the yellow zone and then nail that last note that pops up.

BTW, the songs that let you jam at the end are a blast. We'd just yell random crap in the mic while wailing away on the instruments racking up points.

bottomset 11-26-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

so annoying, it plagues GH1, 2 and RockBand

only GH3 got it right, while GH3 has the loosest timing window, it could have the tightest one, and it still be the easiest to play the HO/PO because of the better recognition

dknightx 11-26-2007 02:29 PM

question ... ive only played guitar hero once, and i was playing rock band over the weekend, and on some of the expert songs, on the fast parts, i was having trouble strumming and fingering the notes at the same time. Then I noticed that at some times (not in the solo sections), i only had to strum the first note in the riff, and then just finger the 2nd (and maybe 3rd?) note. But then i wasnt very confident as to when I could just strum once, or i had to strum for every note ... whats the rule/trick behind this?

MuresanForMVP 11-26-2007 02:50 PM

just quick question: I was watching a video of rock band on youtube, and the notes for the guitar looked impossible to distinguish, is it normally that much of a cluster F?

notontilt09 11-26-2007 08:06 PM

it's tough at first... but gets easier to distinguish... when playing with 4 people however, it's nearly impossible

nolanfan34 11-26-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only GH3 got it right, while GH3 has the loosest timing window, it could have the tightest one, and it still be the easiest to play the HO/PO because of the better recognition

[/ QUOTE ]

At least with 2 (didn't play 1), you can tell which notes the HO/PO's are. With Rock Band, my point is that it's hard to tell altogether which ones are which, when they're coming fast. Agreed though that the window of recognition to nail them is really tight.

nolanfan34 11-26-2007 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah nolan, the spoken word part you just.. speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I get that, for some reason I get "weak" a lot for those parts, which I can't figure out. I must be doing something wrong.

JackWilson 11-26-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least with 2 (didn't play 1), you can tell which notes the HO/PO's are. With Rock Band, my point is that it's hard to tell altogether which ones are which, when they're coming fast. Agreed though that the window of recognition to nail them is really tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you can tell. If they're close enough together? On the screen or time wise? I've never been able to figure it out. I know which ones I can hammer now and which I can't. On some songs it's obvious, but not when the notes are further apart but still hammer-able.

MC Chris 11-27-2007 01:56 AM

in 2 it was easy... HO/PO notes didn't have that ring on the top, they were just colored with a white top. i dunno.. pretty easy to tell imo

MuresanForMVP 11-27-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in 2 it was easy... HO/PO notes didn't have that ring on the top, they were just colored with a white top. i dunno.. pretty easy to tell imo

[/ QUOTE ]

and you got used to the sounds of the songs. You just kinda knew where the HO belonged. I'm having a big problem with GH3 cause they put them in the most random places.

ehafner 11-27-2007 05:33 PM

Yay my band, Genitalia, has reached the hall of fame. Don't think we'll ever be legends though, that endless setlist is ridiculous.

chuckleslovakian 12-01-2007 05:57 AM

Goddamn just finished the endless setlist. That took a long ass time. Only managed to fail on one song when someone else took lead guitar away from me on Train keeps rolling. I got greedy and didnt save a star power for him.

Also during that endless setlist we are now 38th on the career leaderboards. We have quite a few top 50 scores but we are most proud of our 3rd on Epic. We plan to work on getting higher after recovering from that marathon.

EWS87 12-02-2007 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand why they made it impossible to have a 4 person band...there is no individual guitar for sale and the GH guitar doesn't work...what gives

[/ QUOTE ]

the xplorer one works, and I believe the les paul one works as well

[/ QUOTE ]

bottom set is right...we didnt like the new guitar so we beat it with the les.

rank system for online play owns....

[/ QUOTE ]

ps3 has been out for over a year now i think its time to stop assuming 360 is the only console out there

chuckleslovakian 12-02-2007 04:52 AM

I have just been handed a court order by The Police and Kentucky to never sing Roxanne again. I didn't know such a court order existed.