Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   kerpowski's minraise open (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352795)

king_of_drafts 03-11-2007 10:48 PM

kerpowski\'s minraise open

Kerpowski (good regular on Stars) always opens to $20 on Stars 5/10. Why does he do this? I haven't had much trouble with it, but it has made for some unique spots. Maybe that's why, since many regs play somewhat formulaically, they don't know wtf to do when something slightly out of the ordinary arises (and often compensate incorrectly). Thoughtz?

jsnipes28 03-11-2007 10:51 PM

Re: kerpowski\'s minraise open

I think this type of stuff is bad to post on the forum. Hands, even against specific opponents are fine but posts where it ends up being the forum as whole ganging up to exploit a single person's game is just a bit unethical IMO.

I doubt you really meant too much by posting it, I just think it's something that isn't what this forum is designed to discuss.

If you want to discuss another reg's tendencies or strategy on AIM with someone else that's fine but I think that this thread should be killed.

MDMA 03-11-2007 10:56 PM

I don't think this is out of line at all, as long as you don't target kerp specifically, which to my knowledge he isnt, except for the fact that he is currently the one doing it.

He's just basically asking "thoughts on the whole idea of minraising preflop pretty much all the time?"

king_of_drafts 03-11-2007 11:01 PM

I included his name just to validate the strategy somewhat. I see where you are coming from and on second thought I probably should've made it an anonymous good reg, but now that it's already here we might as well discuss it, I don't think it will hurt him that much if at all.

But whatev, I haven't posted here very long so if I'm wrong on etiquette it's np.

good2cu 03-11-2007 11:01 PM

Post would be fine without the name.

king_of_drafts 03-11-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is out of line at all, as long as you don't target kerp specifically, which to my knowledge he isnt, except for the fact that he is currently the one doing it.

He's just basically asking "thoughts on the whole idea of minraising preflop pretty much all the time?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. I can repost in a week or so if people would feel more comfortable with this.

DJ Sensei 03-11-2007 11:51 PM

presumably anybody who adopts such a strategy is looking to take advantage of the fact that he's a superior player when the stacksize to pot ratio on the flop is bigger.

xorbie 03-11-2007 11:52 PM

makes for good 4betting

king_of_drafts 03-11-2007 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
makes for good 4betting

[/ QUOTE ]

As I quickly discovered

JaBlue 03-11-2007 11:55 PM

One might minraise preflop in order to play more pots postflop, assuming feels one plays better postflop than most. If opening to 2bb with 100bb stack, a reasonable 3-bet is probably 6 or 7bb which is much more callable with hands like small pairs than a 3-bet of a 3bb raise to 10-12bb or a 3-bet of a 4bb raise to 12-14bb. The 3-bettor typically has a much more defined handrange than the opener so one consequence of the minraise open is that it may allow the opener to read hands better than his opponent in a re-raised pot. A smaller open also allows one to open more hands, again to play more pots postflop.

Disadvantage is offering better implied and real odds to everyone else to call preflop, which becomes a bigger problem as the opening range becomes tighter.

Another reason to consider opening with a minimum raise is if it may throw other players off.

When performed with a "normal" opening range, the minraise open should not affect hand reading at all.