Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Moving a dog to a cold climate (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526972)

RR 10-20-2007 02:16 AM

Moving a dog to a cold climate

I recently moved to Colorado. We have two dogs and one is doing great. The other won't use the bathroom when it is cold out and this is starting to become a real problem. Does anyone have experience with a healthy dog the suddenly wants to poop in the house?

JackInDaCrak 10-20-2007 02:20 AM

Re: Moving a dog to a cold climate

leave him outside until he poos. He's got a goddamned fur coat.

LeapFrog 10-20-2007 02:24 AM

Does he lift his paws off the ground a lot? You could try putting some 'doggie booties' on him.

XXXNoahXXX 10-20-2007 02:29 AM

He'll get used to it. Millions of dogs live in cold climates and are fine. My dog used to go out in a foot of snow and crap and then run around, wouldn't even cry to come in for a while, so obviously they can handle the cold. Just let him deal with it for a while..

ArcticKnight 10-20-2007 02:35 AM

Take it from ArcticKnight, you need to get your dog out walking in the cold. Don't let him get houseboound. The cold weather is just statrting, so the dog needs to get it's lungs adjusted to colder temps and have it's fur thicken as well. Long walks will help this. If you give in now it will be hopeless in the dead of winter.

We have a 5 pound dog that goes out a 40 below. She' only out for about 90 seconds, but she's out.

They poster who mentioned the things for paws is right, they can help, except if it's wet and cold, then they can be even worse, IMO.

XXXNoahXXX 10-20-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take it from ArcticKnight, you need to get your dog out walking in the cold. Don't let him get houseboound. The cold weather is just statrting, so the dog needs to get it's lungs adjusted to colder temps and have it's fur thicken as well. Long walks will help this. If you give in now it will be hopeless in the dead of winter.

We have a 5 pound dog that goes out a 40 below. She' only out for about 90 seconds, but she's out.

They poster who mentioned the things for paws is right, they can help, except if it's wet and cold, then they can be even worse, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK,

No.

RR 10-20-2007 02:40 AM

This dig is pissing me off. We take her for walks and then she waits to go in the house. The smaller dog is doing fine in the cold. My wife says the dog doesn't like the cold wind on its butt.

ArcticKnight 10-20-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AK,

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have few things to offer in these threads, but advise on living in a northern climate is one of them. Now if you live in certain parts of Alaska you "might" be north of me, otherwise MYOB.

Golden_Rhino 10-20-2007 03:04 AM

Based on the dude's username, I might be inclined to believe him. You know, just like if you ever had a problem with your pet rhino not getting along with the neighbors cats, you would ask me

ncboiler 10-20-2007 03:06 AM

He will take a [censored] eventually even if he is Siberia. Really. Don't over think this.

ArcticKnight 10-20-2007 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This dig is pissing me off. We take her for walks and then she waits to go in the house. The smaller dog is doing fine in the cold. My wife says the dog doesn't like the cold wind on its butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

May not be the temperature. I mean if the dog is already outside and won't crap......anyway, good luck. Hope the dog adjusts soon..

mookboi 10-20-2007 03:56 AM

Not in a cold climate, but when my mother got a dog, she refused to go outside for a while. Wouldn't do it, would just bark and wait to go inside. Tried staying out with her for like 2 hours, walking around, nothing.

Neighbor solved problem by leaving dog outside tied to tree. Barked for hours, eventually realized it's gotta go, and went.

Try that.

whiskeytown 10-20-2007 03:59 AM

I am always surprised folks don't discipline their dogs as harsh as they would discipline their kids -

if he poops in the house, rub his nose in it and boot his ass outside - eventually he'll get the hint - problem solved - they learn to avoid negative behavior fast. -

RB

blackize 10-20-2007 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if he poops in the house, rub his nose in it and boot his ass outside - eventually he'll get the hint - problem solved - they learn to avoid negative behavior fast. -

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies have shown that dogs don't associate the negative attention with the bad behavior unless you catch them in the act. So you have to get him while he's pooping or peeing otherwise he's just going to be confused as to why you're yelling at him.

MortalWombat 10-20-2007 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies have shown that dogs don't associate the negative attention with the bad behavior unless you catch them in the act. So you have to get him while he's pooping or peeing otherwise he's just going to be confused as to why you're yelling at him.

[/ QUOTE ]Well yeah, but it's still fun.

Hawklet 10-20-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution: Run a small electric current through the floor of the house. As soon as he starts peeing in the house ZAP!

(Side note: you will have to wear shoes everywhere and get him rubber paw booties)

Badger 10-20-2007 07:01 PM

What kind of dog is it?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-20-2007 07:44 PM

get it one of those doggie sweaters.

GSykes 10-20-2007 08:10 PM

I think your dog might be gay

MiloMinderbinder 10-20-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently moved to Colorado. We have two dogs and one is doing great. The other won't use the bathroom when it is cold out and this is starting to become a real problem. Does anyone have experience with a healthy dog the suddenly wants to poop in the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time get a real dog not a prissy Paris Hilton wannabe dog.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RR 10-22-2007 02:49 PM

Update: Today the snow is melting so the dog found some grass to poop in. Still no idea how to get her to poop in the snow. My wife didn't think it was funny when I told her she could take the snow shovel out and dig a spot for the dog.

4_2_it 10-22-2007 02:57 PM

RR,

Punish when the dog is pooping in your house. Reward when the dog poops outside. That's really all you can do. You can win this battle, but it will take some time.

RR 10-22-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RR,

Punish when the dog is pooping in your house. Reward when the dog poops outside. That's really all you can do. You can win this battle, but it will take some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea we gave her a treat for pooping outside. We havee't been able to catch her popping inside because she sneaks off to go poop.

GiantWalleye 10-23-2007 12:07 AM

No offense OP, but after reading the title then seeing this.

[ QUOTE ]
I recently moved to Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

It made me crack up laughing. I moved to CO for a job and after a year I moved back to NE Minnesota because CO was to fricken hot for me. I am used to the 40 below winters articknight was talking about. Its crazy we have the same weather as most of Alaska here, but we do.
Anyway, I got 2 German Shorthair pointer pups not long before I moved to CO. They were great with the weather there, especially with the shorthair coats. When I took them back to MN in the winter the first time, they really didn't want to go outside but I made them and they adjusted pretty quickly. Now they like cold air and water. It is kinda like the concept of force fetching, make them do it and they will learn to just do it.
Have fun in CO and if you don't like the cold I wouldn't recommend Minnesota.

shaftman11 10-23-2007 01:06 AM

RR

Call a local dog trainer. He/She may have some better tips for helping your dog out. And if that doesn't work, like somebody else said "tie the dog to a tree til its craps".

prana 10-23-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How come my dog runs out into the alley immediately when I open the door when she has either 1. gotten in the garbage, eaten food off the counter or 2. had diarrhea and went in the house? She only does this if she has done one of the two things stated above. Shenanigans I call.

Sounds like your dog just wants to crap on grass and the cold isn't the issue. My dog is kind of the same way. She will go on snow but in the summer if there's no grass around she won't. She won't go on gravel, etc. Not sure how to fix this.

Borodog 10-23-2007 02:20 PM

RR,

Two options.

1) Leave the dog outside tied to a tree until she goes, as already suggested.

2) If you take her out and she doesn't go, put her in a crate until you try again. Repeat until she goes outside, and only then allow her free run inside. Repeate until she goes readily outside.

Also, regularize her routine if it isn't already. Always feed and walk at regular times.

blackize 10-23-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How come my dog runs out into the alley immediately when I open the door when she has either 1. gotten in the garbage, eaten food off the counter or 2. had diarrhea and went in the house? She only does this if she has done one of the two things stated above. Shenanigans I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking or acting angrily towards the dog? Dogs can sense your mood and pick up changes in tone of voice. Your dog is probably aware that you are upset with her, but does not realize that eating garbage or crapping on the rug is the cause of your ire.

The Bus Driver 10-23-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) If you take her out and she doesn't go, put her in a crate until you try again. Repeat until she goes outside, and only then allow her free run inside. Repeate until she goes readily outside.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is it. Crate training works.

prana 10-26-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking or acting angrily towards the dog? Dogs can sense your mood and pick up changes in tone of voice. Your dog is probably aware that you are upset with her, but does not realize that eating garbage or crapping on the rug is the cause of your ire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. What part of "immediately when I open the door" did I not make clear. O.K. One more time. The second the key is in the door and I open the door enough for her to squeeze her head through, she's booking it to the alley. Whether or not she's running for the alley is my way of knowing if she's done something wrong inside the house before I ever even turn on a light. If she's done nothing wrong she will stretch, wake up, wag tail, etc. If she's done something wrong she's literally forcing the door open once it's a crack open and running to the alley. I don't change moods until I see the damages and by that time she is already in the alley hiding out.

CORed 10-26-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your dog just wants to crap on grass and the cold isn't the issue. My dog is kind of the same way. She will go on snow but in the summer if there's no grass around she won't. She won't go on gravel, etc. Not sure how to fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, most dogs are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. The fact that the dog is only pooping in the house when you're not watching indicates that she knows she's not supposed to do it. Making her stay outside until she poops is probably the best solution. When she does do it outside, praise her, give he a treat or whatever. She probably has the idea that she can only poop on grass, and the snow confuses her.

As for the negative side, I am not convinced that catching the dog in the act is necessary, especially if the dog already knows it's doing something wrong. I wouldn't get really abusive, but pointing out the "violation" and telling her "bad nog" or whatever you say to let her know she's in trouble will get the message across. Scooping up the poop and taking it and her outside may help get it across, too. Also, thorough cleanup, possibly using one of the enzyme products made for that purpose to get rid of the scent is important. Once the scent of poop/pee gets into an area, it's much harder to cure a dog (or cat) of using that area.