Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   my solution to the gay marriage argument (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549672)

Inso0 11-20-2007 04:33 PM

Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
I stated that I can not give custody of my child to my life partner if I die even though we are both raising it. Legally my life partner is some random dude. The government is tearing apart my family because of my death. It's quite sad that the fear irrational of gays can cause this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that if you die, the government isn't going to allow you to grand custody of your child to whoever the hell you want, as long as that other party agrees?

Are you leveling me again?

elwoodblues 11-20-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It turns out that every single US citizen has exactly the same right to get married. If that wasn't the case, the 14th amendment would have been invoked to overturn unconstitutional laws long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't.

Anne has the right to marry Bob.
John does not have the right to marry Bob.
The ONLY reason John does not have the right to marry Bob is because of his gender.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he means is that a man can only marry a woman, eg a straight man can't marry another straight man, he can only marry a woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what he was trying to say. It was the EXACT SAME argument that was tried when there were laws against inter-racial marriage. Everyone had the same rights (i.e. to only marry those in their race.) This argument was denounced by the court.

Inso0 11-20-2007 04:36 PM

Why don't the polygamists have the same rights as gays? Who are we to deny those 3, 4, 5, or 30 people the right to a legal marriage and all of the benefits?

InTheDark 11-20-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't the polygamists have the same rights as gays? Who are we to deny those 3, 4, 5, or 30 people the right to a legal marriage and all of the benefits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to marry my stapler. Can you work that one in too?

mbillie1 11-20-2007 04:39 PM

i'd like you all to marry some anthrax

NeBlis 11-20-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/agree .. good to see your begining to think more clearly

Case Closed 11-20-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stated that I can not give custody of my child to my life partner if I die even though we are both raising it. Legally my life partner is some random dude. The government is tearing apart my family because of my death. It's quite sad that the fear irrational of gays can cause this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that if you die, the government isn't going to allow you to grand custody of your child to whoever the hell you want, as long as that other party agrees?

[/ QUOTE ]
No attempt to level. Right now I am trying to cite some evidence of this since you don't believe me.

Inso0 11-20-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not.

NeBlis 11-20-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Argument ad absurdum doesn't work as well here as it does on the lawn after church pal.

Since a stapler is nor a sentient being possessing free will to consent then I would say NO.

Same goes for lower animals. Maybe you could marry a Dolphin but I would need to here a pretty convincing argument.

either way no tax breaks for anyone. And no special treatment.

Case Closed 11-20-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Link to about.com stuff
[ QUOTE ]
What happens if children in gay and lesbian couple households can't be adopted (or the parents aren't granted legal custody)?

* By banning gay adoption, children in gay couple households have no legal status should something happen to the parents, including death or serious illness.

* Neither the parent or child has visitation rights if the parents separate.

* The child cannot claim inheritances or other household assets in case of death.

* If one parent dies, the second parent has no legal right to take custody or care for the child.

* A parent without legal right to a child cannot legally register him/her for school.

* Parents cannot put children on some health insurance plans.

* Parents cannot make medical decisions for the child.

* The child has no claim to the social security or other insurance benefits of the parent.

* Gay couple parents without adoption rights do not benefit from the generous tax deductions granted to heterosexual parents.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, there it is. If they were allowed to be legally married, this stuff would not be a problem.