Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much would you spend.. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550387)

spino1i 11-20-2007 02:48 AM

How much would you spend..

How much would you be willing to spend to up your facial attractiveness by like 3 points.. (on 1 to 10 scale)? I know for myself the answer comes out to at least $30k. Is attractiveness really worth that much? OOT what do you think?

jono 11-20-2007 02:52 AM

Re: How much would you spend..

I assume you're doing this for women. Truth is your results will only be slightly better. Looks are pretty low on their priority list - assuming the less attractive version of you is still properly groomed and dressed.

spino1i 11-20-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're doing this for women. Truth is your results will only be slightly better. Looks are pretty low on their priority list - assuming the less attractive version of you is still properly groomed and dressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree, i think looks matter more than you think. but maybe im wrong we'll see...

z28dreams 11-20-2007 02:56 AM

A sick amount of money.

Conspire 11-20-2007 02:58 AM

Nothing, I would spend it on hookers and drugs.

Conspire

ThaSaltCracka 11-20-2007 02:58 AM

I'd rather spend the money on a personal trainer and cook.

traz 11-20-2007 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather spend the money on poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay Riall 11-20-2007 03:05 AM

atm I'm hotter than Dan Bright according to BBV4L so I'm not even sure its possible for me to get 3 points hotter.

z28dreams 11-20-2007 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
atm I'm hotter than Dan Bright according to BBV4L so I'm not even sure its possible for me to get 3 points hotter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you're still lagging behind mbillie. Maybe you should take those 3 points to catch up to his sexiness.

Henry17 11-20-2007 09:12 AM

Given the current state of plastic surgery I don't believe it is realistic to improve by 3 points but if this was just in theory or via magical improvement then I'd pay whatever it cost. Even if I had to go into debt.

[ QUOTE ]
Is attractiveness really worth that much? OOT what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

People spend a lot on physical attractiveness. Without any surgery or invasive procedures I figure I'm in for at least $15k/year + the opportunity cost of 400-500/hrs.

WhoIam 11-20-2007 09:16 AM

You can do this just by moving to Asia.

Anzat 11-20-2007 12:31 PM

People answering more than $5k, why on earth don't you just get surgery? There are several relatively common procedures that can improve your looks dramatically and are not very dangerous as far as I know.

Henry17 11-20-2007 01:12 PM

In my case I'm not trying to improve looks so much as prevent a decline. The bulk of my spending is on skin care products and workout supplements.

When I get older I'll have no issues with surgery. I just don't need it yet. The only surgery I need now is leg extension surgery to move me from 5'11" to 6'1" but it seems too painful, recovery time is too long and the whole procedure seems somewhat sketchy.

Yeti 11-20-2007 01:16 PM

haha, 3 points is hugeeeee, i would spend a fortune. and no the plastic surgery comparison doesn't fly, because plastic surgery normally looks plain weird and never really approaches +3 points.

spino1i 11-20-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, 3 points is hugeeeee, i would spend a fortune. and no the plastic surgery comparison doesn't fly, because plastic surgery normally looks plain weird and never really approaches +3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

For certain people I think +3 is quite obtainable via plastic surgery assuming you use one of the best plastic surgeons in the world (hence the insanely high price) and you do a [censored]-ton of research. And I do mean a [censored]-ton. You better know how facial proportions and structure works like the back of your hand!

I mean ive seen +4 or +5 before, but its usual the person got lucky and the surgery just happened to be great for them and its not really realistic.

Yeti 11-20-2007 01:31 PM

meh, i have no doubt a 3 could become a 6. but a 6 can become a 9? in my experience they always tend to look like mutton dressed as lamb.

CalledDownLight 11-20-2007 01:35 PM

tell me how to become a 13 and I'm there

Yobz 11-20-2007 01:35 PM

That would make me a 13...I would pay a lot for that.

traz 11-20-2007 01:39 PM

Getting surgery isn't such a simple solution...if I came out looking significantly different, it would be sooooo weird for my friends/family. I'd have to move away and start a new life basically

Jay Riall 11-20-2007 01:41 PM

Game >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> Looks imo

NT! 11-20-2007 01:46 PM

now that i am more or less off the market and in a career path where my good looks won't help me move up that much anyway, i would consider selling some of my good looks to someone dumb enough to pay 10k / point.

lol at dudes who get plastic surgery.

LWor 11-20-2007 01:46 PM

Grooming accessories: 50$
Good looking clothes: 1000$
Reading PUA stuff: [censored] free
Nailing 9s when you're 5'6 and fugly: priceless

You guys need to get a clue. Looking like a model won't even let you have sex with any girl you want. From reading his posts, I thought Henry would know better. Guess I was wrong. Either that or his stories are bs.

EDIT: Add "working out" to the list. That doesn't cost much either.

DonkeyKongSr 11-20-2007 01:47 PM

Yeah, but what if you have tons of game and are a 3 or 4? By bumping up 3 notches, you could get a lot more girls.

NT! 11-20-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From reading his posts, I thought Henry would know better. Guess I was wrong. Either that or his stories are bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

any guy who would pay for leg extensions if it wasn't so expensive is [censored] whack in my book. i won't even include the fact that i've seen him post some utter nonsensical dreck in the psychology forum.

NT! 11-20-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but what if you have tons of game and are a 3 or 4? By bumping up 3 notches, you could get a lot more girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but even though your marginal utility of those three notches would be greater than an average dude, in order to be a three or four you either have to be fat/lazy/dirty etc, or you have to be some kind of genetic freak.

if it's the former you can improve yourself to a 5 or 6 essentially for free, if it's the latter you should suck it up and admit you probably shouldn't reproduce. or just nail a chick as ugly as you.

it takes a lot for a dude to be a 3, when you consider how much grooming / fitness / style matter to women. i can't think of any guy i've ever met who is well-groomed, in shape and not dressed hilariously bad, and yet still less than a 5.

Henry17 11-20-2007 01:52 PM

It isn't about having sex. If the goal is to get laid then the money would be better spent on stuff that would attract girls or simply getting call girls.

I see being good looking as a desired quality on it's own.

Henry17 11-20-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any guy who would pay for leg extensions if it wasn't so expensive is [censored] whack in my book. i won't even include the fact that i've seen him post some utter nonsensical dreck in the psychology forum

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't because of the cost. It is because of the painful recovery time. I'd happily pay the money if I'd just grow two inches with minimal pain.

Other then the leg extensions everything else I'm interest in is to fight off getting older.

With respect to psych. I believe psych is complete BS so yes anyone who believes in pseudo-science will think my posts are whack.

prohornblower 11-20-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know for myself the answer comes out to at least $30k. Is attractiveness really worth that much? OOT what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth way more than that. You'll recoup this in lifetime earnings in no time. $30K is not much. And going from a 7 to a 10 is ridiculously beneficial.

Personally, I probably wouldn't spend any on improvements. I'm probably in the 7-8 range. But I could definitely see why someone would shell out $10K for a point.

TomVeil 11-20-2007 02:47 PM

I'd spend probably $20K for all 3 points. Being attractive changes the way that every single new person that you deal with interacts with you. Think about it, what are the reasons that you respond the way that you do when meeting new people?

1) Sex
2) Attractiveness
3) Everything else

And the vast majority of your interactions never get past #2. Being +3 attractive would pay for itself VERY quickly, because people's attitudes twords you would change. It's not about getting laid or anything, although that's a good side effect. Surely some smart poker players would be able to figure out ways to take advantage their new attractiveness.

AND all that is from a pure outsider's view as well. If you know you're more attractive, your confidence level rises and that ALSO increases your attractiveness, but on a different level.

DonkeyKongSr 11-20-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but even though your marginal utility of those three notches would be greater than an average dude, in order to be a three or four you either have to be fat/lazy/dirty etc, or you have to be some kind of genetic freak.

if it's the former you can improve yourself to a 5 or 6 essentially for free, if it's the latter you should suck it up and admit you probably shouldn't reproduce. or just nail a chick as ugly as you.

it takes a lot for a dude to be a 3, when you consider how much grooming / fitness / style matter to women. i can't think of any guy i've ever met who is well-groomed, in shape and not dressed hilariously bad, and yet still less than a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. You have to be pretty ugly to be less than average looking with a good body, hygeine, and style. I guess things like baldness could be trouble if you can't pull off a shaved head look well.

samsonite2100 11-20-2007 03:06 PM

Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity. I'm not just talking about picking up chicks, although there is that. I'm talking about getting jobs, promotions, and overall earning power. I'm talking about the advantages that come with people basically liking you right off the bat.

But Yeti's right--this is a total hypothetical. Plastic surgery looks terrible, usually.

spino1i 11-20-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity. I'm not just talking about picking up chicks, although there is that. I'm talking about getting jobs, promotions, and overall earning power. I'm talking about the advantages that come with people basically liking you right off the bat.

But Yeti's right--this is a total hypothetical. Plastic surgery looks terrible, usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you guys are thinking of like old ladies that have like silicone breast implants and botox or something. I think if you did more looking around youd be suprised how much more attractive it can make you if you know what your doing and find the right surgeon and use the right procedures..

LWor 11-20-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I say anyone who would pay for that is underestimating what good hygiene/working out/wearing good looking clothes/smiling/acting confident will do for them.

Or maybe I'm much better looking than I thought but I doubt it.

(Note that this is only true for men)

TomVeil 11-20-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I say anyone who would pay for that is underestimating what good hygiene/working out/wearing good looking clothes/smiling/acting confident will do for them.

Or maybe I'm much better looking than I thought but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

*laugh* Maybe you are!

Seriously, though, those things are VERY IMPORTANT. But imagine that you do all those things, and improve yourself 3 points from 4 to 7. Look how much your life improves! Now take what you've learned, and go from a 7 to a 10. The thing is, since there's fewer and fewer people at the top, the gain that you get is exponentional the higher you move up.

As one of the posters just above mentioned, it's not about the girls (or guys). It's about buisness opportunities, promotions, etc.

bwana devil 11-20-2007 03:33 PM

no one has addressed how better looks will impact one's earning potential. i thought it was well known that better looking people earn more than non-attractive people. more job offers and more raises.

so money invested in this twilight zone idea, people would see a return on investment.

LWor 11-20-2007 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one has addressed how better looks will impact one's earning potential. i thought it was well known that better looking people earn more than non-attractive people. more job offers and more raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that correlation does not equal causation.

1) Good looking people know they look good and act with confidence and have better self-esteem. They also usually have sex on a regular basis which makes them happier overall (smiling?).

2) Wealthy people have more time to take care of their look and enough money to buy stylish clothes.

These 2 points explain the correlation.

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:47 PM

INFINITY DOLLARS!!!!!

prohornblower 11-20-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By "no one addressed" I'm guessing you mean "both Prohornblower, and then Samsonite made the point"

Did you even read the thread? Or just assume you were the only one aware that pretty people make more $$$?

tuq 11-20-2007 04:43 PM

Here are three people who don't need to spend a dime.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...cture20235.jpg

bwana devil 11-20-2007 05:06 PM

*grunch*

hey guys, think about all the women you could pick up!?!?

pro, i read down until henry's posts and then faded. i like to make bold statements with limited information.