Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370593)

LinusKS 04-02-2007 08:35 PM

Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism?

If economic totalitarianism is defined as "an economic system whereby absolute, exclusionary rule is established by concentrating the means of production and distribution into the hands of a few, but whose mechanisms are not necessarily controlled or owned by government," is ACism a form of totalitarianism?

Or to put it differently, isn't the "ultimate decision-making power" claimed by property owners in an anarcho-state, the functional equivalent of a feudal form of government?

ShakeZula06 04-02-2007 08:41 PM

Re: Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism?

[ QUOTE ]
If economic totalitarianism is defined as "an economic system whereby absolute, exclusionary rule is established by concentrating the means of production and distribution into the hands of a few, but whose mechanisms are not necessarily controlled or owned by government," is ACism a form of totalitarianism?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
[ QUOTE ]
Or to put it differently, isn't the "ultimate decision-making power" claimed by property owners in an anarcho-state, the functional equivalent of a feudal form of government?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

iron81 04-02-2007 08:41 PM

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0052.gif

hmkpoker 04-02-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0052.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The show may be short. ShakeZula's already figured out that this is futile, and I'm just posting to declare my boycott of this thread.

valtaherra 04-02-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

nietzreznor 04-02-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why assume that a stateless society will lead to a few people owning most of the property? Historically, the instances of massive inequality (including present society) have been brought about by the State. By eliminating the state, I think it would be quite difficult for anyone or any small group to have so much (economic) power.

LinusKS 04-02-2007 10:22 PM

Suppose - to take a hypothetical - that a king notices unrest among his peasants. He has, of course, a mercenary army at his disposal, but for whatever reasons he'd prefer not to use it.

He issues a decree, in which he abdicates, disbands his government, and sets up an auction. He then buys up the land the peasants live on.

The peasants are now free of taxes. Instead, they must pay rent. He stops calling his men "mercenaries," and starts calling them a "Private Defense Association," instead.

What, if anything, has changed?

Does the king have any less authority over the peasants as their private landlord, than he did when he was their monarch?

AlexM 04-02-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

There comes a point where ignorance is no longer an excuse, and I think Linus may be there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

LinusKS 04-02-2007 10:26 PM

Alex & Co.: Is this the anarcocapitalist equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting, "I can't heeear you,"?

LinusKS 04-02-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There comes a point where ignorance is no longer an excuse, and I think Linus may be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

For a second there, I thought you were just being childish.