Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Incredibly stupid question regarding clothing/weddings. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=468427)

Klompy 08-03-2007 12:43 PM

Incredibly stupid question regarding clothing/weddings.

I'm leaving this afternoon to go to a wedding in Chicago, and just started packing. I'm sure this is a super dumb question, but what's more appropriate to wear to a summer wedding, long sleeves or short? Assume I'm wearing khaki pants and a tie with it.

guids 08-03-2007 12:44 PM

Re: Incredibly stupid question regarding clothing/weddings.

never wear a tie with short sleeves

Klompy 08-03-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I figured, but wasn't sure if wearing long sleeves in the summer was a dumb idea, even if the wedding was inside.

Bicycles_Biatch 08-03-2007 01:17 PM

Post title says it all...

unless you're a rocket scientist that recently got fired and is planning on going on a tear through LA.... you are not allowed to wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

For summer weddings I usually wear a dress shirt, no tie, with a blazer on (if in-doors)

Fast Food Knight 08-03-2007 01:28 PM

I've been to a bunch of weddings this summer and EVERY male guest wore a suit, every time.

dnh83 08-03-2007 01:29 PM

Yeah, you don't want to show up at the wedding looking like this

http://greendayparadise.net/images/bj76.jpg

TiK 08-03-2007 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I figured, but wasn't sure if wearing long sleeves in the summer was a dumb idea, even if the wedding was inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never wear a tie with a short sleeves, that is, unless you're this guy, then it's a must:

http://imgred.com/http://images.jupi...1/23501139.jpg

Fast Food Knight 08-03-2007 01:48 PM

A good resource.

4_2_it 08-03-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to a bunch of weddings this summer and EVERY male guest wore a suit, every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the wedding is on the beach or the invitation specifies casual, wear a suit or at least a shirt, tie and jacket if you do not own a suit.

Klompy 08-03-2007 01:53 PM

Wedding will be casual judging by who's getting married, and I think wearing a suit will be the exception.

elwoodblues 08-03-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless, of course, your last name is Sipowicz
http://bogieworks.blogs.com/photos/u...d/sipowicz.jpg

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/06/andy-sipowicz.jpg

http://a.abc.com/primetime/nypdblue/...pd_franz_V.jpg

http://www.thebiographychannel.ca/im...sodes/2709.jpg

Fast Food Knight 08-03-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wedding will be casual judging by who's getting married, and I think wearing a suit will be the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend judging by the 1. invitation 2. the time of day 3. indoor/outdoor... this information will give you the best clues about what to wear. Do you know anyone else attending? Maybe ask them what they're planning to wear (as womanish as it sounds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

RoundGuy 08-03-2007 02:00 PM

How can we possibly give you correct advice without pics of the bride, Klompy? Geez....

Klompy 08-03-2007 02:02 PM

Wedding is in the afternoon, and although it didn't say it on the invite I'm sure that suits will not be the standard judging by attending other peoples weddings with the groom/ knowing who will be attending.

I was aware before I wrote the OP that a tie and short sleeves was a no go, I was more asking if it's OK to wear long sleeves in the the summer, or if I should just wear a short sleeve dress shirt without a tie.

Seeing as nobody made any comments about wearing long sleeves in the summer, I'm gonna go with that and tie.

Klompy 08-03-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can we possibly give you correct advice without pics of the bride, Klompy? Geez....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I don't have any pics of her. I've met her ~2-3 times in my life.

moondogg 08-03-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then just wear a sportscoat and tie. If you're overdressed, you and always take off the coat and/or tie.

Fast Food Knight 08-03-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then just wear a sportscoat and tie. If you're overdressed, you and always take off the coat and/or tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:06 PM

Unless the invitation specifies "casual" or the BRIDE has specifically told you that it's casual, the proper attire for a man at a wedding that starts before 8pm is a SUIT.

There is nothing wrong with being the best-dressed guest at a wedding.

RoundGuy 08-03-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I don't have any pics of her. I've met her ~2-3 times in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too bad -- because it does matter:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6139/weddinghw5.jpg

Klompy 08-03-2007 02:21 PM

RG, that pic is just to good to be true. The best part is that she's smoking and pregnant.

edit: I obviously should have looked at the pic closer and noticed that it's photoshoped.

highlife 08-03-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn 08-03-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. It really depends on the people. I went to one recently where ~20% of the people were in suits and i was somewhere in the middle dress wise with a silk shirt and nice slacks. You really are not required to wear a suit or even a sportscoat at a wedding.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really are not required to wear a suit or even a sportscoat at a wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

stabn 08-03-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright i guess we need to go back and redo the wedding i was at a couple of weekends ago then and have 50 guys go home and put on suits.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright i guess we need to go back and redo the wedding i was at a couple of weekd ago then and have 50 guys go home and put on suits.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a different argument; I'm well aware that lots of guys do not wear suits to weddings. They are all improperly dressed.

stabn 08-03-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright i guess we need to go back and redo the wedding i was at a couple of weekd ago then and have 50 guys go home and put on suits.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a different argument; I'm well aware that lots of guys do not wear suits to weddings. They are all improperly dressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Also there may be some east coast / west coast [censored] going on here.

RoundGuy 08-03-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright i guess we need to go back and redo the wedding i was at a couple of weekend ago then and have 50 guys go home and put on suits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't count now, since Drewdevil has spoken and we're all wrong.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:34 PM

I'm Gulf Coast, bitch, and I don't care if everyone's doing it, you're supposed to wear a suit to a wedding, unless it's on the beach or in Hawaii.

Klompy 08-03-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Also there may be some east coast / west coast/ midwest [censored] going on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think weddings where it's expected to wear a suit are the exception to the rule from my experience. This might be something that changes as time goes on and the people getting married are older though.

stabn 08-03-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm Gulf Coast, bitch, and I don't care if everyone's doing it, you're supposed to wear a suit to a wedding, unless it's on the beach or in Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry i didn't get my wedding rules guidebook when i was born. If most people aren't wearing suits they aren't all dressing wrong.

Life has moved on and left you behind.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright i guess we need to go back and redo the wedding i was at a couple of weekend ago then and have 50 guys go home and put on suits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't count now, since Drewdevil has spoken and we're all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all I'm saying.

guids 08-03-2007 02:41 PM

The trend over the last decade for men has been to lose the suit, and go a little more casual, drewdevil is 100% wrong. Style, and apropos attire is defined by what everyone else is doing, not something miss manners taught you.

Personally, I wear a suit no matter what, but Im the odd one out, and therefore doing the "wrong" thing.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry i didn't get my wedding rules guidebook when i was born. If most people aren't wearing suits they aren't all dressing wrong.

Life has moved on and left you behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If most were wearing gold glitter shoes, would that make it not wrong?

Pick up ANY book on men's attire and it will say the same thing.

The DaveR 08-03-2007 02:43 PM

At a wedding, being the one guy underdressed is substantially worse than being the one guy overdressed. At the movies is a different thing.

Also, I think once you're over 18 wearing a tie and no jacket should be forbidden.

El Diablo 08-03-2007 02:43 PM

K,

It's always OK to wear long sleeve dress shirts.

4_2_it 08-03-2007 02:48 PM

Drew,

I think most of these guys are talking about hippie weddings where those who wear suits are just seen as representations of evil corporate America.

The biggest controversy right now is whether or not you are supposed to wear socks with your Birkenstocks.

DrewDevil 08-03-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Style, and apropos attire is defined by what everyone else is doing, not something miss manners taught you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gentlemen, the attitude that brought you the fashions of the 1970s!

Fast Food Knight 08-03-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest controversy right now is whether or not you are supposed to wear socks with your Birkenstocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

stabn 08-03-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

I think most of these guys are talking about hippie weddings where those who wear suits are just seen as representations of evil corporate America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, evil corporate America indeed.

guids 08-03-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Style, and apropos attire is defined by what everyone else is doing, not something miss manners taught you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gentlemen, the attitude that brought you the fashions of the 1970s!

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in agreement with you somewhat, I like the classic look too, but fashion and what is appropriate is defined by what the general population is doing, so if everyone is not wearing suits nowadays (of which they arent) than its ok to not wear a suit, adn claiming it is "wrong" is stupid.