Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes MTT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Preflop spot in Main Event (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447386)

T_Mac 07-10-2007 04:05 AM

Preflop spot in Main Event

This seemed like a real close spot. Villain in this hand is Riverboatking, HSNL cash player. Earlier he had been playing a lot more aggressively preflop raising and squeezing a lot but seemed to have calmed down a bit lately. He's lost a few pots to bad luck, and bluffed some off and never been able to chip up. Blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante. So 1100 in the pot preflop. RBK has about 11k and had just pushed the hand or 2 hands earlier to win the blinds. But again he had been pretty quiet before that. Pretty much everyone on my left is a nit, and RBK is two to my right. Oh one player to my right is basically invisible, hes played 2 hands in a billion hours so he doesn't count. This hand RBK pushes again for 11k or so after 3 or 4 folds and I look down at AJ of spades on the button or cutoff. I don't remember exactly how many chips I had, over 50k, maybe 70k, enough so losing 11k wouldn't hurt me much at all. But I don't want to double RBK up, and 11 or 12k is a lot to call with AJ...also any validity to the idea that the 2nd time he does it hes more likely to have a real hand? Cuz that thought crossed my mind...anyway call or fold?

Mr.WeakTight 07-10-2007 04:13 AM

Re: Preflop spot in Main Event

it seems like he's pushing a lot so you're ahead of his hand range. you can't worry about doubling the guy up - you want to accumulate chips and if you're ahead then you want to put chips in the pot. the debate for me is whether to push to isolate when you've already got nits who will fold to his raise / your call or whether you want to just call in case one of the nits has premium. I think just call.

i think the third time is when he's more likely to have a hand.

Syntec87 07-10-2007 04:22 AM

esp if he knows you he may do this extra light here cause standard logic is that two moves in a row is risky.

Id call. snap call if s00ted.

mlagoo 07-10-2007 04:40 AM

hes really open-cramming 30BBs? i always thought the good cash players having big tourney leaks thing was a myth.

it definitely matters what position he is in here... like HJ is definitely different from MP2....

so i'm just gonna throw a range out there and see how we do.

actually, i honestly really don't know what sort of range to put him on, because this is so weird. im sure AA-QQ arent in his range... but is 22? KQs?

i think id fold, just because i dont like sticking 30BBs in when im just making a fairly uneducated guess as to the dudes range. its probably close though.

mastr 07-10-2007 04:49 AM

call if his shove comes from MP2 or later

betgo 07-10-2007 04:57 AM

A mid position open push for 27xBB seems strange. I wouldn't call with AJ, but maybe the call is OK.

Episteme 07-10-2007 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hes really open-cramming 30BBs? i always thought the good cash players having big tourney leaks thing was a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, don't you think the fact that a good player is considering calling 30BB w/ AJ makes this a pretty good shove w/ premium hands?

mlagoo 07-10-2007 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, don't you think the fact that a good player is considering calling 30BB w/ AJ makes this a pretty good shove w/ premium hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, its obviously going to be a +ev shove, but i imagine just openraising is going to be a better option...

T_Mac 07-10-2007 05:32 AM

ok HMM I think the BB was seat 2, so I was the button and that would make him 1 before the hijack (but again the one player to his left was almost non-existent so you could almost call him the HJ).

Episteme, no because I would have reraised a normal sized raise here and he would have gotten the chips in anyway.

psyduck 07-10-2007 05:52 AM

what the [censored]? am I the only guy who realizes that he is shoving 30 big blinds (obv not counting antes)? i snap-fold this AJ and probably fold AQ as well.