Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   how is this a string raise??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549734)

SNOWBALL 11-19-2007 12:47 PM

how is this a string raise???

Someone limps to me from the SB in a 3 chip 6 chip structured 15/30 game. I am in the BB and I throw out one chip, and another and another to raise. Villain calls string.

IMO this should NOT be considered a string, because I was unambiguously raising. However, villain said that because I put the chips in one at a time and didn't announce raise, that my raise wasn't valid.

Your thoughts? I have never seen this come up before.

nineinchal 11-19-2007 12:50 PM

Re: how is this a string raise???

[ QUOTE ]
Someone limps to me from the SB in a 3 chip 6 chip structured 15/30 game. I am in the BB and I throw out one chip, and another and another to raise. Villain calls string.

IMO this should NOT be considered a string, because I was unambiguously raising. However, villain said that because I put the chips in one at a time and didn't announce raise, that my raise wasn't valid.

Your thoughts? I have never seen this come up before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you announce "Raise"?

canis582 11-19-2007 12:51 PM

What did the dealer say?

Seems like a raise to me. But you could have been clearer.

Rottersod 11-19-2007 01:07 PM

Since your first chip was less than half the size of a required raise it could be considered an illegal raise. I'm not much of a limit player though.

Twistofsin 11-19-2007 01:12 PM

If no one has raised in front of you I don't consider it possible to string from the BB.

crashjr 11-19-2007 01:16 PM

I've had a string raise called on me before when I put out 15 chips in a 4 chip 8 chip game, since I didn't have the amount sufficient to raise in my hand. My intention could not have been more clear, just like in OP's case.

Some rooms/floors are just plain dumb. This is a raise.

Mr Rick 11-19-2007 01:37 PM

Because your action can't mean anything else, it is a raise.

If the Dealer ruled it a string raise I would call the Floor.

If the Floor ruled it a string raise I would take it up with the Floor Supervisor later. IMO, its not important enough to stop the game more than it already has been stopped.

punkass 11-19-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because your action can't mean anything else, it is a raise.

If the Dealer ruled it a string raise I would call the Floor.

If the Floor ruled it a string raise I would take it up with the Floor Supervisor later. IMO, its not important enough to stop the game more than it already has been stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

But come on, either say raise, or don't throw chips one at a time.

budblown 11-19-2007 01:42 PM

don't be a douchebag and throw chips in one at a time

AngusThermopyle 11-19-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I throw out one chip,

and another

and another to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot Odds RAC 11-19-2007 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. One of the few things that is almost as annoying as Slow Rolling.

SNOWBALL 11-19-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh ok I almost never do this. It just happened. I can't see how I can string from the BB. Anyway, I didn't wanna take it up with the floor because the dealer was certain she was right, and also, I had A4o, so I wasn't losing that much value and I didn't wanna hold up the game. Clearly the guy was making a huge angle shot on me, which doesn't surprise me at all. He seems like a scumbag from the times I have played with him before.

I guess I'll ask the floor next time I go whether that was a proper call or not. The dealer seemed pretty insistent that I was in the wrong. I am just dumbfounded that someone would call string on the bb.

MicroBob 11-19-2007 02:27 PM

"Clearly the guy was making a huge angle shot on me"

I don't think it's that clear.
There are a lot of people who play poker regularly who would not think it through and believe this was a string-raise.
He may very well have legitimately thought this was a string. Obviously the dealer did.
Thus the reason you should just place your chips out in a normal fashion and/or just say "raise" in the first place instead of getting all one-chip-at-a-time cute.

Whether it should or should not be a string-raise really shouldn't even be the issue here. You should know that your actions COULD be misinterpreted by others in a situation like that and should choose to be as unambiguous as possible about your intentions.

MicroBob 11-19-2007 02:28 PM

Also - it occured to me that there IS a possible string-raise style angle-shoot by your actions.
Hypothetical: Lets say you stall after placing the one chip out there to gauge a reaction. He believes your one chip definitely committed you to raising already. He then says, "re-raise" because he's a weirdo who wanted to limp/re-raise from the SB.
You then decide this isn't such a hot idea in light of his re-raise and say, "Oh wait...I only put 1 chip out there. That doesn't commit me to the raise, does it? I forgot I was in the small blind. I was only trying to call. Sorry about that."

Stuff like this, of course, is why they invented the string-raise rule in the first place.

private joker 11-19-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

KenProspero 11-19-2007 02:55 PM

Do I have this right -- You're BB, unraised pot and it's your option.

You throw in a chip (not enough to make it a complete raise)

I think you've committed yourself to bet at this point. If you tried to pull your bet back, the dealer should say, "You've made a raise, please put in two more chips."

So, putting in two more chips is the only action permissible for you. No string raise.

I don't know why you didn't just throw in your entire raise to begin with. But that's another story.

KenProspero 11-19-2007 02:59 PM

MicroB

Do I have the rule wrong -- If BB has the option and puts in a chip, I think he's raised -- if he says, "I thought I was SB and wanted to call" Tough, he's made a raise.

BTW, I agree with everything else -- putting in the chips one at a time, wastestime in the game, and should be avoided, but I think that unless the one chip is 'all in', BB is committed to completing the bet at this point.

now here 11-19-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bernie 11-19-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the BB and I throw out one chip, and another and another to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes across that there's a definite pause between every chip you're throwing out. Yes, it's a stringer.

C'mon, you really don't know why?

Throwing your chips out one at a time is pretty much the equivalent of going back to your stack every time.

I've seen it come up a few times. In one game the guy was doing it to me as I sat there for awhile as he put out his 16 chips. Dealer was looking at me waiting for me to call a stringer if I wanted to. I ended up raising the guy.(not that I would call a stringer anyways)

Edit: I can see it being closer since you are in the BB, it's preflop action and it's not a reraise.

b

bernie 11-19-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind battle.

b

djcarter66 11-19-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you've committed yourself to bet at this point. If you tried to pull your bet back, the dealer should say, "You've made a raise, please put in two more chips."

So, putting in two more chips is the only action permissible for you. No string raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate. 11-19-2007 04:00 PM

Everyone getting on Snowball's case--

Come on. Maybe he was drinking something with one hand and had a handful of chips in the other and it was easier to toss them in. Maybe any number of other things. These physical tic-type things happen all the time and nobody thinks anything of them.

Joker--

NIT!!!!!!!!!!!

--Nate

MicroBob 11-19-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen the exact situation before where a guy forgot he was the big-blind and placed out chips to "call" and then apologized and was allowed to take his chips back.

I very much think that a guy throwing one chip out there to try to gauge a reaction could sometimes get away with being able to pull back his raise some of the time. Depends on who is enforcing the rules of course.

I agree it SHOULD mean he is committed to a raise.
But there is enough weird vagueness to the actions that not everyone would agree.

jeffnc 11-19-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost annoying as people making irrelevant posts that don't contribute anything to the original question.

You raised from the BB, end of story.

jeffnc 11-19-2007 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also - it occured to me that there IS a possible string-raise style angle-shoot by your actions.
Hypothetical: Lets say you stall after placing the one chip out there to gauge a reaction. He believes your one chip definitely committed you to raising already. He then says, "re-raise" because he's a weirdo who wanted to limp/re-raise from the SB.
You then decide this isn't such a hot idea in light of his re-raise and say, "Oh wait...I only put 1 chip out there. That doesn't commit me to the raise, does it? I forgot I was in the small blind. I was only trying to call. Sorry about that."

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't in the SB, he was in the BB. There was no possible interpretation for his action other than raise. In fact, if he put one chip out there and then tried to say he wasn't raising, he is still obligated to put out the raise. This isn't a gray area, it's cut and dried.

jeffnc 11-19-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This comes across that there's a definite pause between every chip you're throwing out. Yes, it's a stringer.

C'mon, you really don't know why?

Throwing your chips out one at a time is pretty much the equivalent of going back to your stack every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? It's a raise, period.

jeffnc 11-19-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I very much think that a guy throwing one chip out there to try to gauge a reaction could sometimes get away with being able to pull back his raise some of the time. Depends on who is enforcing the rules of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess it's OK to rob banks if you can get away with it sometimes.

Um, what does this have to do with what the rule is?

fartman77 11-19-2007 04:33 PM

obv not a string raise, being in the bb.
ppl will do what it takes to see a cheap flop, but i dont blame em.
just try not to do it again ever b/c it is indeed douchey to throw in chips one at a time, drunk or not

private joker 11-19-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind battle.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure? I assumed Snowball chops in live games with monster rakes like this.

TacitMike 11-19-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind battle.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure? I assumed Snowball chops in live games with monster rakes like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue it's a bit less common to chop with someone who you consider to be a "scumbag."

Pot Odds RAC 11-19-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost annoying as people making irrelevant posts that don't contribute anything to the original question.

You raised from the BB, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]
My Hypocrisy Meter just overloaded.

killsadie 11-19-2007 05:23 PM

do it with me everyone...

"raise"

that wasnt so hard.

mrkilla 11-19-2007 05:30 PM

how do you not see it as a string , I mean I see your side but how are you pretty sure its not.

getting called for a string bet in limit is pretty ghey btw

kailua 11-19-2007 05:59 PM

Dealer erred but provided a service to the table. She sides with you and half the clueless schmucks at the table will attempt to plink in raises one chip at a time outside the bb, then spend ten minutes arguing they made the same move as you.

youtalkfunny 11-19-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the BB and I throw out one chip, and another and another to raise.
I have never seen this come up before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither have I. And I hope I never do.

One Outer 11-19-2007 06:48 PM

Most of what has been said about your action has been said, but I had a similar situation the other day in the SB. I didn't say raise, and I had all the chips in my hand but I was flicking them out of my fist one at a time. Like a Pez dispenser. The dealer was a total bitch about it. Meh, is that a string? She said it was "stringy", which sounded to me like code for "I don't like it but I don't have a good reason not to because what you did is within the rules".

todd1007 11-19-2007 07:03 PM

its a string raise. end of story

RR 11-19-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its a string raise. end of story

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken. For a string raise to occur the player has to call first. His choices in the BB are to check or raise; which does putting a chip in the pot look the most like?

Chipr777 11-19-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For a string raise to occur the player has to call first.

[/ QUOTE ] A voice of reason among the chaos.

MicroBob 11-19-2007 09:48 PM

so neither of you guys would have a problem if I raised my BB like this every time?