Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Travel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   things to hate about backpacking culture (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551944)

kafkaFan1 11-22-2007 01:21 AM

things to hate about backpacking culture

how backpackers are always out to do something not "touristy" - yeah sorry, but that's what you are, you are exactly a tourist

haggling over things that are very cheap relative to the afflunent country the traveller comes from.

backpackers who don't actually learn about the place they're at - the people who walk around from cafe to cafe all day and then go out drinking with other people from a hostel at night.

kafkaFan1 11-22-2007 01:32 AM

Re: things to hate about backpacking culture

okay just remembered a big one. backpackers who are so positive at the expense of truth and realism. backpacking is just like anything else in life, it's not going to lead to being in a state of ecstasty 100% of the time, but for some reason backpackers think they need to always be having the time of their life. when i travel there are always ups and downs and times of boredom. it was like pulling teeth a lot of the time to get people to be honest about their experiences and admit the same happened to them.

Shilly 11-22-2007 05:59 AM

What part of the world are you talking about? Europe? Southeast Asia? Somewhere else?

kafkaFan1 11-22-2007 07:28 AM

what the heck difference does it make

ofdabeat 11-22-2007 07:58 AM

Peace man, travelling is so cool

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/postc...ght-hippie.jpg

T50_Omaha8 11-22-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how backpackers are always out to do something not "touristy" - yeah sorry, but that's what you are, you are exactly a tourist

[/ QUOTE ] Who cares what someone else does with their time?

[ QUOTE ]
haggling over things that are very cheap relative to the afflunent country the traveller comes from

[/ QUOTE ] So the rules of economics go out the window while traveling?

If you hate backpackers so much, go to Norway or Hong Kong. Not a backpacker in sight.

Oh, you can't afford it? Then quit your bitching, backpacker.

kafkaFan1 11-22-2007 05:06 PM

i hate myself for posting on here

roamer590 11-22-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

haggling over things that are very cheap relative to the afflunent country the traveller comes from.

backpackers who don't actually learn about the place they're at - the people who walk around from cafe to cafe all day and then go out drinking with other people from a hostel at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL WEAK SHEEP BACKPACKERZ CHEAP WEAK SHORTSTACKERZ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

slickss 11-22-2007 06:52 PM

I'm also annoyed at certain types of travellers, but people travel for different reasons. Some want tropical temperatures and beaches. Some just want a change of pace and see some big city, spending their days sipping coffee, eating good food, and general sightseeing. Some want to stay clear of other tourists, experiencing the "real" culture, etc.

That's just how it is. People pay for their travels and can spend them any way they want.

That said, I'm more annoyed at people that don't travel. I'll never understand why many people aren't as curious about the world as I am.

quickfetus 11-23-2007 04:24 AM

Brag: I don't know the OP in person.