Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gambling Adiction ... errr (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=263026)

dardo 11-18-2006 04:48 AM

Gambling Adiction ... errr

Since I started playing poker trying to make some money from it most of the people I've spoke about this was interested or were worried of me becoming an "addict".

I just find interesting how much people fear this gambling side effect. It's like the see this like a contagious disease.

What do you think of this? I've always seen poker as any other bussines, you invest time and resources on it because you expect a profit. If you have success you continue with it, if not, you start with another project.

dardo.

iFoldTheNuts 11-18-2006 05:29 AM

Re: Gambling Adiction ... errr

because so many people aren't as level headed as you when it comes to playing poker. They get lucky and think they are awesome and when they lose their money, they redeposit thinking they're awesome skills will win them more. And they might be hot again but eventually lose it. and the cycle repeats. Regulars make their money off of these people. Just look at HIV's busto thread and you'll understand.

chicagoY 11-18-2006 08:43 AM

I don't say anything about it to strangers. They don't understand and if they lecture me enough, and aren't hot chicks, I'll lose it with them.

Goodnews 11-19-2006 07:10 AM

i turned into an addict

canada_dry 11-19-2006 09:45 AM

Maybe you are showing signs of an addict.

dboy23 11-19-2006 10:52 AM

just say, yeah i am addicted....wanna flip a coin for your years pay?

holyfield5 11-19-2006 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you are properly bankrolled for that

MoreGentilythanU 11-19-2006 02:38 PM

i'm an addict, ruined my life, now i have to work for my life back... but I have alot more money than i did before.

Pog0 11-19-2006 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you are properly bankrolled for that

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is properly bankrolled for that. Do you see why?

Jibba 11-20-2006 04:38 PM

It is a serious problem. When I was a kid my parents put me in Gamblers Anonymous for betting sports. I was stupid then and just throwing all my money around without a care. These days I keep myself level (hopefully) by simply never using my own money. I made a couple small investments awhile back and have been building on them ever since with the knowledge that if I lose it, I really would have to give up something I truly enjoy. When I feel myself tilting too much and chasing my losses, I make a conscious effort to slow down.

I know how you feel since my wife occasionally brings up a friend of hers who's husband secretly lost a couple grand playing poker online (he's actually very good live, but didn't adjust for online where people call too much). If it's not someone you care about, tell them it's none of their business in a polite way. If it is a loved one, then you have to deal with it head on. Make them comfortable with the fact that you're not going to gamble your life away.