Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Raised on turn after I pick up draw, I 3bet (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554729)

efficacy 11-26-2007 12:09 PM

Raised on turn after I pick up draw, I 3bet

pstars 5/10 6 handed

villain is like 21/17 over smallish sample, no history with this guy.

preflop: villain opens in CO, I call in BB with QJo and we go to the flop HU.

flop K72r: I c/r... he paaaaaaaaaauses, and finally calls.

turn Tr: I bet, he insta-raises and I insta-3bet.

Isn't his turn raise a rebluff or free showdown raise a good portion of the time? Or should I be giving him more credit since we have no history?

Wolfram 11-26-2007 12:18 PM

Re: Raised on turn after I pick up draw, I 3bet

Give him credit because of no history and his stats say he's a nit. Also, what hand could he be representing? That Ten isn't exactly a big scarecard.

He has to figure that you're calling down with most of then hands that you c/r for value so the only hands he folds out are bluffs.

On top of that I find that very often these "thinking" pauses are just the nuts trying to be tricky. The board is dry so it's not like he has to spend a lot of time figuring out his hidden outs vs pot odds etc.

Oink 11-26-2007 12:40 PM

Spew

He has Kx or better. When people pause on the flop and insta raise the turn they have TP+ 99.9% of the time in my experience

Apanage 11-26-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't his turn raise a rebluff or free showdown raise a good portion of the time? Or should I be giving him more credit since we have no history?

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from a guy with this stats it is a rebluff just about never.A free showdown raise maybe but I wouldnīt get my hopes up high.

istewart 11-26-2007 12:48 PM

A lot of players have AQ/AJ/QJ here and were thinking what they wanted to do in the hand on the flop and then they "FSD" or semibluff raise the turn when they pick up outs. But you need some history to do this imo. Obviously it's good for image though, since you gotta bet the river.

efficacy 11-26-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of players have AQ/AJ/QJ here and were thinking what they wanted to do in the hand on the flop and then they "FSD" or semibluff raise the turn when they pick up outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I thought he was thinking about on the flop.

Apanage 11-26-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of players have AQ/AJ/QJ here and were thinking what they wanted to do in the hand on the flop and then they "FSD" or semibluff raise the turn when they pick up outs. But you need some history to do this imo. Obviously it's good for image though, since you gotta bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! The stars games plays so differently than my games.
Iīm a tight player and Iīm not anywhere near so tight as villain.
When Iīm raising turn I have at least a king 100% of the time.
Everyone knows that this is a perfect spot to bluff against a preflopraiser.As a preflop raiser you often donīt have a hand to stand up with.So calling the checkraise on flop and reraising the turn when you have a hand is a must trying to make it expensive for the checkraiser.

If I ever would semibluffraise or raise for a free showdown I would do it because I thought that my opponent were likely to drop a better hand right there.Maybe Efficiacy could let go of a 7 but I wouldnīt hope for that.

SuperUberBob 11-26-2007 01:29 PM

This guy's is probably holding on to a top pair, no kicker hand. He also might have had TT and caught a set.

In either case, you have 8 outs. Call the turn and fold river if you don't hit your straight.

Wolfram 11-26-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of players have AQ/AJ/QJ here and were thinking what they wanted to do in the hand on the flop and then they "FSD" or semibluff raise the turn when they pick up outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have a "likes to fsdr" read on the guy. You're just putting him on the hand that you want him to have.

efficacy 11-26-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have a "likes to fsdr" read on the guy. You're just putting him on the hand that you want him to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...1/22595197.jpg