Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pair and a four flush against four card straight. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429002)

dsaxton 06-16-2007 10:36 PM

Pair and a four flush against four card straight.

Opponent is an aggressive, winning player. Is it correct to check or bet on 6th street?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (5.20 SB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.60 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.60 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___?

chillrob 06-17-2007 12:44 AM

Re: Pair and a four flush against four card straight.

I think you have to continue betting here. Not sure why you would even consider villian's hand a "four straight"; it is extremely unlikely that he has a 6 for the straight, and not really that likely that he has a ten for an OESD.
He probably started out with a pair of nines, or possibly a flush draw. If you are behind, it is most likely to two pair, and you would certainly call in that case anyway so better to bet.

Btw, was this really being played just four-handed, or are players who never called a bet not shown?

Rob

dsaxton 06-17-2007 03:08 AM

I was hoping there'd be more responses than this. First, he doesn't need a straight to have me beat. Second, he will bet with most or all of the hands that call a bet when I check to him.

Andy B 06-17-2007 01:11 PM

This is four-handed. The converter shows all hands.

Andy B 06-17-2007 01:15 PM

You were expecting a big response late on a Saturday night? Many people leave the house on a Saturday night.

Anyway, I think this is a clear bet. Your opponent may well fold a pair of Nines, realizing that even if he makes a straight, it may not be good. And you do want him to fold, right?

electrical 06-17-2007 07:29 PM

Bet. You have an overpair to his probable pair of Nines, he has not raised you at any opportunity, and he would be unlikely to have raised Third with a gapper, three-straight or three-flush unless his holecards are (T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) or (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) If he has (69), then c'est la vie.

If he has two pair, you are still in good enough shape to bet and call a raise.

[edit]: I now see that you are concerned about the relative merits of a bet and a check-raise or check-call. A straight draw being a probable inside-draw makes it unlikely villain will bet it, and a small two-pair isn't that likely to raise, so I think you get more money in as a favorite if you bet and lose no more if you're behind.

chillrob 06-17-2007 10:38 PM

I didn't think about the possibility of check-raising - the OP seemed to be more worried about getting raised than trying to get more money in. If you think he would bet even if only on a pair of 9s though, a c/r might not be bad. I don't do much check-raising in stud, but I am no expert so would like to hear others' opinions myself.

Rob

Andy B 06-18-2007 12:33 AM

I still say bet, but how likely do you think it is that he will fold to a check-raise?

jester710 06-18-2007 04:25 AM

As far as bet vs. check raise or check call, remember you'll be first to act on 7th. I think you're ahead here, so I'd say bet it rather than risk him checking behind. If he bets and you c/r him, what do you do if you don't improve on 7th?

If he does have the straight or gets frisky with two pair and raises you on 6th, you still might improve to beat him on 7th, and then c/r him if you like.