Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   IGN Top 100 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550866)

JuntMonkey 11-20-2007 07:01 PM

IGN Top 100

I look forward to IGN's Top 100 lists every couple of years, and to my pleasant surprise the new one just started:

http://top100.ign.com/2007/index.html

Nothing earth-shattering yet.

Jam 11-20-2007 07:19 PM

Re: IGN Top 100

let me know when you get to #1

JMa 11-20-2007 08:17 PM

they should get a rss feed for this

DonkeyKongSr 11-20-2007 08:41 PM

Pilotwings is the only one of 100-91 that I've played more than a lit bit. Glad to see it. Underrated game, especially considering the time it came out.

Chris Daddy Cool 11-20-2007 11:26 PM

of 100-81, the only games i have played are

96. waverace64
95. bionic commando
87. advance wars
86. perfect dark
81. space invaders
of the ones i've listed, advance wars and perfect dark were my favs.

ign does this list every year. does the list change much or is it just updated to include new games?

Jack Bando 11-21-2007 12:52 AM

Archon's a decent game-not a top 100 game though

Silent Hill 2 was excellent, one of the best stories I've ever seen

Bionic Commando's a good game, never bought into the hype though

I wish I played Advance Wars more. I don't know where it is though.

Perfect Dark is probably too low.

Space Invaders feels like a token game on the list. "You're an old game that was okay? SUPER!"

JuntMonkey 11-21-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ign does this list every year. does the list change much or is it just updated to include new games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every 2 years. The lists change a decent amount. They explain in the intro that it's 2 more years of new games, plus more perspective on older games, plus some different people ranking them, plus tastes just change.

Past lists are here:

http://top100.ign.com/2003/
http://top100.ign.com/2005/

The 2004 and 2006 URLs have Readers' Choice lists, which are horrendous.

The comments at the bottom of the current list put me on serious tilt. One guy said the top 5 games "in history" are Goldeneye, the Hitman "saga", the Splinter Cell "saga", the Super Mario "saga", and the Tekken "saga".

Chilltown 11-21-2007 07:10 AM

I still see Ocarina and the original Mario Bros getting 1 and 2.

goofyballer 11-21-2007 07:42 AM

Quake II is #98?? THIS IS A TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!

I suppose it wouldn't be as high as Quake simply given that it wasn't the first Quake, even though its engine, single-player campaign, and multiplayer were all vastly better than Quake I and vastly better than any other game at the time. Half-Life (built on the Q2 engine) didn't come around for another year.

Plus, Quake II was probably the last disc you could put into a CD player and [censored] rock out to. Awesome soundtrack.

Mafia is a pretty solid choice at #85, forgot how much fun that game was.

Corpsebean 11-21-2007 07:46 AM

These lists suck, IGN needs to remove their collective lips from Nintendo's ballsack.

bazooka87 11-21-2007 11:03 AM

Err what would you have as number one then?

DVaut1 11-21-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Splinter Cell "saga", the Super Mario "saga", and the Tekken "saga".

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you just don't understand how brilliant adaptations of Tom Clancy works in video game form, the constant interplay between the Mario, his angst ridden brother Luigi, their maiden Princess, and and the evil tyrant, Bowser (and sometimes his children), and, ummm...a fighting tournament like Tekken...constitute Milton like sagas.

The Iliad and the Odyssey? WTF, plz. Odysseus and Agamemnon don't have [censored] on the character depth Namco developed in Yoshimitsu and Paul Phoenix. Tekken "saga" ftw

Jack of Arcades 11-21-2007 12:36 PM

I wish Mario had enough characters to make a Godfather parody.

Luigi = fredo imo.

grando 11-21-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still see Ocarina and the original Mario Bros getting 1 and 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa thanks for reminding me to finish ocarina of time

Gib 11-22-2007 12:04 AM

wow i forgot how awesome Syndicate was/is, plus I'm gunna search everywhere for DOTT.

Also gotta get one of these:

http://codesmedia.ign.com/codes/imag...oxart_160w.jpg

g-bebe 11-22-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish Mario had enough characters to make a Godfather parody.

Luigi = fredo imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

the animation for it would be hilarious, but there's nowhere near enough characters. though toad = tom hagen imo.

caught_clean 11-22-2007 12:05 PM

LOL at FF7 being in the 70s

Jernau 11-22-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quake II is #98?? THIS IS A TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!

I suppose it wouldn't be as high as Quake simply given that it wasn't the first Quake, even though its engine, single-player campaign, and multiplayer were all vastly better than Quake I and vastly better than any other game at the time. Half-Life (built on the Q2 engine) didn't come around for another year.

Plus, Quake II was probably the last disc you could put into a CD player and [censored] rock out to. Awesome soundtrack.

Mafia is a pretty solid choice at #85, forgot how much fun that game was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quake was truly ground-breaking, whereas Quake II was just more of the same with accelerated graphics and polished multi-player - to be honest I'm a little surprised that Quake II made the list at all.

Also, Half-Life was based on a heavily modified version of the original Quake engine; GoldSrc.

Zimmer4141 11-22-2007 12:45 PM

LOL at "Sam and Max hit the road" over Final Fantasy 7 and Goldeneye. I've never even heard of that game, let alone heard of it being good enough to be ranked higher than what are argued by some as the best RPG and best FPS of all time.

Yads 11-22-2007 02:30 PM

Sam and Max was so good.

devooolasvegas 11-22-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam and Max was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreeed.

goofyballer 11-22-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never even heard of that game

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be honest, that's a crappy reason to knock a game.

I haven't played FF7 but GoldenEye was a big development in FPS games...for consoles. You're probably going to be surprised when no-name games you've never heard of like, say, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are ranked higher than Halo 2, amirite?

JuntMonkey 11-22-2007 03:33 PM

FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

TehVader 11-22-2007 04:15 PM

What made GoldenEye so awesome was the multiplayer which afaik was very uncommon on consoles. I must admit I've spent countless hours playing that but I've never made it past the first level of the single-player.

g-bebe 11-22-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to look at Goldeneye from the time it was made. 1997, there was nothing of it's quality available for the FPS genre for consoles, or for the multiplayer experience. Obviously HL1/2 and Halo took what it did and improved upon it, but I don't see what about it didn't hold up well.

Chilltown 11-22-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah Goldeneye is a very tough game to judge. On one hand when it came out everything about it was awesome and completely addicting single and multi player wise. Half Life comes out, destroys its single player game (and you are absolutely right Halo was the next revolution in console FPS's)...then an onslaught of crack like online FPS's like Counter Strike, Rainbow 6, Unreal Tourmanents; tough to play Goldeneye 4 player split it when you have a team of 8 going against another with voice communication and everything. I will agree with others though...for what it was when it came out it should easily deserve a spot in the top 50 at least...maybe 30.

I always thought FF7 was weak. =/ I played the SNES RGP's and it wasn't mind blowing besides the CGI I guess.

g-bebe 11-22-2007 05:06 PM

When it (FF7) was new, whenever I went over to my friends house, his brother was always playing it and it looked pretty sweet. I should get my hands on it and play it.

Gib 11-22-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam and Max was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, weird I was a huge fan of Secret of Monkey Island & DOTT, yet I've never played Sam & Max. Can't believe I let that one slip!

SBR 11-22-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at "Sam and Max hit the road" over Final Fantasy 7 and Goldeneye. I've never even heard of that game, let alone heard of it being good enough to be ranked higher than what are argued by some as the best RPG and best FPS of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam and Max hit the road is an amazing game and the fact that you've never heard of it makes all your opinions suspect.

The fact that you think FF7 and Goldeneye are arguably the best RPG and FPS of all time makes all of your opinions worthless.

JuntMonkey 11-22-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam and Max hit the road is an amazing game and the fact that you've never heard of it makes all your opinions suspect.

The fact that you think FF7 and Goldeneye are arguably the best RPG and FPS of all time makes all of your opinions worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I wouldn't go that far. You could make "legitimate" arguments for both being the best, but it's pretty clear upon reflection that neither is the best in their genre, groundbreaking and amazing as they may be.

Zimmer4141 11-22-2007 10:11 PM

Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

pwnsall 11-22-2007 10:38 PM

Day of the Tentacle is a very fun game, but I didn't know it was actually considered good. Anyone else ever play it?

I don't think I could put FF7 much higher because FF3 is much better. Should probably get around to beating chrono trigger one of these days, I keep hearing good things.

jah7_fsu1 11-22-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.

Jack Bando 11-22-2007 11:33 PM

Happy to see Secret of Mana on the list

Surprised to see Link's Awakening. Good game though.

Star Fox is a great game, but SF64 better be on the list then.

FF7 makes the list at 76, although it would hit #1 in most overrated RPGs. Take out the FMVs and it's average. The game pales to FF6,C Trigger, Secret of Mana,FFT, and Suikoden 2

Goldeneye, the game I played to death 7th-8th grade. Classic

RE1 makes the list, it was a good game for it's time and did start the RE franchise, and inspired Silent Hill and Fatal Frame (among others)

Tecmo Bowl? No TSB? Outrageous.

MGS2 is kind of high on the list. The plot was awful.

Mega Man 2! W00T

Wolfenstein, great game but liked Doom more.

goofyballer 11-22-2007 11:50 PM

Doom should be top 10, maybe top 20.

Prince of Persia is a good pick, that game was awesome. The plot was really engaging too, by the end of the game it was like a book I couldn't put down.

pwnsall 11-22-2007 11:54 PM

For the FF games I have played I would go 6>>>7>9>10>>>>>8. I always felt 9 was very underrated.

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2007 12:02 AM

9 was terrible, if we're just going from 6 on it's (imo, which is weird) 6 >> 10 >>>> 8 > 7 >>>>>>>>>>> 9

pwnsall 11-23-2007 12:11 AM

I ranked the ones I've played. I've also played some gameboy ones I think but I dunno how those relate. 8 is awful and 10 is meh. I mean, I don't want to spend all [censored] game tediously upgrading. Not sure who thought up that idea. Plus the story was very meh and I don't think it even really made sense. I basically beat the game by skipping fights and then charging up whatever the limit break things are and killing bosses with them. Plus you couldn't fly around the world map. I change my mind and rank 10 the worst and easily most overrated.

Shadowrun 11-23-2007 12:14 AM

Out of the FF that i remember well i would go

Jap 6/US 3>>>10>>>7>4>5>>> >8>9

Of course it is quite subjective and a lot of my friends really like 9 for some reason (personally i dont). I also havent rated any games post 10.

Shadowrun 11-23-2007 12:17 AM

umm I guess you mean actually flying right? B/c you could unlock the airship and go to places by selecting them or picking the right coordinates (for the secret places).

Story made a lot of sense not sure what your problem is with it.