Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chopsticks, fried rice, white people (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553829)

Low Key 11-25-2007 07:12 AM

Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

OT - Just a tip: Pay attention to what you say in asian restaurants. My friend was in there once and, not really paying attention, he mimicked how the waitress said 'fwied wice'. He's no racist, he's very socially conscious, and he would never do anything like that on purpose (he still gets embarassed when I bring it up), but yeah, things can happen if you're not paying attention.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 07:27 AM

Rice dishes served on a plate are eaten with a fork and spoon. Rice served in a bowl is eaten with chop sticks.

I am a chop stick expert and could use both hands to eat fried rice if I were so inclined.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived in Japan, where I ate everything with either my fingers or chopsticks (even Ramen).

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you ate Ramen with your hands? If you meant with Chop Sticks, that seems like a really bad example to emphasis your use of chop sticks since Ramen is one of the easiest meals to eat with chop sticks. Its like saying "I am an extensive world traveler, I have even been to NYC".

adsman 11-25-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its like saying "I am an extensive world traveler, I have even been to NYC".

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an extensive world traveller and I have never been to NYC.

garcia1000 11-25-2007 11:01 AM

Fork? Chopsticks?

What is wrong with you people!

All the Chinese people I know use spoons to eat fried rice.

Toro 11-25-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Noodles at Bellagio gets my vote

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm far from an expert on Chinese cuisine but I second this choice for a good place in LV.

Oski 11-25-2007 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
twice eaten birthday cake

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like something from the menu.

Is there cheese in China?

That Foreign Guy 11-25-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fork? Chopsticks?

What is wrong with you people!

All the Chinese people I know use spoons to eat fried rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all the Chinese restaurants at home (the good kind with dead piglets and ducks in the window, mostly Asian customers, and Chinglish menus) bring a spoon with fried rice. That or eat family style, bring your bowl to your mouth and shovel it in!

Damn, now I am all depressed as there's only dodgy english-style chinese takeaways here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

El Diablo 11-25-2007 03:00 PM

ads,

"I'm surprised that this hasn't got any attention. Personally I think it would be really, really interesting to do this and see their reaction."

It didn't get attention because it was a retarded question. What are you going to do, give some Chinese guy who orders a steak some chopsticks? Retarded. Giving Chinese people chopsticks in a Western restaurant in a Western country is not interesting, it's idiotic.

adsman 11-25-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you going to do, give some Chinese guy who orders a steak some chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough, while going through my stand-up routine in the shower this morning after reading this thread, this was exactly the situation that presented itself. I got a big laugh from the crowd as well.

Alobar 11-25-2007 04:40 PM

I handle the offered fork, the same way I handle the glass they bring with my bottle of beer. I set it off to the side.

XXXNoahXXX 11-25-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I handle the offered fork, the same way I handle the glass they bring with my bottle of beer. I set it off to the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar,

???

neuroman 11-25-2007 05:14 PM

Do people in Asia actually eat fried rice, or is that just a made up dish for honkies?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 05:21 PM

they eat it, but its less oily and has more flavor than the fried rice served in American Chinese places.

kimchi fried rice is the nuts.

Scorpion 11-25-2007 05:23 PM

You are in America. Eat with a freakin fork.

By-Tor 11-25-2007 06:54 PM

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3...24interze8.jpg

correct fried rice eating tools

Life 11-25-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving Chinese people chopsticks in a Western restaurant in a Western country is not interesting, it's idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about giving chinese people in a chinese restaurant forks.

Life 11-25-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, ive never seen this in america. is the glass really small too, like 3 shots worth? its standard in china tho, probly cuz the standard beer bottle in china is something like 2x teh size of a bottle here.

2/325Falcon 11-25-2007 10:28 PM

All,

I'm not impressed with your chopstick usage. Keepin' It Real requires the use of one of these or you're just another poser:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2...ntoiletdn6.jpg

Claunchy 11-25-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, ive never seen this in america. is the glass really small too, like 3 shots worth? its standard in china tho, probly cuz the standard beer bottle in china is something like 2x teh size of a bottle here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure he just means in general, at most restaurants/some bars, you get a glass when you order a bottled beer.

tyler_cracker 11-26-2007 01:19 AM

scorpion,

[ QUOTE ]
You are in America. Eat with a freakin fork.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a troll, or is this a level, or do you really believe this? if you do, i'm sad for you -- the range of human culture (including the different eating tools we've developed) is so fascinating. too bad you don't appreciate it.

some fraction and/or ordinal numberFalcon,

i have never used the toilet apparatus pictured, but i do know how to use it: drop, squat, and roll (approximately).

surprisingly large contingent of spoon-users,

wow, i had no idea. i can't recall ever being given a spoon at a chinese restaraunt that wasn't either a large serving spoon or a soup spoon presented with soup. actually i guess i've eaten dessert with a spoon (that mango custard stuff with condensed milk, e.g. mmmmmm.)

i again ask all of you: are you asking the waiter to bring you a spoon? are you using the serving spoon? failing a spoon, are you asking for a bowl to put the fried rice in?

el d,

i'm surprised you won't expend a little imagination on the scenario i've proposed. it's like a scene out of _better off dead_: exchange student comes down to breakfast, whitebread mom sets out chopsticks for exchange student, exchange student attempts to spear Cheerios like rings in a ring toss, hilarity ensues. this is but one of many examples; adsman posted another.

besides, doesn't it strike you as a little noteworthy that this give-white-guy-the-fork scenario is so common but complementary scenarios seem so unusual? i have been asked many times by waiters if this is my first time eating ethiopian food, but i've never been brought a fork nor have i been instructed in what to do with the injera[**].

[**] as a cosmopolitan bay area resident, i assume you are familiar with the ins and outs of ethiopian cuisine. on your side of the bay, i particularly enjoy Cafe Axum, though there is at least one restaraunt near the berkeley/oakland border that might be better. i am again open to recommendations if anyone has them -- especially for ethiopian places in vegas!

El Diablo 11-26-2007 03:26 AM

tc,

"i'm surprised you won't expend a little imagination on the scenario i've proposed."

As a slightly amusing Candid Camera type situation, sure, whatever. But in the context of doing something that parallels your fork experience, no, it's a ridiculous comparison.

"doesn't it strike you as a little noteworthy that this give-white-guy-the-fork scenario is so common but complementary scenarios seem so unusual?"

No, not at all.

"i assume you are familiar with the ins and outs of ethiopian cuisine."

Yeah, no wonder Ethiopians are starving w/ that crap for food.

edfurlong 11-26-2007 03:33 AM

My mom used to take me to Blue Nile in Berkeley when I was a kid. God it was so good.

garcia1000 11-26-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
besides, doesn't it strike you as a little noteworthy that this give-white-guy-the-fork scenario is so common but complementary scenarios seem so unusual?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks? Bread? Spaghetti? The best designed would be a spork and knife.

fuzzwonder 11-26-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at the person who invented chop sticks. seriously, two sticks, thats all you can think of? probably the worst idea ever. Even 2 round ovals would be better than sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]
they've only been around for thousands of years. what do asians know.

fyi, i get offered forks all the friggin time but use chopsticks out of spite.

JokersAttack 11-26-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do asians know.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban for racism

jogsxyz 11-26-2007 11:45 AM

Fried rice is a dish made for white Americans.
It should be served with a fork.

By-Tor 11-26-2007 11:47 AM

i eat just about everything with chopsticks since i've been married with the obvious exception of steak.

i love it and they are a hell of a lot easier to wash.

ofdabeat 11-26-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's not the staple food in south east asia at all...

JokersAttack 11-26-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's not the staple food in south east asia at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

aer you like 5th leveling or are you a moron?

PokrLikeItsProse 11-26-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the chef cuts up the steak into small, bite-sized pieces before serving it.

JokersAttack 11-26-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the chef cuts up the steak into small, bite-sized pieces before serving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how did he cut the meat into small bite-sized pieces?

Oh that's right, he used a knife and forkLOLahahhLOLmoomoo

neuroman 11-26-2007 12:02 PM

Ok, let's clear up some ignorance with a few sentences from the wiki article on fried rice:

"Fried Rice is a popular component of Chinese cuisine and other forms of Asian cuisine. It originated as a home made dish from Tao Feng, who was a very famous chef at the time in China, made from cold leftover rice fried with other leftover ingredients.[1] It is sometimes served as the penultimate dish in Chinese banquets (just before dessert).

"There are dozens of varieties of fried rice, each with their own specific list of ingredients. In Asia, the more famous varieties include Yangchow (Yangzhou) and Fukien (Fujian) fried rice. In the West, Chinese restaurants catering to non-Chinese clientele have invented their own varieties of fried rice including egg fried rice, Singaporean (spicy) fried rice and the ubiquitous 'special fried rice'.

"Fried rice is a common staple in American Chinese cuisine, especially in the westernized form sold at fast-food stands. The most common form is a basic fried rice, often with some mixture of eggs, scallions, and vegetables, with chopped meat (usually pork or chicken, sometimes beef or shrimp) added at the customer's discretion."

JokersAttack 11-26-2007 12:04 PM

FWI RIE?

splashpot 11-26-2007 01:29 PM

I am Chinese and have used chopsticks my whole life. 3 years ago, I studied abroad in Hong Kong. One day, I was eating lunch with my fellow exchange students, half of them Chinese, half of them white. All of the Chinese students used a fork, all of the white students used chopsticks. I thought it was pretty funny.

Oski 11-26-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am Chinese and have used chopsticks my whole life. 3 years ago, I studied abroad in Hong Kong. One day, I was eating lunch with my fellow exchange students, half of them Chinese, half of them white. All of the Chinese students used a fork, all of the white students used chopsticks. I thought it was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they order steak?

jogsxyz 11-26-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3...24interze8.jpg

correct fried rice eating tools

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the proper utensils for wonton soup.

tyler_cracker 11-26-2007 03:07 PM

el d,

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no wonder Ethiopians are starving w/ that crap for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

el edfurlong,

[ QUOTE ]

My mom used to take me to Blue Nile in Berkeley when I was a kid. God it was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had heard rumors that Blue Nile had closed. sadly, these rumors appear to be true:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/QFJCpzOOEjZRRKLJwvSV4g

double [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

el garcia,

[ QUOTE ]
This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks? Bread? Spaghetti? The best designed would be a spork and knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep using Steak as a counter-example to the utility of chopsticks, but steak is in fact so specialized that your garden variety fork-and-knife are inadequate for the task of eating it. this is why the (aptly-named) steak knife was invented.

you eat bread with any utensils at all? really? please explain. maybe one of your frog characters could demonstrate visually? perhaps you (garcia) have no mouth?

spaghetti ~= chow mein or udon noodles, so yes, chopsticks are fine for spaghetti.

splashpot,

good story.

oski,

lol.

los spoon eaters,

i'm pretty sure all of you are just bonkers.

los chopstick haters at large,

i will agree that if i had to pick one set of utensils to use for the rest of my meals on earth, i would pick the western complement of fork/knife/spoon (or spork, i guess, if you put a gun to my head). but isn't there fundamental truth to the old maxim, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"?

i learned to use chopsticks because i was tired of being That White Guy who goes to asian restaraunts and can't eat like i'm supposed to. i had nightmares and cold sweats about visiting Japan and having to ask over and over, "fo-ku to nai-fu arimasen-ka?". i mean, i didn't fly 5000 miles to order macaroni & cheese.

for me, food is one of the foundations of culture, and using the traditional implements to eat that food is part of enjoying that cultural experience to the fullest.

By-Tor 11-26-2007 03:13 PM

also, fwiw, when we are at home, my wife will eat her steak (uncut) with chopsticks. she just stabs it down the middle with both sticks and eats it like a steak-on-a-stick

traz 11-26-2007 03:13 PM

I'm (mostly) chinese and I can barely get by with chopsticks. When I'm with friends I'll use them so I don't look like a retard...but when I'm with family, I always ask for a fork...but then the waiter gives me a look like "you should be ashamed of yourself!"

It always makes me sad