Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Cash game pro, curious about MTT pro long-term trends (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524509)

DJ Sensei 10-16-2007 07:04 PM

Cash game pro, curious about MTT pro long-term trends

One of the reasons I play cash games instead of tournaments (well, aside from being much better at that style of game) is that the variance is a little lower, and the winning is more consistent. I prefer having many modest winning days over many small losing days and some huge wins. But thats just my style.

So, i'm curious, for those of you who are online MTT pros and play lots of them all the time, what kind of daily/weekly/monthly variance is standard? What % of days are losing (but obviously never losing too big), and what % of days do you book a small win or breakeven due to some modest cashes. I assume the big wins are what you live for, so how often do they tend to come?

Do you play cash games to mitigate the variance a little, or do you stick to MTTs exclusively?

Clayton 10-16-2007 07:06 PM

Re: Cash game pro, curious about MTT pro long-term trends

Dan, if you have thepokerdb I would look at trends with some really successful mega-high volume players such as SCTrojans and apestyles. this should give you an idea as to the variance they experience over given weeks/months.

Many end up making a couple hundred k over the year, and a few elites make like 500k. this was the general consensus on p5's, where its all about big tournament play.

But when playing the big 1k's and the 100r+ consistently, swings of 5 figs arent uncommon at all, and stretches of weeks without any winnings can be standard.

The best way to combat this is put in retarded volume

nath 10-16-2007 07:37 PM

run

run like the wind

mrTEA 10-16-2007 08:49 PM

tourney grinding sounds like the worst beat ever

McShove 10-16-2007 09:02 PM

DJ,

I think I'm one of the few who could be considered truly 50/50 in regards to tourney/cash game pro. I basically play whichever I feel like on a given day, and it makes playing poker much more enjoyable.

tozzy 10-17-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan, if you have thepokerdb I would look at trends with some really successful mega-high volume players such as SCTrojans and apestyles. this should give you an idea as to the variance they experience over given weeks/months.

Many end up making a couple hundred k over the year, and a few elites make like 500k. this was the general consensus on p5's, where its all about big tournament play.

But when playing the big 1k's and the 100r+ consistently, swings of 5 figs arent uncommon at all, and stretches of weeks without any winnings can be standard.

The best way to combat this is put in retarded volume

[/ QUOTE ]
considering the BR you gotta have to play those mentioned donkaments, id say a solid cashgame-winner enjoys a higher a ROI with less variance. 100k$, nl2k, 700k hands a year @ like 2 PTBB --> 560k. assuming you never move up and play extremely little for a pro.

tufat23 10-17-2007 05:30 AM

one thing i've noticed from my recent forray into mtts dan, u dont have to think so hard. HU and 6-max cash games are a head trip. mtts u just need to get high and start clicking away

AcTiOnJaCsOn 10-17-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one thing i've noticed from my recent forray into mtts dan, u dont have to think so hard. HU and 6-max cash games are a head trip. mtts u just need to get high and start clicking away

[/ QUOTE ] so true

mikeymer 10-17-2007 12:50 PM

be ready for swings of 30k in the 109r, and higher in the 1k's... that is unless u run good.

creeps 10-17-2007 01:15 PM

If your a successful cash game player why not try to steadily introduce some MTTs to your playing schedule? It can pad some of your losses while you get a feel for what levels you feel comfortable with and number of tournaments at a time. I'm sure you keep some type of a database for cash games...I suggest you do the same for MTTs.