Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Mathematics of poker by Bill Chen & some dude... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=538469)

fabrice dhamma 11-23-2007 04:15 AM

Re: The Mathematics of poker by Bill Chen & some dude...

This is the most interesting book I had on the subject

WiltOnTilt 11-23-2007 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"if you want to reach a wide audience"

I never got the impression they wanted to reach a wide audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

poor assumption on my part. i thought they wanted to sell books.

clowntable 11-23-2007 03:13 PM

I consider it to be the best poker book I own (I got 30ish, mainly NL)

Jzo19 11-23-2007 03:29 PM

great book ,ive probably learned more about poker in this book than most other books on holdem but i still got many many reads b4 i grasp most of the concepts ..

johnnyrocket 11-24-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started reading this book. I consider myself above average at "poker math" -- specifically EV calc type stuff. I graduated with a comp sci degree so i'm not too foreign to formal math...

I think it's hilarious how many greek symbols and equations they have in first section marked "Basics". I'm understanding the book so far, although I had to re-read a few pages when i got momentarily lost, but I can't imagine how joe-average poker player could possibly understand the concepts starting off in the "Basics" section.

They should have done a better job dumbing it down and/or removing many of the equations/greek symbols/math lingo until at least later in the book. I know being math guys they feel the need to build the "foundation" of ideas so they can build on it later, but if you want to reach a wide audience it's simply not a good strategy to keep people interested. I have one friend who tried to read this book and threw it out 2 chapters in because of all the graphs/equations/and "foreign letters" that people w/o a math background don't understand.

That said I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book for myself so I can translate it to others.

WoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i am in engineering and u said the book is mostly statistics, i cant really think how u expect to not have any of this notation, this is used in almost any statistical calculation

johnnyrocket 11-24-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

exp(2*(300^2)*(1.13333^2/1.5^4)) = 15.929

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again senor Jerrod.
I understand phi now thanks. And to give a little something back to 2+2 community to calculate the phi of a value in Excel use NORMSDIST function.

I'm still baffled though in at least one spot. I worked out that exp(2.768141347) = 15.929, but the figure in brackets here appears to be equal to 45668.86716, the exp(45668.867169) is massive of course. Am I reading the equation wrong or missing out on a bracket somewhere? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

he may have taken the natural log and u worded this a little weird? i dont have a calc in front of me but natural log is the inverse of exp so it would be much smaller, i'll try it on a calc later if i find mine