Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   how is this a string raise??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549734)

Pot Odds RAC 11-19-2007 01:45 PM

Re: how is this a string raise???

[ QUOTE ]
don't be a douchebag and throw chips in one at a time

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. One of the few things that is almost as annoying as Slow Rolling.

SNOWBALL 11-19-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. One of the few things that is almost as annoying as Slow Rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh ok I almost never do this. It just happened. I can't see how I can string from the BB. Anyway, I didn't wanna take it up with the floor because the dealer was certain she was right, and also, I had A4o, so I wasn't losing that much value and I didn't wanna hold up the game. Clearly the guy was making a huge angle shot on me, which doesn't surprise me at all. He seems like a scumbag from the times I have played with him before.

I guess I'll ask the floor next time I go whether that was a proper call or not. The dealer seemed pretty insistent that I was in the wrong. I am just dumbfounded that someone would call string on the bb.

MicroBob 11-19-2007 02:27 PM

"Clearly the guy was making a huge angle shot on me"

I don't think it's that clear.
There are a lot of people who play poker regularly who would not think it through and believe this was a string-raise.
He may very well have legitimately thought this was a string. Obviously the dealer did.
Thus the reason you should just place your chips out in a normal fashion and/or just say "raise" in the first place instead of getting all one-chip-at-a-time cute.

Whether it should or should not be a string-raise really shouldn't even be the issue here. You should know that your actions COULD be misinterpreted by others in a situation like that and should choose to be as unambiguous as possible about your intentions.

MicroBob 11-19-2007 02:28 PM

Also - it occured to me that there IS a possible string-raise style angle-shoot by your actions.
Hypothetical: Lets say you stall after placing the one chip out there to gauge a reaction. He believes your one chip definitely committed you to raising already. He then says, "re-raise" because he's a weirdo who wanted to limp/re-raise from the SB.
You then decide this isn't such a hot idea in light of his re-raise and say, "Oh wait...I only put 1 chip out there. That doesn't commit me to the raise, does it? I forgot I was in the small blind. I was only trying to call. Sorry about that."

Stuff like this, of course, is why they invented the string-raise rule in the first place.

private joker 11-19-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

KenProspero 11-19-2007 02:55 PM

Do I have this right -- You're BB, unraised pot and it's your option.

You throw in a chip (not enough to make it a complete raise)

I think you've committed yourself to bet at this point. If you tried to pull your bet back, the dealer should say, "You've made a raise, please put in two more chips."

So, putting in two more chips is the only action permissible for you. No string raise.

I don't know why you didn't just throw in your entire raise to begin with. But that's another story.

KenProspero 11-19-2007 02:59 PM

MicroB

Do I have the rule wrong -- If BB has the option and puts in a chip, I think he's raised -- if he says, "I thought I was SB and wanted to call" Tough, he's made a raise.

BTW, I agree with everything else -- putting in the chips one at a time, wastestime in the game, and should be avoided, but I think that unless the one chip is 'all in', BB is committed to completing the bet at this point.

now here 11-19-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bernie 11-19-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the BB and I throw out one chip, and another and another to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes across that there's a definite pause between every chip you're throwing out. Yes, it's a stringer.

C'mon, you really don't know why?

Throwing your chips out one at a time is pretty much the equivalent of going back to your stack every time.

I've seen it come up a few times. In one game the guy was doing it to me as I sat there for awhile as he put out his 16 chips. Dealer was looking at me waiting for me to call a stringer if I wanted to. I ended up raising the guy.(not that I would call a stringer anyways)

Edit: I can see it being closer since you are in the BB, it's preflop action and it's not a reraise.

b

bernie 11-19-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had A4o

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind battle.

b