Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

danzasmack 01-31-2007 02:15 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone know a user friendly stats program? By user friendly, I mean not R.

[/ QUOTE ]

stata.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have specified that it must be free.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big of a dataset? I think you mentioned excel - if you are doing anything on your own I trust it isn't much data and can just use excel.

Pretty much everything like STATA is going to cost and arm and a leg because they're commercial products. We use SAS here at work and I think it's a LOT better than STATA, more "project friendly" but it also costs a lot.

For any gifted developers an open source stat analysis package seems like a cool idea. If anyone is interested my statistics knowledge is vast, though I can hardly say the same for my programming skills.

Duke 01-31-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone know a user friendly stats program? By user friendly, I mean not R.

[/ QUOTE ]

stata.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have specified that it must be free.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big of a dataset? I think you mentioned excel - if you are doing anything on your own I trust it isn't much data and can just use excel.

Pretty much everything like STATA is going to cost and arm and a leg because they're commercial products. We use SAS here at work and I think it's a LOT better than STATA, more "project friendly" but it also costs a lot.

For any gifted developers an open source stat analysis package seems like a cool idea. If anyone is interested my statistics knowledge is vast, though I can hardly say the same for my programming skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stata's like a badass Origin?

bozzer 01-31-2007 02:46 PM

I'm a budding ecologist. There's loads of stuff Excel doesn't do, e.g. GLMs.

I agree that Open Source stats program would be very popular, and a very worthwhile project (think of all the 3rd world countries that can't afford $100+ programs).

While we're on the subject (new thread?), I had a great idea during dinner - a poker hand analysis tool that can calculate EV of various different moves if you provide hand ranges, b/r/c/k % etc. How sweet would that be? Perhaps it could even do game theory of certain situations. I'd play $15 for it.

KOTLP 01-31-2007 02:49 PM

My must have windows apps, most of which are free:

Firefox (drag de go and adblock are most important non-developer related extensions for me)
Thunderbird
EditPlus (very powerful text editor, also runs on Linux with wine if you aren't a VIM fan)
Gaim with the windows plugin. I use it for AIM, IRC, Google Talk, and a SILC server.
Gimp
Paint.net
Open Office
Winamp
Putty (ssh client)
CuteFTP Pro
Password Safe
Search and Destroy
AVG

And a bunch of developer tools.

MrWookie 01-31-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those mentioning AIM/messaging clients like

GAIM, Trillian, Meebo

which of these have logging as a feature? I still use an old AIM version with DeadAIM because the logging feature is so great. I highly recommend using logging -- it makes it so easy to go back and remember what movie you were talking about, what link you sent a few days ago, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use Trillian and it saves everything you typed with someone (right-click the person in your list and click 'View Contact History')

[/ QUOTE ]

It's decently searchable, too. I'd consider switching from Trillian, but Meebo or whatever would have to have this feature.

kniper 01-31-2007 02:53 PM

Does anyone have any good Microsoft Word alternatives in Windows??

KOTLP 01-31-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.openoffice.org/

PartyGirlUK 01-31-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.openoffice.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

Open Office is really really good, at least for a casual user.

TiK 01-31-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Writer, part of open office. I've only used the Mac version, but they do have a windows version.

Edit: Beat to the punch. I lose.

Smokey_McPot 01-31-2007 04:48 PM

VLC media player

firefox

Mplayer (not to be confused with mediaplayer), harder to use than vlc, but for the rare occations when vlc fails mplayer can play a ham sandwich.

fulDC combined with the knowledge the begins at whyrar opens a world of possibilities.

mIRC with nn script rocks the socks off all other IM appz if you learn to use it.