Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   relationship between SAT scores and intelligence? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552308)

furyshade 11-22-2007 03:44 PM

relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

this has been long debated, im wondering the general opinion about corrolation between intelligence and SAT scores. i know there are many arguments that the SAT doesn't really cover material that is related to how intelligent someone is but it also seems that it couldn't be a coincidence that, and this is just from my personal experience, more intelligent people tend to do better on the test. also to simplify the matter lets limit intelligence to an academic context

Taraz 11-22-2007 04:54 PM

Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

Define intelligence first.

One would assume that there is some correlation between intelligence and SAT scores. With that said, the SAT tests a lot of very specific knowledge that I wouldn't consider "intelligence". I wouldn't say that knowing the vocabulary words or the shortcuts to solving some of the math problems means that you are smarter, it just means that you've had more education.

hitch1978 11-22-2007 05:25 PM

I don't know why we get so hung up on this, I know what furyshade is trying to say.

When I meet someone, after a very short time I can say, he's intelligent/dumb/super intelligent etc... Without defining what I mean one little bit, I am sure that over a correct sample size, the people I assigned to be super intelligent would outperform the people I assigned as intelligent etc... on average in these AND IQ tests.

I don't know how we can not atribute any significance to this correlation, for want of a unerversally agreeable definition of 'intelligent'.

It just doesn't seem, well, intelligent.

Philo 11-22-2007 05:47 PM

I scored a 180 on the LSAT. This should be ample proof for 2+2'ers that there is no significant correlation between standardized test scores and intelligence.

hitch1978 11-22-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I scored a 180 on the LSAT. This should be ample proof for 2+2'ers that there is no significant correlation between standardized test scores and intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can derive this from ONE result?

Maybe we should also define 'correlation'.

willie24 11-22-2007 06:19 PM

100% dependant on your definition of intelligence. there are many possible definitions and they are all arbitrary

willie24 11-22-2007 06:25 PM

one thing about the SAT: there are no hard problems on it. it is more about your "batting average" on easy problems than it is about mental depth.

vhawk01 11-22-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this has been long debated, im wondering the general opinion about corrolation between intelligence and SAT scores. i know there are many arguments that the SAT doesn't really cover material that is related to how intelligent someone is but it also seems that it couldn't be a coincidence that, and this is just from my personal experience, more intelligent people tend to do better on the test. also to simplify the matter lets limit intelligence to an academic context

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say its a direct correlation. No wait...inverse. No...direct. Definitely direct.

tame_deuces 11-22-2007 07:32 PM

If school results correlate with intelligence, then intelligence tests seriously need some work.

vhawk01 11-22-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If school results correlate with intelligence, then intelligence tests seriously need some work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think it should be a random relationship?