Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Not 4-betting a lot in $100NL (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=334525)

betgo 02-17-2007 03:37 PM

Not 4-betting a lot in $100NL

I find people tend to be really tight in their reraises, so it is better to flat call a reraise regardless of whether you have a big hand or not. A lot of times if you have AA you cause someone to fold, but if you have AK, you get allin against AA or KK.

I play aggressively preflop, so I get reraised more than most people. If I think someone is making a play on me, then I may 4-bet without a big hand or 4-bet with a big hand thinking they won't believe me and give me action. I Or I might have AA and think the other person has QQ-KK or AK, in which case, I will 4-bet looking for action.

For example, I posted in CO and open raised with AKo. A regular who knows my style and plays back at me reraised. I 4-bet and he folded. In this case, I was not that happy with playing AK postflop without the initiative, and thought he would fold to my 4-bet or flop push.

In general, some people are so tight with there reraising standards that it doesn't make sense to 4-bet a lot.

1p0kerboy 02-17-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Not 4-betting a lot in $100NL

[ QUOTE ]
For example, I posted in CO and open raised with AKo. A regular who knows my style and plays back at me reraised. I 4-bet and he folded. In this case, I was not that happy with playing AK postflop without the initiative, and thought he would fold to my 4-bet or flop push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this hand against me?

ImsaKidd 02-17-2007 03:50 PM

I dont remember the last time I 4b someone or I was 4b at FR.

betgo 02-17-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this hand against me?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, omahondo, who is not as much of a regular as you, as generally a fairly tight player.

1p0kerboy 02-17-2007 03:54 PM

In summary here are you saying 4-betting without AA or KK is a mistake unless a specific situation calls for it?

There was a hand similar to the one you described that we were involved in and I laid AK down to you. Hope it wasn't that big of a mistake!

MyTurn2Raise 02-17-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont remember the last time I 4b someone or I was 4b at FR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it last night and 33 called me...posted in the happy thread
on the v-days happy thread...i merely called the 3-bet and got it allin on the flop way ahead

like everything else, it is knowing your opponents and picking your spots

betgo 02-17-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In summary here are you saying 4-betting without AA or KK is a mistake unless a specific situation calls for it?

There was a hand similar to the one you described that we were involved in and I laid AK down to you. Hope it wasn't that big of a mistake!

[/ QUOTE ]
You started reraising me all the time, so I 4-bet you some. I don't know what I had, but I may have been the favorite with an underpair.

No, I am saying sometimes don't 4-bet with AA or KK either. You often get more action by letting the reraiser keep the initiative. Like everything else, I 4-bet with a mixture of hands and based on the situation. Sometimes it is fine to 4-bet with junk. If you only did it with AA or KK, it would be too easy for people to fold.

I am a tournament player, so I have a tendency to automatically 4-bet QQ+, AK. I think some people also go too far in not 4-betting in FR.

1p0kerboy 02-17-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a tournament player

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donkaments. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

betgo 02-17-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a tournament player

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donkaments. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
In all the other forums people look down on "donkaments". I have been doing pretty well playing them, I guess because they are so soft.

Playing tournaments may lead to a more aggressive style. You get used to reraising allin with suited connectors, Kxs, broadway cards, and small pairs late in tournaments. This is different from people with a limit holdem grinder backgoround, who have learned to just play medium and big pps and big aces and raise them preflop and thn bet every street.

1p0kerboy 02-17-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all the other forums people look down on "donkaments". I have been doing pretty well playing them, I guess because they are so soft.

Playing tournaments may lead to a more aggressive style. You get used to reraising allin with suited connectors, Kxs, broadway cards, and small pairs late in tournaments. This is different from people with a limit holdem grinder backgoround, who have learned to just play medium and big pps and big aces and raise them preflop and thn bet every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play SNGs almost exclusively so I have been subject to the "heckling" as well.

But if we're calling a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] cash games are much more difficult to play well.

I don't think you should be offended because you play both and succeed in both.

By the way, do you have a backer? The reason I'm asking is because the tournaments you play seem to be quite bigger (relatively) to the cash games you play.