Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   B&M 1-2, I'm weak/tight (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=518195)

iron81 10-08-2007 11:08 AM

B&M 1-2, I\'m weak/tight

Hand 1: I open raise A-10o to $12 in EP with about $100 behind, villains cover. MP makes it 25, CO cold calls, folds around to me and I muck.

Hand 2: I open raise QQ to $12 in EP with about $120 behind, villain covers. Same player in MP makes it $25 to go, everyone else folds and I call. Flop K-J-x rainbow I check, villain bets $50, I fold.

KurtSF 10-08-2007 11:25 AM

Re: B&M 1-2, I\'m weak/tight

Hand 1: I don't raise ATo from EP in a game where I know I'm getting called. Most live games fit this description.

Hand 2: Still $100 effective stacks? Shove when it comes back to you.

Where are you playing?

iron81 10-08-2007 11:29 AM

Majestic Star in Gary, IN. Game is $100 max buyin. Effective stacks in hand 2 are $120.

I should mention that this game was playing a little tighter than usual. An EP raise will usually get 1-2 callers instead of 2-4.

morphball 10-08-2007 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should mention that this game was playing a little tighter than usual. An EP raise will usually get 1-2 callers instead of 2-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising ATo in EP is still unwarranted and most likely a leak, were you card dead and bored or something?

iron81 10-08-2007 11:43 AM

No, I thought I'd be called by worse. Remember, this is B&M, so you'll find plenty of people calling with any ace and suited connectors for 10% of effective stacks.

Anyhoo, I would think that it would be better to raise marginal hands in a loose game. In a tight game, you'll only be called by worse, but you'll get action from hands you dominate in a loose game.

chillywater8 10-08-2007 12:31 PM

1. fold
2. push

KurtSF 10-08-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I thought I'd be called by worse. Remember, this is B&M, so you'll find plenty of people calling with any ace and suited connectors for 10% of effective stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I would recommend staying tight, not pushing small edges and not getting fancy. You have a pretty good expectation to get payed with your big hands, so why mess around in marginal spots or in RIO situations?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhoo, I would think that it would be better to raise marginal hands in a loose game. In a tight game, you'll only be called by worse, but you'll get action from hands you dominate in a loose game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is loose *and* passive I think you're generally right. You'll be in more big pots, and if you can make fewer mistakes than your opponents you will profit. If there is anyone behind you who is capable of 3-betting you will have to give up on a lot of these hands preflop, and raising light doesn't look as good.

CalledDownLight 10-08-2007 01:38 PM

i'd push hand 2 preflop. I might even be willing to get it in postflop with a more specific read.

PokerFun007 10-08-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. fold
2. push

[/ QUOTE ]

Signed.

SammyG-SD 10-08-2007 01:43 PM

-agreed with the other post about A10 in EP, but if the table is tight and/or your table image is really tight, then sometimes I like to throw up a weather ballon. As played definetly fold to the reraise

-on the second hand, I actually think it is read dependent, but from the two hands given, I think this is a 3-bet preflop. As played, you invited MP to C-bet you.