Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   saving money vs set (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549150)

DickieBets 11-18-2007 06:31 PM

saving money vs set

When he min raised me on flop - I figured I was beat - what is the best course of action to tell for sure? I don't like calling because I don't really learn anything - but maybe I'm wrong. I figured betting out and folding to a push but if he calls then I'm not sure what to do. What's a good amount to bet, assuming that's the correct line?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $61.50
BB: $4.65
Hero (UTG): $29.65
BTN: $25

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, BTN calls $1, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4</font>, <font color="red">Hero ???</font>

DickieBets 11-18-2007 06:32 PM

Re: saving money vs set

I forgot to mention button was 37/19/2.5 but really hadn't gotten out of line against me previous to this - so I didn't think he was pulling a move.

iheartponeez 11-18-2007 06:35 PM

On something like this, a dry flop, I sometimes spite-call the minbet and try to spike 2 pair, but really with KQ I would get out, you really only beat KJ here. With AK, I call the minraise, lead the turn, and fold if I get raised again.

Schiester 11-18-2007 06:35 PM

This is where you 3bet or fold. I like fold with no reads. If he's aggro on the flop/button a raise is fine. If he's passive; all that much easier to turf.

Very read dependant. Without reads I'm happy to fold here.

Schiester 11-18-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention button was 37/19/2.5 but really hadn't gotten out of line against me previous to this - so I didn't think he was pulling a move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy raise imo then. AF of 2.5 with a VPIP of 37 means he's bluffing/semibluffing a reasonable amount of the time.

stu-unger 11-18-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where you 3bet or fold. I like fold with no reads. If he's aggro on the flop/button a raise is fine. If he's passive; all that much easier to turf.

Very read dependant. Without reads I'm happy to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

losingdonkey 11-18-2007 06:44 PM

depends on how often you see him doing this. some players will do this with only a big hand, others will do it with just about any piece or air once they notice you c-betting. against this type of opponent I like to call and re-evaluate on the turn.

shark_fishin 11-18-2007 06:47 PM

i like call and evaluate turn, i even dont mind a turn call unless hes potting it, and a fold on river if he tripple barrels as he wont be tripple barreling with something worse imo.

ClutchCity 11-18-2007 06:52 PM

What's that? Set!? Don't talk about a set! You kiddin me? A set!? (Jim Mora impression)

I think you give way too much credit. Why does it gotta be a set? Doesn't this guy re-raise with a PP PF when his PFR = 19 when it's 4-ways? Totally forgetting about the stats, there's a whole bunch of stuff he mins with.

I believe a min raise is weak, so I just raise it right back with authority. There's so many hands he could have here, you gotta raise to see where you're at. I'll spite-call the min also on more dangerous boards where the odds are great but not here. Re-raise the dumb minner.

Schiester 11-18-2007 06:52 PM

I see what you mean but this line seems to get me into big hands. This is pretty much my favourite line with a set because people seem to feel committed to a hand with top pair / two pair after you've put some money in on the turn.

A raise based on the suspicion this player is fooling often enough ensures he doesn't get a free turn card and lets us know we're behind.

In position I'm happy to take your line.