Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   do you talk to your therapist about poker? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401002)

Rootabager 05-12-2007 03:50 PM

Re: do you talk to your therapist about poker?

Therapy is just a racket for the jews...

jk haha sopranos

Lurker. 05-12-2007 04:16 PM

i'll think about the telling the truth stuff. i feel that she'll be really judgemental specifically about poker and marijuana (i smoke occasionally, once a week approx).

claudenm 05-12-2007 05:16 PM

I've seen a therapist on and off for four years. Latest one I've been seeing for ~ 1 year now, and he has helped me a decent amount. I can only afford it, btw, because California has a mental health parity law, so my insurance picks up the tab less the $15 copay. I'm also thinking about joining a therapy group, that should be interesting.

Claude

SamIAm 05-12-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll think about the telling the truth stuff. i feel that she'll be really judgemental specifically about poker and marijuana (i smoke occasionally, once a week approx).

[/ QUOTE ]
Then jesus, switch therapists. What's the point of paying to talk to somebody if they're going to make you lie? You could phrase it as "it's not conducive to therapeutic discussion", but more straighforward: you're not getting you money's worth.

I suggest you try a few therapists; go in for a first visit, talk to them about what's going on, and if you feel a connection, go back. There's nothing wrong with shopping around on this one.
-Sam

king_of_drafts 05-12-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therapy is just a racket for the jews...

jk haha sopranos

[/ QUOTE ]

Sopranos therapy quotes > all

TheGrifter 05-12-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to sex and love addicts anonymous meetings around the same time, what a freakshow that was.

[/ QUOTE ]Great place to pick up chicks.

adsman 05-13-2007 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh for the love of God. Dude, you don't need a therapist. You just need to grow some balls. Take a decision that from now on you're not ashamed of your own life. You are who you are. Learn to be proud of yourself. Affirmative-fecking-action.

fslexcduck 05-13-2007 02:48 AM

on this subject, i just started seeing someone and there are definitely things i don't tell my therapist about (for me it isn't poker, that's the easy stuff). this is weird, right? or i guess normal... but the stuff i most need to talk about it is sooooo hard to verbalize, because then it's like you accept that they are issues.

bkholdem 05-13-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on this subject, i just started seeing someone and there are definitely things i don't tell my therapist about (for me it isn't poker, that's the easy stuff). this is weird, right? or i guess normal... but the stuff i most need to talk about it is sooooo hard to verbalize, because then it's like you accept that they are issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and if they are issues then the impending quesiton is what are you going to do to get rid of/modify/deal with them.

Stages of Change:

1 Precontemplation
2 Contemplation
3 Planning
4 Action
5 Maintenance

Sounds like you might have just went from precontemplation mode to contemplation mode. If you make a decision to tell your therapist (and work on them) you will be in planning stage. Then telling him/her and figuring out what you are going to do and then taking action.

man 05-13-2007 03:23 PM

do you seriously need to see a therapist that badly that you can't go at most four weeks without one? and isn't it important to develop a relationship with your therapist? I don't see what you could gain from four weeks of contact with someone..

on another note, I've seen therapists before for incident-related stuff. once I evened out I didn't see the point.