Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540823)

StevieG 11-09-2007 08:10 PM

Re: Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

[ QUOTE ]
MEMO to Jimmy Rollins: The best team won. [snip resit of article]

Even though the Mets choked like Mama Cass on a ham sandwich, this quote still puts me on mega-triple life tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would that bother you if you're a Phillies fan?

I read that and get the same sense of glee that I get from finding $20 in a jacket I haven't worn in a while.

rwperu34 11-10-2007 10:11 PM

Here's a telling quote from the ESPN article;

[ QUOTE ]
"J.C. had an outstanding three months for us this year, particularly down the stretch," Amaro said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently three good months is worth a 3yr/$12MM deal. It's probably only a slight overpay in terms of dollars, but way too much in terms of years.

Troll_Inc 11-10-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a telling quote from the ESPN article;

[ QUOTE ]
"J.C. had an outstanding three months for us this year, particularly down the stretch," Amaro said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently three good months is worth a 3yr/$12MM deal. It's probably only a slight overpay in terms of dollars, but way too much in terms of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could remove a few players with which the Phillies don't make the playoffs.

Romero was one of them. He was there every time they called him in, which with their starting pitching was often.

Spellmen 11-10-2007 10:24 PM

I think the deal is fine. The money isn't huge, and realistically I don't see him signing a deal for less than 3 years. If he sucks the last year at least it's 4 instead of the 8 Eaton gets or whatever the hell they paid Garcia for that abomination

Bremen 11-10-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the deal is fine. The money isn't huge, and realistically I don't see him signing a deal for less than 3 years. If he sucks the last year at least it's 4 instead of the 8 Eaton gets or whatever the hell they paid Garcia for that abomination

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the real worry is that he sucks all three years. I orginally thought he was alot younger than he is. In fact he's been around since 1999 and has never been stellar (except 2002 and this year). Given his age there is no reason to believe he will continue to be a top reliever and every reason to believe he will probably start to decline; it won't be pretty.

hoyasnaxa 11-11-2007 02:54 AM

Yea, I have a bad feeling about him being around. I would rather have Aaron Fultz.

Bremen 11-11-2007 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I have a bad feeling about him being around. I would rather have Aaron Fultz.

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, I'll take Romero just because he's 3 years younger and he has more upside. Other than that they shoulda spent their money on someone like Cordero or Hiruki (ok I admit the major reason I want Hiroki is that lots of hot asian chicks showed up to watch Iguchi and I want them to come back).

Anyway, Gillick stated that he had about 12mil left to spend this offseason. I'm not sure if this factored in Romero or not; and assuming he was being 100% truthful with that number, what would you all spend it on?

None of the 3rd basemen available seem very reasonable to me (ie they're all probably going to decline a bit) Most reasonable to me might be to take on salary for the O's with a one year rental of Melvin Mora. In the OF I suggested going for Torii Hunter, but that would take closer to the 20mil I postulated they had available. Maybe another reliever, Gagne or Cordero???

Zach Belden 11-12-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, Gillick stated that he had about 12mil left to spend this offseason. I'm not sure if this factored in Romero or not; and assuming he was being 100% truthful with that number, what would you all spend it on?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can that be, we only have to spend an extra 9 mil in salaries this year right? We should have much more than 12 it sounds like to me... if they are trying to get the 100 mil mark that is.

Bremen 11-12-2007 02:47 PM

Either the earlier reports that payroll would hit the 100mil mark were incorrect or he is lowballing for some reason. He might be lowering expectations in case he doesn't get a big deal done (or make himself look better when he does), or maybe he's underrepresenting how much cash he has available as a bargaining ploy with FAs.

Bdidd 11-13-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MEMO to Jimmy Rollins: The best team won. [snip resit of article]

Even though the Mets choked like Mama Cass on a ham sandwich, this quote still puts me on mega-triple life tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would that bother you if you're a Phillies fan?

I read that and get the same sense of glee that I get from finding $20 in a jacket I haven't worn in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tilts me because I'd like the opportunity to smack the [censored] out of the author now and rub it in his face a little bit.