Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How was this hand won? Beginner PLO question. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533600)

Swallowtail 10-29-2007 01:41 AM

How was this hand won? Beginner PLO question.

Just started playing PLO, so please be kind if I'm asking a dumb question. Playing on Pokerstars and watched this hand take place. How did "mgolba" not win the hand with an A high flush?

PokerStars Game #12911812044: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2007/10/29 - 01:18:35 (ET)
Table 'Storeria' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Shrivel ($21.50 in chips)
Seat 2: BaggitNSTFU ($8.30 in chips)
Seat 4: mgolba ($15.90 in chips)
Seat 5: deviIbiss ($18.45 in chips)
Seat 6: vandampoker ($22 in chips)
mgolba: posts small blind $0.10
deviIbiss: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Shrivel [Tc 6s Ah Kh]
vandampoker: folds
Shrivel: folds
BaggitNSTFU: raises $0.60 to $0.85
Roothluss joins the table at seat #3
mgolba: raises $0.90 to $1.75
deviIbiss: folds
BaggitNSTFU: calls $0.90
*** FLOP *** [7c 7s 3c]
mgolba: bets $0.75
BaggitNSTFU: calls $0.75
*** TURN *** [7c 7s 3c] [6c]
mgolba: bets $1
BaggitNSTFU: raises $4.80 to $5.80 and is all-in
mgolba: calls $4.80
*** RIVER *** [7c 7s 3c 6c] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mgolba: shows [Ac As Ts 5s] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
BaggitNSTFU: shows [9h Qc Jc Qh] (a flush, Queen high)
BaggitNSTFU collected $16.05 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $16.85 | Rake $0.80
Board [7c 7s 3c 6c 9c]
Seat 1: Shrivel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: BaggitNSTFU (button) showed [9h Qc Jc Qh] and won ($16.05) with a flush, Queen high
Seat 4: mgolba (small blind) showed [Ac As Ts 5s] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 5: deviIbiss (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: vandampoker folded before Flop (didn't bet)

chucky 10-29-2007 01:43 AM

Re: How was this hand won? Beginner PLO question.

You need two hole cards to make a five card hand. two cards to make a flush/straight/fh etc.

Buzz 10-29-2007 01:45 AM

Swallowtail - You have to use exactly two cards from your own hand and exactly three cards from the board in Omaha.

Buzz

Swallowtail 10-29-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Swallowtail - You have to use exactly two cards from your own hand and exactly three cards from the board in Omaha.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes more sense then. Thank you - I did not know that. Boy do I feel like a newb...

pete fabrizio 10-29-2007 02:08 AM

this belongs in low content thread.

sqwisssssss 10-29-2007 02:43 AM

this belongs in the scary section.

op........i hope your not playing yet. just some friendly advice.......but you are welcome here. i think i'm welcome here......not sure.

Buzz 10-29-2007 02:54 AM

Hi Pete - Don't you want new players to understand the game?

The question is not low content at all to someone who wants to understand the game and who needs that question answered. It very definitely does not belong in the low content thread.

As an aside, it's a very common mistake in a real game to have a beginner think he has a flush when he doesn't, because he isn't using two cards from his own hand. I have seen some very intelligent excellent poker players make that very same mistake.

Please, if you don't want to answer a question, don't give an unhelpful answer. Just ignore the question. Please.

Thanks.

Buzz

OrrLives 10-29-2007 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As an aside, it's a very common mistake in a real game to have a beginner think he has a flush when he doesn't, because he isn't using two cards from his own hand. I have seen some very intelligent excellent poker players make that very same mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when I first started playing limit omaha high, I had XXX6s on a 4s5s7s8sX board. I thought I had the immortal nuts and it went to 4 bets on the turn and river. When the pot wasn't pushed to me, I felt like a total idiot.

Good thing it was only 0.50/1.00.

pete fabrizio 10-29-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pete - Don't you want new players to understand the game?

The question is not low content at all to someone who wants to understand the game and who needs that question answered. It very definitely does not belong in the low content thread.

Please, if you don't want to answer a question, don't give an unhelpful answer. Just ignore the question. Please.

Thanks.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure so-called "newbie" questions actually are supposed to go into the low content thread. I.e., ones that pretty much anyone can answer so they don't actually contribute to the forum. At least that's how it used to be. I wasn't trying to be snide.

Buzz 10-29-2007 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't trying to be snide.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Pete - Thank you. I appreciate that.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure so-called "newbie" questions actually are supposed to go into the low content thread. I.e., ones that pretty much anyone can answer so they don't actually contribute to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would newbie type questions belong in the low content thread? How would newbies know their questions belonged in the low content thread?

Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
At least that's how it used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. If so, it certainly hasn't been evident to me as I have read through the low content threads.

But whatever. It does not make sense to me to require newbies to post their questions in the "low content" thread.
Therefore if it ever was the policy for newbie questions to be posted in the low content thread in this forum, that no longer is the policy.

As moderator of this forum, I can move newbie type questions to the beginner's forum, and might do that in some cases. In this particular case I decided it would be nicer to simply answer Swallowtail's question.

Chucky responded nicely while I was formulating my reply. I answered without realizing Chucky had already done so. No big deal. And then Swallowtail thanked us. That should have been the end of the matter.

Let this be the end of it:<ul type="square">Newbie questions don't belong in the low content thread.[/list]Buzz, moderator