Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Beat - The US Dollar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534527)

[Phill] 10-30-2007 10:31 AM

Beat - The US Dollar

Just had this flash up on google bar:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7069087.stm

"The UK pound has hit its highest level against the US dollar in 26 years."

"The pound rose as high as $2.066 in earlier trading, before paring gains slightly to $2.064."

My expenses are in £s. My earnings are in $. Urgh. Poker is getting harder and the as the $/hr drops so does the value of that $. Double Urgh.

Paul B. 10-30-2007 10:33 AM

Re: Beat - The US Dollar

move

[Phill] 10-30-2007 10:35 AM

For all the negatives of the UK, i really do love everything about it, even the weather!

ShipItAllPlzFish 10-30-2007 10:38 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

stigmata 10-30-2007 10:40 AM

play on party and keep your roll in gbp

stigmata 10-30-2007 10:41 AM

oh oops too late

2hi4me2cu 10-30-2007 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For all the negatives of the UK, i really do love everything about it, even the weather!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fk off man, i hate the weather here... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

get up to go to work... *dark*

Come home from work... *dark*

weekends *grey and rains alot*

fuuuuuuu!! :>

Louis Vuitton 10-30-2007 10:55 AM

Brag: euros <3

Daddy Warbucks 10-30-2007 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His winrate is still in dollars.

pinkis_4girls 10-30-2007 11:12 AM

same situation. then plus is that its now cheaper to move up.

MatthijsH 10-30-2007 11:16 AM

The US economy is a joke. You heard it here first.

Ajahn 10-30-2007 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 'native' gpb? Meaning, no conversion rates anywhere (if your neteller or whatever account is in the same), and if you sit at tables, it shows the amounts in GBP? Or how does that work?

yli 10-30-2007 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But his roll will increase in value relative to the $. So move up!

scott2130 10-30-2007 11:36 AM

I've noticed. My friend got layed off yesterday and I figure I have a month left.

But if you guys can play for a living so can I. At least until my savings runs out.

Daddy Warbucks 10-30-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the players going to get accordingly worse?

Choparno 10-30-2007 12:00 PM

Same situation here. Aussie $ keeps strengthening against the US $ aaaargh lkajsdalasdsd....

runhot 10-30-2007 12:09 PM

short the pound

Brocken 10-30-2007 12:15 PM

I don't mind... by the time I'm a big time poker pro my bankroll will be huge, in dollars, and the dollar will have gone back to £1.50 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

yli 10-30-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the players going to get accordingly worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he will hopefully have more motivation to move up because of the bigger bankroll.

Todpullen 10-30-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 'native' gpb? Meaning, no conversion rates anywhere (if your neteller or whatever account is in the same), and if you sit at tables, it shows the amounts in GBP? Or how does that work?

[/ QUOTE ]

The account can be in sterling (or euros) but the tables still play in US dollars - so the money gets converted back and forth as you sit at a table and cash out. It is the same conversion rate for buying into a table and cashing out.

wems 10-30-2007 12:25 PM

brag: us dollar > pound

vbm 10-30-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No

mlagoo 10-30-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh

DonkeyKing 10-30-2007 01:12 PM

beat: werms IQ

DoTheMath 10-30-2007 01:15 PM

The Canadian dollar just hit a 47 year high vs. the US Dollar.

From Canadian Press:
[ QUOTE ]
The loonie soared to heights not seen in nearly half a century Monday, briefly rising above US$1.05 before settling just below that mark, at 104.96 cents US.

That's a gain of more than a cent since Friday's 103.93 close. The last time the currency was that high was 1960 - when John Diefenbaker was prime minister and Dwight Eisenhower was still in the White House.

[/ QUOTE ]

leo. 10-30-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind... by the time I'm a big time poker pro my bankroll will be huge, in dollars, and the dollar will have gone back to £1.50 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me the dollar is going to continue to weaken, stars and full tilt players will see their bankrolls become more worthless.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6661/dollarpd7.jpg

jj12 10-30-2007 01:38 PM

short it

Zele 10-30-2007 01:54 PM

Bright side: bigger budget Vegas trips (also Japan/Mexico/Zimbabwe).

jono 10-30-2007 02:11 PM

Canack dollar is worth more now isn't it

AKA Squared 10-30-2007 02:16 PM

The amazing thing here is watching all the non-American posters gloat. I guess basing your national pride on exchange rates is one of those things every country in the world except America is into, like soccer or the metric system. Wonder how long it takes before you all break out in howls of impotent rage: "But, you're humiliated! You lost your life savings! How dare you not notice!"

SpecT 10-30-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same situation here. Aussie $ keeps strengthening against the US $ aaaargh lkajsdalasdsd....

[/ QUOTE ]

Iq75 10-30-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The amazing thing here is watching all the non-American posters gloat. I guess basing your national pride on exchange rates is one of those things every country in the world except America is into, like soccer or the metric system. Wonder how long it takes before you all break out in howls of impotent rage: "But, you're humiliated! You lost your life savings! How dare you not notice!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you did not notice but OP does not seem very happy about the fact that the US dollar is becoming weaker and weaker. Same goes for most of the nonUS poker players i would guess.

It would be great if Party chanced the currency in the real money tables for euros (we could still use the $'s as a substitute for play money). It sucks so much that my roll is constantly taking hits because the US cant keep their economy in balance. Not to mention that i'm sliding down in stakes because of this.

PBJaxx 10-30-2007 03:01 PM

Meh, you don't pay taxes on your earnings, right? Ill trade you situations.

yteba 10-30-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As a non-american poster, I agree its obnoxious.
Claiming americans are above this type of behaviour may be a bit rash though, I mean have you never heard an american crack a joke about Zimbabwan inflation or similar?

AKA Squared 10-30-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a non-american poster, I agree its obnoxious.
Claiming americans are above this type of behaviour may be a bit rash though, I mean have you never heard an american crack a joke about Zimbabwan inflation or similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Other countries losing wars, sure.

BTW, if there's any more domestic inflation than usual, I haven't noticed it. Which probably means this is purely an artifact of the currency markets; either the dollar was overvalued before or it's undervalued now.

excession 10-30-2007 03:26 PM

play on euro or brit sites?

i am seriously considering it - so far as I can see the £1/2 Crypto tables play much the same as the $1/$2 ones at Stars or FTP these days - I know the rake cap is £3 but that only adds a small amount to rake overall - compared to a 2.07 winnings multiplier anyway

augie_ 10-30-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Choparno 10-30-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you retarted? We are COMPLAINING that our currencies are gaining in strength relative to the US $ because we play in US $ and hence our bankrolls are worth less. The gloating, at least on my part, is a figment of your apparently sensitive American ego.

DoTheMath 10-30-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if there's any more domestic inflation than usual, I haven't noticed it. Which probably means this is purely an artifact of the currency markets; either the dollar was overvalued before or it's undervalued now.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL. There are more factors than domestic consumer inflation that affect the value of a currency. Ratio of foreign debt to GDP comes to mind.

AKA Squared 10-30-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you retarted? We are COMPLAINING that our currencies are gaining in strength relative to the US $ because we play in US $ and hence our bankrolls are worth less. The gloating, at least on my part, is a figment of your apparently sensitive American ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

The subject line escapes you.

It was: "Re: Beat - The US Dollar [Re: leo.] "

So go read what leo. wrote.

Or don't. Just throw around insults.