Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official MLB All-Star Game Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=440744)

g-bebe 07-01-2007 10:58 PM

Official MLB All-Star Game Thread

Pretty much to prevent any other threads about it being made.

NL and AL lineups, rotations, and reserves can be found in the links.

Personally, I think the NL starting lineup is a big-time joke. I'm a big Soriano fan, but to pick him over Brad Hawpe is really weak if you ask me, not to mention not starting Matt Holliday. That is such a joke. Then again, I shouldn't expect much better from the AS game.

vin17 07-01-2007 11:01 PM

Re: Official MLB All-Star Game Thread

McCovey Cove is gonna be a parking lot.

SuperUberBob 07-01-2007 11:43 PM

I started two of these, I think.

Anyways, I dislike having Ortiz start at 1B. One, he's not a first baseman and two, he pushed Kevin Youkilis off of the list. Ortiz is the best of the first baseman on the ballot, but I didn't vote for him since I didn't consider him a 1B. Only other issues are that the third outfielder shouldn't be a starter (Ichiro). IMO, Sheffield should be starting, not Ichiro. And Pudge shouldn't be starting. Martinez is way better.

Snubs on the AL Roster:

1B - Mark Texeira, TEX: Although his stats aren't as good as Morneau, he also missed about 17 games due to injury. If he played those games, his stats would be as good, if not better than Morneau.

SS - Orlando Cabrera, LAA: Peralta can be also be included, as their stats are both fairly good and they're both better than Michael Young's numbers.

NL

Carbrera should be a starter for the NL. Wright got in because of the pull of the Mets fans. Doubly so for Carlos Beltran.

NL Snubs:

2B - Dan Uggla, FLA. I suppose Sanchez was included due to the at least one player per team rule because there's no way he's been better than Uggla this season.

3B - Chipper Jones, ATL: Possible starter if he played all of the games this season. Second highest OPS in NL.

SS - Hanley Ramirez, FLA: There's a clusterfuck of incredible SS's in the NL and a case can be made for all of them, but IMO Hanley is the second best SS in the NL behind Jose Reyes.

OF - Eric Byrnes, ARI - Top 5 at his position in runs, hits, total bases, stolen bases and top 10 in BA and OPS

SP - Chris Young, SD - The biggest snub in the MLB and it's not even close. Third in ERA in NL, 2nd in WHIP, 1st in opponent's BA and tied for 7th in strikeouts with 90.

Overall, the NL pitching staff contains way too many closers. There are *six* closers on the team. By comparison, there are four closers on the AL team.

SuperUberBob 07-01-2007 11:48 PM

And a question of curiosity:

dontmesswithme 07-01-2007 11:54 PM

This poll would, I hope, look a lot different results than the one espn has going now (54% no lol)

damaniac 07-02-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This poll would, I hope, look a lot different results than the one espn has going now (54% no lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the lead-in mentioning him having a sub-par year. He's leading the league in OPS.

bottomset 07-02-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the lead-in mentioning him having a sub-par year. He's leading the league in OPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

.516/.603 is bad obv

THAY3R 07-02-2007 01:47 AM

James Shields is so awesome what a shame.

Vyse 07-02-2007 01:47 AM

lol @ 2 month stars making AS games

THAY3R 07-02-2007 01:54 AM

Yea, it's not like Shields is the 2nd or 3rd best SP in the AL and you're just being ignorant or anything...