Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Living off SNGs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525754)

Rusty Nails 10-18-2007 11:37 AM

Living off SNGs

I just read spacegravy's post and there is something that has bothered me for awhile now that hopefully someone can clear up. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to make a decent living off of sngs (excl. rakeback deals).

On the Cardplayer leaderboards there are only 30 players listed who have earned 20k in 2007 ( <$100, h/u and single table). The most anyone has made is 60k. Are these stats wrong? What am I missing?.

Insty 10-18-2007 11:48 AM

Re: Living off SNGs

[ QUOTE ]
What am I missing?.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible but not easy.

pdiggz 10-18-2007 11:52 AM

Those numbers sound right. It's hard to make a living playing poker. Did you think it was easy?

Think of a simple example. Say you play $55+$5 on FTP. Say you have an ROI of 8%. So, you make $4.80 per SNG. If you play 750 per month (9000 per year) you would make $43,200 for the year. If you play less and/or have a lower ROI than obviously profit goes down.

darinvg 10-18-2007 11:54 AM

"Some" people block their stats...

sonneti 10-18-2007 11:57 AM

I have around 20 screen names I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one either [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rusty Nails 10-18-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those numbers sound right. It's hard to make a living playing poker. Did you think it was easy?

Think of a simple example. Say you play $55+$5 on FTP. Say you have an ROI of 8%. So, you make $4.80 per SNG. If you play 750 per month (9000 per year) you would make $43,200 for the year. If you play less and/or have a lower ROI than obviously profit goes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's easy, but I don't think it's too hard to learn sngs and profit. The point is that there are about a dozen people on the leaderboard who are making the numbers you quote. And I think that a lot of the pros play more than 750/mth.

pdiggz 10-18-2007 12:13 PM

Right, but as others have mentioned, some play on several sites, and some block their stats. Also, you are only considering those playing under $100 STT. And we still have 2 1/2 months left in the year.

The truth is you have to play a lot of SNGs to even have a chance of making a decent living. It is a really difficult, taxing, grind. I don't play for a living and I couldn't imagine playing 35-40 SNGs day after day after day. It could be that many SNG pros switch it up and mix in cash games, too, thus playing fewer SNGs.

Rick Diesel 10-18-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

750 per month is pretty low for a lot of the full-time players that 12-20 table.

CheeseMoney 10-18-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The truth is you have to play a lot of SNGs to even have a chance of making a decent living. It is a really difficult, taxing, grind. I don't play for a living and I couldn't imagine playing 35-40 SNGs day after day after day.

[/ QUOTE ]

35-40 SNGs is less than 2 sets to many STTers.

JTS1974 10-18-2007 12:38 PM

One other consideration is that the Sharkscope leaderboard is not automatically configured, per se. I believe you either have to nominate yourself or be nominated to be included on the leaderboard lists. While I would have no way of quantifying the total, there are people who have earned more than $20K under one screen name and at one site at the stakes you mentioned but are not listed on the leaderboard FWIW.