Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Bizarre river raise (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544413)

private joker 11-12-2007 03:40 PM

Bizarre river raise

(This is Commerce 20/40 if it matters)

A fairly loose-aggressive player opens in EP; I 3-bet in the hijack with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. A very strange player takes 3 to the face on the button. He's been playing incredibly aggressive preflop and then spazzy post-flop, which often means checking monsters and semi-bluff raising the turn. It's hard to put him on hands; I guess he's a thinking LAG with FPS. Blinds fold, EP calls the 3-bet.

Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, button calls, EP calls.

Turn brings 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, both call.

River is the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP checks, I bet, button raises, EP folds, and I... ?

cgrohman 11-12-2007 03:45 PM

Re: Bizarre river raise

This is a flush almost 100% of the time, correct? A set would have to put in a raise somewhere, right? And it's unlikely that he is going to call 3 with 93 73 or 53. Even if it's not a flush, I can't see him paying you off with less than a flush. Given that you have both the K and Q, I just call.

Fianchetto 11-12-2007 03:47 PM

Hard to believe he wouldn't raise w/ a set before the river, or a flush for that matter, and you beat most flushes.

I 3-bet this river.

afish 11-12-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to put him on hands; I guess he's a thinking LAG with FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't fold, since he could be raising a smaller flush or trips. You can't raise, since you are probably a dog against hands that will call your raise or reraise. Therefore you call.

n.s. 11-12-2007 04:27 PM

I can't see doing anything buy calling here - this guy could easily have the nut flush or a boat. We need a good read to 3-bet, and we don't have one. Plus it's not that out of line for him to call twice with a strong hand, because he could have been trying to get overcalls from SB.

Is it wrong to want to just check the flop here?

Garland 11-12-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to believe he wouldn't raise w/ a set before the river, or a flush for that matter, and you beat most flushes.

I 3-bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess you would also endorse calling 4 as well?

Garland

private joker 11-12-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What for? Not only are we ahead of their PF ranges pretty often, but we flopped a flush draw and two overs. This doesn't seem like the spot to refuse making a continuation bet. Plus, if we check and there's a bet and raise into us, cold-calling turns our hand face up.

Howard Beale 11-12-2007 04:42 PM

Maybe it's a weakness of mine but when I've shown as much strength as it's possible to show and then I get raised I've got to have a pretty darn good reason to re-raise and I don't see that reason here so I just call.

cgrohman 11-12-2007 04:45 PM

It's ridiculous to check this flop.

Howard Beale 11-12-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What for? Not only are we ahead of their PF ranges pretty often, but we flopped a flush draw and two overs. This doesn't seem like the spot to refuse making a continuation bet. Plus, if we check and there's a bet and raise into us, cold-calling turns our hand face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting/raising this flop is as automatic as they come.