Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Troy Williamson docked paycheck to attend grandmother's funeral (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542084)

kyro 11-09-2007 11:08 AM

Troy Williamson docked paycheck to attend grandmother\'s funeral

ESPN story

Thoughts on this? I say [censored] the Vikings and [censored] Brad Childress for "citing the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members"

I dunno, stuff like this bothers me. Shouldn't he get some sort of bereavement pay? I may not understand the situation very well.

Case Closed 11-09-2007 11:27 AM

Re: Troy Williamson docked paycheck to attend grandmother\'s funeral

In a business where PR appears to be very important this seems like a very silly move.

Hollywade 11-09-2007 11:27 AM

I'm not reading the story, because I don't have time this morning. However, if what you say is true, this is absolutely ridiculous.

kyro 11-09-2007 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not reading the story, because I don't have time this morning. However, if what you say is true, this is absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the issues, I guess, is that the funeral was held on Monday, so Williamson flew out the day before and missed the game. He handled all the arrangements, and apparently was very close with his grandmother.

rsk111 11-09-2007 11:44 AM

If I owned the vikings, I wouldn't have such a policy.

However, if I was an outsider asked to evaluate the situation, I see it a little differently. If this was an established team policy (preferably written down somewhere) and there were no exceptions made in the past, then I woudn't think that Williamson was treated unfairly. He just found himself in an unfortunate situation.

So, if I was in charge of deciding his appeal, and my asumptions are true (established policy, no prior exceptions), then I would regretfully deny his appeal.

Richard Tanner 11-09-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I owned the vikings, I wouldn't have such a policy.

However, if I was an outsider asked to evaluate the situation, I see it a little differently. If this was an established team policy (preferably written down somewhere) and there were no exceptions made in the past, then I woudn't think that Williamson was treated unfairly. He just found himself in an unfortunate situation.

So, if I was in charge of deciding his appeal, and my asumptions are true (established policy, no prior exceptions), then I would regretfully deny his appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bout covers it. Dumb policy, but it is policy. Really an all-around bad spot to be in.

Cody

Thremp 11-09-2007 11:52 AM

He should be docked. I'd dock him as well.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-09-2007 11:56 AM

this is one area where athletes are held to much higher standards than almost anyone else. if my mother dies, almost anybody could take a week off...but b/c NFL players only "need" to work 16 times a year, they basically need to be there, hell or high water.

I can't imagine missing the birth of my child b/c of my job, but these guys might be expected to

Dids 11-09-2007 12:00 PM

If you were a team and didn't suck, I can see getting heated. Given the Vike's position, there's no incentive to win games right now.

Startinv Tavaris Jackson is a much greater detriment to the team than Troy Williamson missing a game, and I don't see Childress fining himself.

Thremp 11-09-2007 12:04 PM

You are paid to play. He didn't play. Ergo he shouldn't be paid.

Edited to remove slur.