Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A general question re: coin flips near teh bubble (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524132)

brad2002tj 10-16-2007 10:10 AM

A general question re: coin flips near teh bubble

Players often say, and I agree, that the best time to really build your stack is as the bubble is approaching. However, this is also when I often bust out.

For example, last night in the stars $4/180 with 28 people left hero has $6000 and the blinds are $400 with $25 ante. Hero is on teh button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] against a middle position LAG raise to 1200. His range is any pair or QJ+ so we are a favorite, however slight.

Hero?

levAA 10-16-2007 10:22 AM

Re: A general question re: coin flips near teh bubble

easy push on the bubble you have much FE, and if he calls with that range you are a favorite.

CobraGoat 10-16-2007 10:42 AM

yes, thats an easy shove IMO.

2p2J 10-16-2007 02:21 PM

Against a loose player you can feel good about shoving with 88. Like lev said i think you get the best FE around the bubble. But since its a loose player its likely your getting called and tossing for your tourney life.

SharkTank43 10-16-2007 02:22 PM

Shove for sure.

ZenMusician 10-16-2007 02:30 PM

You're getting pretty short, I like a shove here...
(even though Ax has been calling and winning)

In what situation would this be a fold (obv if villain
is retarded then no FE)? Closer to bubble? M of ??

-ZEN

Pokerfarian 10-16-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting pretty short, I like a shove here...
(even though Ax has been calling and winning)

In what situation would this be a fold (obv if villain
is retarded then no FE)? Closer to bubble? M of ??

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]
Even with no FE we're happy to shove it in if we're slightly ahead (or minutely behind) of his range (note we want hands like A7 & obv 66 to call). This becomes not a shove if he's a very tight player such that we're definitely behind his range. Also if we have too many chips to make a shove without a fairly crappy risk/reward ratio, and as such smooth calling would be best. I'm pretty much happy to shove in these exact stacks/villians however close to bubble

erc007 10-17-2007 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we are a favorite, however slight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be looking to take these opportunites at any and every hand/level/time in a tourney. I thought that there was a consensus reached a long time ago at 2p2 that no one is good enough to pass on a small edge, without exception and regardless of other variables, circumstances, situations, etc...