Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540823)

Zach Belden 11-07-2007 09:01 PM

*OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Whatever happened in the postseason, gotta say great season and great finish. They even replayed that game against the mets at the end of the four-game sweep and I watched the whole thing. Easily the best game of the year imo..

Anyway, so whats next for the phils? There have been a few minor transactions, Nunez and barajas were cut (barajas is gay)

As far as offseasons go, the phillies are never the best team to watch. However, this looks to be one of the best offseasons in a while.

Here are the things pat gillick could do that would give me a little chub:

trade for miguel cabrera or D-TRAIN (this would make me very happy)
sign mike lowell, mo rivera, a-rod (lol), re-sign aaron rowand, sign/trade for chad cordero

I am sure there other good players out there but this is just off the top of my head.

Regardless, the phils obv need to get stronger at 3rd base. If we did that, we'd have the sickest infield in baseball, easily. I'd like to sign a good reliever and hopefully move myers back to the rotation.

Also I read somewhere, the phils front office is ready to move the salary past the 100 million mark. Will be interesting to see what they do as lots of contracts are expiring or will be soon, and the payroll is only at 87 million right now.

anyway, I know im not the only philly homer here, discuss.

hoyasnaxa 11-07-2007 09:17 PM

Re: *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

I expect the Phillies to do very little. Gillick has said that 3rd base is not close to a priority. He said if he makes a trade, it will be for pitching, if they sign a free agent, it will be for pitching. In other words, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Go after Brian Fuentes, get Lohse signed, lets go phillies.

Zach Belden 11-07-2007 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I expect the Phillies to do very little. Gillick has said that 3rd base is not close to a priority. He said if he makes a trade, it will be for pitching, if they sign a free agent, it will be for pitching. In other words, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Go after Brian Fuentes, get Lohse signed, lets go phillies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard all offseason that they are looking to upgrade at third base. At least thats what they've said on Daily News Live. That comment surprises because why wouldnt they want to sign a third baseman? Rowand is most likely walking and who knows what kind of power burrel is going to produce. Our lineup could go from best in the NL to shtt next year if that happens... Regardless, I like fuentes and I would resing lohse, he has the potential i think to be a real solid 3rd or 4th guy.

Bremen 11-07-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard all offseason that they are looking to upgrade at third base.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gillick said 3B was not a priority at the start of the GM meetings. Of course it should be obvious we need pitching way more than 3B, however I think "not a priority" was more to let other GMs know we're not going to do anything silly to get one.

Anyway, I think there will be at least something going down this offseason. The club drew very well this year and the core of the team will be together for a few years so ownership should count on continuing to draw well. Which should mean loosening the purse strings a bit. 100 mil sounds about right, which given the money coming off the books gives us quite a bit to play with.

My game plan would be something along the lines of resigning Rowand (or another center fielder as there are a couple). Then use Victorino to trade for pitching help (imo he seems to be a bit overvalued). Using an outfield of Burrell/Bourn/Werth is acceptable but they better make a splash at 3B.

Card08 11-07-2007 11:41 PM

Phillies Get: Brad Lidge (RP) + Eric Bruntlett (SS/UTIL)
Astros Get: Michael Bourn (OF) + Geoff Geary (RP) + Mike Costanzo (? minor leaguer ?)

DemonDeac 11-07-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phillies Get: Brad Lidge (RP) + Eric Bruntlett (SS/UTIL)
Astros Get: Michael Bourn (OF) + Geoff Geary (RP) + Mike Costanzo (? minor leaguer ?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Costanzo is a 3rd baseman who can hit the absolute sh*t out of the ball.......but he strikes out like every other at bat.

He never progressed like the Phillies wanted.

If he ever fills to his potential, we could regret this move, but as of now its smart.

Bremen 11-07-2007 11:55 PM

I guess I like the trade. Costanza was our top 3B prospect (AA). IIRC the knock on him was that he struck out too much.

Bremen 11-08-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I think there will be at least something going down this offseason

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like I was right. Didn't expect anything so big so quick though.

AP is reporting Myers will be moved back to the rotation... NOOOO!!!!! They better sign a couple more good relievers.

hoyasnaxa 11-08-2007 12:08 AM

How do people not like this trade? I am so ridiculously happy about this.

Bremen 11-08-2007 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people not like this trade? I am so ridiculously happy about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I was hoping that Constanzo could be our 3B of the future to complete our mythical infield (edit: I know this was unlikely at best). Also Bourn was a heck of a young player to give up (although we didn't need him and Victorino so one had to go), I actually would have preferred trading Victorino since he was probably overrated imho.

Anyway, yes this is a very good trade for us and moreover shows that the organization definitely feels that the time is NOW! as they're giving up young pieces for a shot to win immediately.

Bremen 11-08-2007 12:47 AM

Well now. Now that one of our excess outfielders has been traded for pitching (exactly what I suggested I might add). It is time for a new plan. We have quite a bit of money coming off the books between Rowand/Lieber/Garcia, I propose using this freed up cash to pursue the phenom from Japan Hiroki Kuroda. Remember, Gillick was the GM who originally signed Ichiro.

hoyasnaxa 11-08-2007 02:12 AM

We should all notice that the GM on the other end of this deal was...................ED WADE. I have a very good feeling about this move.

.Alex. 11-08-2007 02:50 AM

Pretty good trade, but I'm more happy about the decision to move Myers back to the rotation.

Eurotrash 11-08-2007 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good trade, but I'm more happy about the decision to move Myers back to the rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree imo.

Zach Belden 11-08-2007 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! I am happy about this trade. However, that weird hex pujols put on lidge's career is disheartening... Decent ERA this year but last year was bad. Theres no doubt myers would be a better closer than him, but I think myers is just too talented to be a closer anyway imo, so we'll see. Top priority at this point is I think to resign rowand and/or lohse. That would be solid.

Zach Belden 11-08-2007 11:14 AM

Here's an interesting article about the phillies farm system. phuturephillies.com does an interview with Keith Law of espn.com on his opinion of the phils system.

http://phuturephillies.com/2007/10/1...ith-keith-law/

This is what he says about costanzo and golson (our first round pick from a few years ago).

[ QUOTE ]
9. Who will have the better career in the majors, Greg Golson or Mike Costanzo? Golson is still young and has shown flashes, but seems to have strikezone issues, while Costanzo has been inconsistent and struggles against lefties. Thoughts on the future for both guys?

I don’t see either as much of a big leaguer; Costanzo probably makes it but doesn’t stick, while Golson in all likelihood doesn’t make it at all. Costanzo’s a classic minor league slugger – big, complex swing, lousy weight transfer, just looking for fastballs and hanging breaking pitches he can crush. He’s pretty rough at third base as well – doesn’t look like he could play there in the majors, although defense is one thing that can really improve through instruction – and you’re looking at Klesko/Giambi defense if you put him in left.

Golson’s got great tools, but has no baseball instincts at all. There’s no physical reason why he shouldn’t be a good player, but he doesn’t do anything well – his swing is very long, his hands are a mess, he can’t adjust to breaking balls at all, and he gets bad reads in the outfield. The things that a ballplayer does on ability, like running and throwing, he does well, and he does have quick wrists, which is something you see in a lot of great hitters (Gary Sheffield being the obvious example). But until at the very least he learns to tell a fastball from an offspeed pitch, he’s not going to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, on espn.com in an article I believe he says that the phils really made out with this trade. Interesting to hear the take from a real baseball guy. Sounds encouraging.

Troll_Inc 11-08-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My game plan would be something along the lines of resigning Rowand (or another center fielder as there are a couple). Then use Victorino to trade for pitching help (imo he seems to be a bit overvalued). Using an outfield of Burrell/Bourn/Werth is acceptable but they better make a splash at 3B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think signing Rowand is more likely now, but probably still somewhat unlikely given his price tag.

If Phillies' management holds true to form, they'll let Rowand go and sign some 4 million dollar outfielder instead. Given the tiny outfield, this won't hurt them as much as it would in a real ball park.

.Alex. 11-08-2007 05:44 PM

I'd rather resign Lohse and Romero than throw a bunch of money at Rowand. As much as I love his defense and grit, I think he definitely overperformed last year (possibly because of the contract year) and is no more than a .290 20HR guy (still pretty good obviously).

If we can keep both of those guys, here's what we're looking at:

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Werth
Dobbs
Ruiz

Hamels
Myers
Kendrick
Lohse
Moyer

Madson
Romero
Gordon
Lidge

Then hopefully add either 3B or one more reliever, and we're in great shape.

hoyasnaxa 11-08-2007 06:05 PM

Get Brian Fuentes, somehow. Resign lohse and this team is money.

Bremen 11-08-2007 10:26 PM

I don't get why everyone is so high on Lohse. He's better than Eaton, but not so much that I'm willing to overpay for him.

hoyasnaxa 11-08-2007 10:47 PM

Im not high on him, but a 4.50 era would be what I expect from him, and he will eat some big time innings. If he was on the phillies all of last year he would have won 15 games easy.

Bremen 11-09-2007 12:23 AM

Re: Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Ok, I've heard it many times that the Phillies will be increasing payroll this year, probably to around 100mil. With that in mind here are their current obligations for
next year:

Pat Burrell - 14 million
Brett Myers - 8.5 million
Adam Eaton - 7.635 million
Chase Utley - 7.5 million
Jimmy Rollins - 7 million
Jamie Moyer - 5.5 million
Tom Gordon - 5.5 million
Wes Helms - 2.15 million
Julio Mateo - 1.5 million
Brad Lidge - 6 million*
Ryan Howard - 6 million*
Ryan Madson - 2.5 million*
Jayson Werth - 2.5 million*

* Estimated arbitration salaries

Everyone else is under the reserve clause and only Hamels is likely to get much above the minimum. So that totals about 80 mil (including all the guys making minimum or slightly more). Leaving us 20 million to play with still.

I propose first resigning Romero ~4 mil (reports are a multiyear deal is close). I then make an offer to Hiroki Kuroda. Reports are he is seeking 44/4. Yes Phillies fans this means relegating Adam Eaton to being the long man (awww). Reports are the budget may go as high as 105 so it may still be possible to sign a FA OF, depending on the market of course. If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.

hoyasnaxa 11-09-2007 01:11 AM

I dont know why, I do not want Romero back next year. He had a great year, I just dont think he could come close to doing it again. He has been a problem in every clubhouse hes ever been in, I dont know. Unfortunately the bullpen still needs a lot of help.

Bremen 11-09-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why, I do not want Romero back next year. He had a great year, I just dont think he could come close to doing it again. He has been a problem in every clubhouse hes ever been in, I dont know. Unfortunately the bullpen still needs a lot of help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard about the clubhouse issue, and apparently it wasn't a problem last year *shrug* I will agree that its not the end of the world if he doesn't come back.

PokerFink 11-09-2007 09:23 AM

hoyas,

Do you ever see the positive in anything?

Romero was, by far, our best reliever last year. If you don't want him back, who DO you want back?

Hoya 11-09-2007 10:41 AM

Romero was EXTREMELY lucky last year, and would be a horrible signing at something like 4/16. 2/6 I'll take, but much more than that is a bad investment.

AbreuTime 11-09-2007 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why it's a must. I think Victorino and Werth are extremely capable of playing every day, and worth it for their salary. I think money would be better spent at 3B or for pitching (probably taking on salary via trade, since FA SPs are slim pickings).

Hoya 11-09-2007 11:33 AM

Werth is better against lefties, so I'd like to pair him with someone like Geoff Jenkins. Fine with Vic in CF though.

Zach Belden 11-09-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I propose first resigning Romero ~4 mil (reports are a multiyear deal is close). I then make an offer to Hiroki Kuroda. Reports are he is seeking 44/4. Yes Phillies fans this means relegating Adam Eaton to being the long man (awww). Reports are the budget may go as high as 105 so it may still be possible to sign a FA OF, depending on the market of course. If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i'd be happy with that japanese pitcher, or that reliever (forget his name) but theres no WAY we get torii hunter. The guy already makes 10 mil a year and wants more. The guy is a perennial gold glover who can hit for decent power. Best bet I think is to sign rowand to about a 4/36-40 type contract. His agent said theres no need to break the bank, we just need to make a good offer.

Bremen 11-09-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i'd be happy with that japanese pitcher, or that reliever (forget his name) but theres no WAY we get torii hunter. The guy already makes 10 mil a year and wants more. The guy is a perennial gold glover who can hit for decent power. Best bet I think is to sign rowand to about a 4/36-40 type contract. His agent said theres no need to break the bank, we just need to make a good offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read my analysis of how much cash we have to play with? We have about 20 mil to play with, this should be enough to get Hunter. Also I heard Rowand was looking for more like 50/4 (public comments to the contrary). Anyway, I agree Victorino/Werth are more than adequate if we manage to upgrade the pitching; hence I still maintain Hiruki should be our top goal.

Bremen 11-09-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think money would be better spent at 3B or for pitching (probably taking on salary via trade

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard a trade for the O's 3B, Mora is a possibility. They're apparently looking to dump salary and willing to take back Helms in a deal.

AbreuTime 11-09-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think money would be better spent at 3B or for pitching (probably taking on salary via trade

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard a trade for the O's 3B, Mora is a possibility. They're apparently looking to dump salary and willing to take back Helms in a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not too familiar with Mora and how he would project in CBP, but if they're willing to take Helms then it can't be too bad. I just hope we don't overpay on a long-term deal for a guy entering his decline years, like Lowell/A. Jones, and it looks like we won't.

Hoya 11-09-2007 03:02 PM

At this point I'd just add Kuroda and Jenkins and call it a day - it looks like Romero is already a done deal.

Zach Belden 11-09-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not too familiar with Mora and how he would project in CBP, but if they're willing to take Helms then it can't be too bad. I just hope we don't overpay on a long-term deal for a guy entering his decline years, like Lowell/A. Jones, and it looks like we won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least mora is an established major league hitter. Helms is not and has only had more than 300 ABs in a year once like 5 years ago. I wouldn't mind taking mora in a trade because even though hes 35 years old, he probably only has one or two years left on his contract. True, even though I would like lowell playing here, he probably wants too big a contract for how old he is.

Last offseason was horrible. Imagine what this team could do with a few more productive players added in a few spots.

Spellmen 11-09-2007 04:00 PM

I'd really love if they signed Rowand. I don't want into getting into all the true-whatever crap, but this guy is awesome

What would it take to sign Lowell? I agree breaking the bank would be terrible. His stats took a pretty big jump last year, so he'll most likely drop closer to his 06 stats and start declining, but he'd still be really nice if they can sign him to something reasonable

Either way...Vic, Rollins, Utley, Howard, Burrell/3rd basemen who can actually hit would be great

Spellmen 11-09-2007 04:03 PM

For those talking about a deal with Lohse getting close, where does this leave Eaton? At 8 mil/yr they've got to do something with him, but if Lohse gets signed I assume the rotation would look something like this, but have no idea how the 4/5 spots would go

Hamels, Meyers, Kendrick, Moyer/Lohse/Eaton

.Alex. 11-09-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those talking about a deal with Lohse getting close, where does this leave Eaton? At 8 mil/yr they've got to do something with him, but if Lohse gets signed I assume the rotation would look something like this, but have no idea how the 4/5 spots would go

Hamels, Meyers, Kendrick, Moyer/Lohse/Eaton

[/ QUOTE ]
If we sign Lohse or another starter, there's no way they would start Eaton over any of them. I'm guessing they stash him in the bullpen until inevitably someone gets hurt, as they did with Lieber last year.

Bdidd 11-09-2007 04:25 PM

MEMO to Jimmy Rollins: The best team won. Yes, it's still the dog days of August and the Mets have to travel to beautiful Philadelphia tomorrow, but the NL East race is over. Though the Yankees are fighting for their playoff souls, the Mets are merrily on their way to another October. This really wasn't much of a race. Despite all the Mets problems, despite the fact they left the door wide open in the division, the Phillies and Braves have not been able to step through the portal. So at 6:47 last night when Aaron Heilman got Luis Gonzalez to bounce into a 1-6-3 double play to give the Mets a 4-3 win over the Dodgers at sweaty Shea Stadium, the NL East race came to a close.
New York Post August 26, 2007

Even though the Mets choked like Mama Cass on a ham sandwich, this quote still puts me on mega-triple life tilt.

AbreuTime 11-09-2007 06:00 PM

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...007-loduca.wmv

hoyasnaxa 11-09-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hoyas,

Do you ever see the positive in anything?

Romero was, by far, our best reliever last year. If you don't want him back, who DO you want back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, he was the PHILLIES best RELIEVER last year. Which is saying nothing at all. He was really lucky, and has had problems with attitude every other place he has played. I really liked him last year, and liked his attitude a lot, I just think hes getting overpaid.

Sorry I dont think that McNabb is good (hes not) and didnt pick the Eagles to win the NFC (they suck).