Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Moral relativity (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544981)

tomdemaine 11-13-2007 07:51 AM

Moral relativity

Or E = Whatever the hell you want

Quick question (and yes this is a trap)

wtfsvi 11-13-2007 07:54 AM

Re: Moral relativity

I'll go with no.

MidGe 11-13-2007 07:57 AM

i'll go for no too. And that is because most (not all) christian systems are strongly biased in favor of a tyrannical approach to life.

InTheDark 11-13-2007 09:47 AM

Moral relativity is academic dogma. Good luck bucking a propaganda trend of that magnitude.

As foundational operating principles go, this one is the ultimate poison for western society as currently configured.

tomdemaine 11-13-2007 10:22 AM

If you chose no could you please post the objective external standard you use to tell if a system of morality is valid or not.

bobman0330 11-13-2007 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you chose no could you please post the objective external standard you use to tell if a system of morality is valid or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if there isn't one?

xorbie 11-13-2007 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if there isn't one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding.

Phil153 11-13-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There are multiple overlapping objective external standards which are to some extent weighed subjectively. There isn't just one.

wtfsvi 11-13-2007 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I chose no, but I never claimed I could tell if a system is morally valid or not. The only things I have to build my standard on is reason, logic and at the core the feelings about morality I have as a human being. When I chose no, it was because I think these feelings are not completely determined by culture.

mosdef 11-13-2007 10:39 AM

Don't you have to define "system of morality" for us here? If you define "system of morality" as "what you believe is right and wrong", then I do in fact think that they are all equally "valid". If you define "system of morality" as "what you believe you have the right to do to others on the basis of what you believe is right and wrong" then I do not think they are all equally "valid". This distinction is, I think, the most powerful and compelling argument that anarchists on this board make regularly.