Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Pettitte opts out (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539273)

Matt Williams 11-05-2007 10:02 PM

Pettitte opts out

Andy Pettitte opted out of his contract and declined $16 million. Amazing trust between him and the Yankees. He's not sure if he wants to retire or not, so he opted out so NY could get a roster spot open. His agent says if he comes back they will make an agreement w/ NY within 24 hours.

Link

MikeyPatriot 11-05-2007 10:06 PM

Re: Pettitte opts out

If he doesn't want to be a Yankee, the Yankees don't want him.

Rubeskies 11-05-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at equating this situation with the A-Rod situation.

MikeyPatriot 11-05-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm being 100% serious.

Also, this is actually awful for the Yankees. Teams are only allowed to sign a limited about of type A or B free agents depending on the amount of free agents in a given class. I assume Pettite would be at least a B, probably an A? I'm not sure of the class size, but I think it's a pretty small or moderate class, which would limit the Yanks to 3 A/B free agents.

THAY3R 11-05-2007 10:49 PM

Re-signing Mo and Posada will use up 2 of their free agent signings.

This could be a blessing in disguise [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matt Williams 11-05-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm being 100% serious.

Also, this is actually awful for the Yankees. Teams are only allowed to sign a limited about of type A or B free agents depending on the amount of free agents in a given class. I assume Pettite would be at least a B, probably an A? I'm not sure of the class size, but I think it's a pretty small or moderate class, which would limit the Yanks to 3 A/B free agents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that he actaully talked to Hank Steinbrenner and Cashman before doing this tells me that the Yankees are OK with him taking his time. Besides, this free agent class sucks anyway.

Rubeskies 11-05-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-signing Mo and Posada will use up 2 of their free agent signings.

This could be a blessing in disguise [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this could save us from a really bad Hunter/Jones signing.

ajml 11-05-2007 11:13 PM

I've never heard of this limit per class, could anyone elaborate on it? I know of the designations of A/B and the draft picks, I just didn't realize your signings were limited.

kyleb 11-05-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of this limit per class, could anyone elaborate on it? I know of the designations of A/B and the draft picks, I just didn't realize your signings were limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know about this either. Is this part of the new CBA?

MikeyPatriot 11-05-2007 11:19 PM

http://www.metsblog.com/2007/10/30/e...ompensation-2/

Edit: It's the last bullet point.

ajml 11-05-2007 11:23 PM

Thanks for that link. One more question from the article:
"Example: If there are less than 14 Type A or B free agents, no one team can sign more than one Type A or B free agent."
I take it this means one A and one B correct?

I wonder if I've never heard of this because its kind of a non-issue as long as there are a fair amount of decent free agents, with this year's class it might actually come into play.

Matt Williams 11-05-2007 11:34 PM

Here's a thought. My buddy mentioned that AP may be waiting for the Mitchell Report to come out before deciding if he wants to play next year. If he's in the report, he can just retire quietly and not bother answering questions.

James282 11-05-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a thought. My buddy mentioned that AP may be waiting for the Mitchell Report to come out before deciding if he wants to play next year. If he's in the report, he can just retire quietly and not bother answering questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way Peterson is in the remort, IMO.

James

Franchise 60 11-06-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Example: If there are less than 14 Type A or B free agents, no one team can sign more than one Type A or B free agent."

I wonder if I've never heard of this because its kind of a non-issue as long as there are a fair amount of decent free agents, with this year's class it might actually come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this also count against re-signing your own players?

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that after they opt for free agency/don't sign an extension, yes? I'm not 100% sure.

Rubeskies 11-06-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, if they file for free-agency they are no longer yours..

James282 11-06-2007 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that after they opt for free agency/don't sign an extension, yes? I'm not 100% sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it does. Signing a free agent is only really seen as poaching if it's from another team - concerning draft picks and other things, as far as I know. But I really don't know much about this 'max free agents' signing stuff.

James

onlinebeginner 11-06-2007 12:21 AM

Pettite is the perfect fir for them... they need a solid veteran that wants a 1 year contract.... I've got a gut feeling he's gonna try and pull a roger clemens for this upcoming year

vhawk01 11-06-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way Peterson is in the remort, IMO.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at "no way."

EDIT: Haha didnt see you say Peterson, still funny but now for a different reason

metsandfinsfan 11-06-2007 01:04 AM

id love pettite on the mets to replace glavine

Dynasty 11-06-2007 01:06 AM

I found this online. It seems the # of Type A and Type B free agents is only dependent on the # of free agents on the market. It doesn't actually matter how good the players are since they Types are assigned to the top 40% of players.

Free agents are grouped into three types of players; Type A, Type B and Unclassified.

Type A players comprise of players in the top 20 percent of their positions. A team that signs a Type A player must give its top draft pick to the team that is losing the player. The team that lost the player also receives a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds. However, if the signing team has a draft pick in the first half of the first round (picks 1-15), their first round pick is protected and would then surrender their next highest draft pick.

Type B players comprise of players in the top 21-40 percent of their positions. Any team that loses a Type B players receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose any picks.

Any team who loses an unclassified player is not subject to any compensation.

The formula to determine player types, which is not widely known, is comprised of several factors, including statistical analysis of the players previous two seasons, and players are grouped into the following positional categories: 1B/DH/OF, 2B/SS/3B, C, SP, and RP.

In order for the former team of a free agent to receive compensation for losing a player to free agency, the player must sign with another team before December 2 or the team must have offered the player arbitration before December 1.

If a team signs multiple free agents from within the same category, the team loses picks in order of the highest-ranked players.

Teams are limited to the number of Type A and Type B free agents they can sign, which is determined by the number of free agents available. Example: If there are less than 14 Type A or B free agents, no one team can sign more than one Type A or B free agent. According to Law, last season there were approximately 93 Type A or B free agents, who filed for free agency, which left the per-team quota at eight.

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 01:10 AM

Dynasty,

I already posted that in the link above.

Also, I have to assume the ESB formula is a pile of crap and overvalues things like RBI's and SB.

Jack of Arcades 11-06-2007 01:12 AM

the ESB formula thinks Lowell is better than A-Rod.

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I haven't looked at this year's list, beyond the fact that David Ortiz scored a perfect 100 this year. But that's just...wow. LOL.

kyleb 11-06-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so

Toro 11-06-2007 09:21 AM

I don't understand the pros of Pettitte opting out if he will only play for the Yankees next year unless of course he thinks he can squeeze them for more cash.

The given reason, to open a roster spot, seems lame.

He could just excercise the option and then if he doesn't want to play come February, retire.

Vyse 11-06-2007 10:49 AM

Doesn't the open roster spot help them in regards to the Rule V draft?

I have literally no idea if it does or not, I'm just saying.

Toro 11-06-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might help the Yankees, but it doesn't help Pettitte at all. So if he is opting for more money then this reason is imo pretty lame.

But maybe the guy's motives are pure and he just wants what's best for the Yankees. Rare these days.

mo42nyy 11-06-2007 11:26 AM

Ive always thought Pettite was overate (mainly because because act like he's been schilling in the playoffs) but hes stilla very good pitcher and I hope he comes back.
If it really were about making the most money possible he wouldve signed a long term contract last year.

TMTTR 11-06-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does.

Pettitte has been very upfront with the Yankees -- and he is helping the Yankees by becoming a free agent (if he is true to his word of going nowhere but the Yankees). If he had taken the option he would have definitely needed to be added to the 40-man roster leaving another player vulnerable.

I am not sure what the effect would have been if the Yankees extended the time he could exercise the option (as was discussed in the last few days)-- they may still have needed to hold a spot for him even though he hadn't decided...

Edit: Actually, Pettitte had a long conversation with Cashman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they both agreed that this would be best for both sides...

sylar 11-06-2007 03:23 PM

i am not sure if this is true, but Pettite is not a FA because he opted out. he only becomes a FA if he files for free agency. are these two acts separate in MLB legalese?

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am not sure if this is true, but Pettite is not a FA because he opted out. he only becomes a FA if he files for free agency. are these two acts separate in MLB legalese?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Accordingly, we are declining to exercise the option for 2008 and Andy will declare free agency in order to free up a roster spot for the Yankees."

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, if he opted out of his contract, what would he be if he wasn't a free agent?

sylar 11-06-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Accordingly, we are declining to exercise the option for 2008 and Andy will declare free agency in order to free up a roster spot for the Yankees."

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, if he opted out of his contract, what would he be if he wasn't a free agent?

[/ QUOTE ]

IDK, retiree, like clemens last year?

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IDK, retiree, like clemens last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then Clemens was a free agent and signed with the Yankees?

Did Clemens even opt out of a contract?

mo42nyy 11-06-2007 04:20 PM

clemens only had a 1 yr deal with houston