Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   what bank should i use at northwestern? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450935)

DLKeeper1 07-14-2007 12:51 PM

what bank should i use at northwestern?

any nu students know what bank is best? i just want something convenient that won't charge a lot of fees for having a small checking account that i will take money out of once a week.

XXXNoahXXX 07-14-2007 02:01 PM

Re: what bank should i use at northwestern?

ummm whichever one has an atm on campus.

this is pretty much always the answer since all banks offer 4-5 yrs free student checking.

emon87 07-14-2007 02:36 PM

USBank

jupiterpig 07-14-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much always the answer since all banks offer 4-5 yrs free student checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

get one of those and then look into this...

at INGdirest...you get 4% interest on balance in checking account...4.5% on savings and 5%+ on CD...you get a debit card that does not charge at the random ATM's in like Walgreens and Target...go to their site to check it out

The only drawback is getting money there...will need to link to existing account at another bank

emon87 07-15-2007 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get one of those and then look into this...

at INGdirest...you get 4% interest on balance in checking account...4.5% on savings and 5%+ on CD...you get a debit card that does not charge at the random ATM's in like Walgreens and Target...go to their site to check it out

The only drawback is getting money there...will need to link to existing account at another bank

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need a car to get from NU campus to the nearest fee-free ATM, as of the last time I looked (a few months ago)

emon87 07-15-2007 04:55 AM

Also, if you have any other questions about NU feel free to PM me.

jmxthievez 07-17-2007 03:43 AM

ah a fellow northwesterner, you should probably have USbank since it's on your wildcard, however, US bank sucks and its only open at norris, the student center.

I recommend you get a bank of america, there is one on noyes street on north campus and one on south campus as well. bank of america is also a ton better in terms of service. As a last resort, I would go chase, but the walk is longer I think.

suppasonic 07-17-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How useful is it to have USBank tied to your wildcard. I just got the ATM card becuase I figured I was gonna get one anyways, so I'd just use that instead and wouldnt have extra worry if I lost my wildcard.

jmxthievez 07-17-2007 04:06 PM

no use in getting the ATM card, just use your wildcard for everything.

if you lose it, just get a new one no biggie.
i still recommend a bank of america acct though, USbank sucks b/c you can't use it anywhere else besides at NU

emon87 07-17-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How useful is it to have USBank tied to your wildcard. I just got the ATM card becuase I figured I was gonna get one anyways, so I'd just use that instead and wouldnt have extra worry if I lost my wildcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I have heard about the wildcard/atm combo is that it sucks - the ATM strip on the wildcard is evidently very unreliable. I just carry my debit card.

Also, I have always had fantastic service with USBank. My debit card was stolen and the info used to empty my account AND overdraw it by $2500 in New York, and USBank called ME to tell me that something appeared to be wrong and I had the money back within two weeks.