Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Flop Raise/Fold -- Standard? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529891)

gaming_mouse 10-23-2007 10:51 PM

Flop Raise/Fold -- Standard?

Online 15. UTG opens, I 3b 77 in the CO, folds to him, he caps. Havn't been playing long, but have already seen him cap before, so I think his capping range is wider than usual, and he seems to play at least decently, and may have noticed me 3 betting light.

Flop: 944r

He cbets, I raise, he 3b, I fold.

Sorry if this is standard.... does your answer change if the flop has 2 to a flush?

admiralfluff 10-23-2007 11:10 PM

Re: Flop Raise/Fold -- Standard?

He doesn't have to get out of line very often to exploit this if it's your standard play. I would do this against some players, but certainly not an aggressive, seemingly decent unknown. I would just call down, because an aggressive player will often vb AK the whole way here, and may 3barrel something carp.

edit: Your line would be my standard on a Q94 flop fwiw.

gaming_mouse 10-24-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't have to get out of line very often to exploit this if it's your standard play. I would do this against some players, but certainly not an aggressive, seemingly decent unknown. I would just call down, because an aggressive player will often vb AK the whole way here, and may 3barrel something carp.

edit: Your line would be my standard on a Q94 flop fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey admiral,

by standard i didn't mean that i always take this line... i just meant... is this a typical play in your arsenal. I don't know... I felt pretty safe that this guy was not 3betting the flop with AK after I raise him on the flop despite his PF cap. I'm playing under a new name and there is basically no way he could have expected me to make such a fold there, therefore it seemed okay. I agree that it is dangerous to make a habit out of doing this, but in some cases it is a good way to save money or to extract value form UI AK. At least I think....

EDIT: also, why do you like doing this on Q94 better than on 944? Do you think that the Q keeps him more honest because he will expect mje to calldown with it, whereas on the 944 board I clearly repping a PP, and he might hope its a mid pp and therefore be more likely to take a shot at getting me to fold

admiralfluff 10-24-2007 01:31 AM

I agree it's definitely a valuable play, and that they key is he shouldn't expect you to be raise/folding here often (or be a mindless spazz).

I like the Q94 better because:

It is more likely to improve our range, and us raising here generally indicates a stronger range, so it will keep him more honest.

It weights is range away from hands like KQ and QJs that may be semibluffing preflop, and may b/3b some rag flops.

It prevents him from playing JJ-88 strongly, and we may get some of these hands to fold occasionally.

He may incorrectly fold a hand like AT.