Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Final vB Testing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557215)

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:34 PM

Re: Final vB Testing

[ QUOTE ]
will i be able to retain my quasi-mod (non-green) status? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd thought about this. We should be able to get something set up within the first couple days.

EMc 11-29-2007 05:34 PM

Wait how does I flex my banstick. Im in hte CP but dont see an option

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:36 PM

I'll enable it for you. Should be on shortly.

Eurotrash 11-29-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
will i be able to retain my quasi-mod (non-green) status? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd thought about this. We should be able to get something set up within the first couple days.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet, yo. thanks much.

btw if you could give me banhammer ability while preserving my ninja-mod status that'd be cool too. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait how does I flex my banstick. Im in hte CP but dont see an option

[/ QUOTE ]

you can flex it all you want (just dont get your keyboard dirty), but I think we will be banning much less and infracting more with the exception of one touch ban & clean

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:42 PM

I think I found a bug - when we switch to the mobi skin there doesnt seem to be a way to switch back. I feel like I am stuck in emacs. How do I fix this?

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:43 PM

also in mobi there are no thread moderation tools.

EMc 11-29-2007 05:44 PM

TT,

I was on my mobile before on with the mobile skin and am on a normal skin now.

I was just wondering about the ban stick. Ive banned like 3 people.

ama0330 11-29-2007 05:45 PM

edit: completely ignore me.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just 100 points equals what amounts to an admin permanent ban. How those points are given is up to each mod, but generally they should be given for posts made in a mod's forum.

Rather than make it all too specific ahead of time I'd rather leave it really loose and refine things slowly over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do I give out a tempban? Or are we doing away with them in favor of a 100-strikes-and-you're-out system? Sometimes it's really useful to give posters a 1-24 hour time out, even if you want to do away with the 3-5 day tempbans.

*TT* 11-29-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

I was on my mobile before on with the mobile skin and am on a normal skin now.

[/ QUOTE ] today? how did you do it?

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering about the ban stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have around 35 teh ghay jokes I thought of within seconds of reading this.

ama0330 11-29-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have profile editing powers. Is this standard?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I found a bug - when we switch to the mobi skin there doesnt seem to be a way to switch back. I feel like I am stuck in emacs. How do I fix this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't switch to it on your PC. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually this is something I hate. the mobi style has to be user selectable for the auto switching to work. There are a couple ways to get back, mostly with the back button. I was actually interested to see how people today would solve this. Another link will probably be added to it.

Mobi does have a lot of mod abilities. Was impressed by that. It's going to be possible for people with smartphones to deal with posts anywhere if they want for the first time. It's not easy enough to navigate 2+2 from a phone right now to do anything, so whatever here is a bonus to me. Aside from the default, mobi is also the only style used that was created by others. We'll have to tweak it a bit more. Open to color suggestions too.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have profile editing powers. Is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll enable yours now too. As mentioned above, though, mods wont be able to edit much on profiles because of the way vB separates powers.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:17 PM

For those interested in some other nice stuff that's coming soon with vBulletin, you can read about 3.7 here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1450763

Last major release before they devote most of their time to version 4.

ama0330 11-29-2007 06:17 PM

I think this looks really good. 1 thing:

When you infract someone, can the rest of the forum see it? The *** system in OOT was cool because you could automatically see who was a retard, and there seems to be no way of designating this now (cant change custom titles etc). It would be nice to be able to make some system of public punishment/humilitation available.

Also, I am going to have a field day with the "annoucement" feature. That is AWESOME.

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:20 PM

The find IP addresses by user feature is worth the switch alone to determine if new users are existing problems returning to 2+2. I just discovered that BluffThis never cheated on his bet against PokerBob (and had only one gimick account surprisingly called gimmick which was nuked), and PokerBob had a gimmick account called "The_MPC" which was also nuked. PB has a lot of IP addresses so I didn't search them all. The only downside of this system is it doesn't log the dates used by the IP address. Also i noticed RT and PB had the same IP address at one time, perhaps they spent the night together in MN? Scandal!

Of course I'm joking around a bit, this tool will come in handy for legitimate reasons.

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:26 PM

infractions have a time limit, is that the temp-ban feature or do the infractions actually expire?

ama0330 11-29-2007 06:28 PM

How does the thread rating system work? I assume that it is a weighted average as I voted and it didnt come up, but how many people have to vote on it before it shows?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:35 PM

Infaction points can be set to expire eventually or left permanent. This is all stuff you guys can decide at the time for now.

orange 11-29-2007 06:40 PM

ugh i dont like the new forums. is there an option for us to view the older version (these current ones) on the new forums as a new default setting?

ama0330 11-29-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh i dont like the new forums. is there an option for us to view the older version (these current ones) on the new forums as a new default setting?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding dude, I think they are sick... you mean you dont like the look, or the functionality?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding dude, I think they are sick... you mean you dont like the look, or the functionality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, please be specfic with these types of comments because we still have time to make tweaks beforehand. For instance it's now much easier to back out of the mobile style if you selected it from a PC.

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance it's now much easier to back out of the mobile style if you selected it from a PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i was in Emacs hell for a while.

orange 11-29-2007 06:57 PM

I don't know, these forums here seem like home. I guess its just personal preference, but the other ones look a bit cluttered. I like the simple outline that these ubb forums have. just pisses me off.

*TT* 11-29-2007 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, these forums here seem like home. I guess its just personal preference, but the other ones look a bit cluttered. I like the simple outline that these ubb forums have. just pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

change your skin.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 06:59 PM

Infractions aren't displayed to everyone at the moment. Certain things like point level could be added to the postbit (avatar, location, etc), but it creates an extra check for the system to perform on each.

[ QUOTE ]
How does the thread rating system work? I assume that it is a weighted average as I voted and it didnt come up, but how many people have to vote on it before it shows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now it's 2 votes before it shows.

orange 11-29-2007 06:59 PM

alright i found a skin on the new forums that remind me of these, i suppose its not all bad. still like these forums more. will give this new vbb a chance though.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cluttered.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you guys think about the cards up top? I think they may contribute to this somewhat. You have the banner, forums, both side columns, and the cards all converging in that area your eyes see first.

Maybe they should be a bit smaller?

MrWookie 11-29-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Infaction points can be set to expire eventually or left permanent. This is all stuff you guys can decide at the time for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my question is, does anything happen before 100 points of infractions? Are there any lesser bans at lower levels currently?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 07:06 PM

Nope, nothing automatic except the 100 point permanent ban.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 07:52 PM

And if we award someone 100 points that we set to expire in 3 days, they'll still be permabanned, or will they be unbanned after 3 days? If it's the former, I think we need to improve that. If all the mods can do is give either a glorified warning PM or a permaban, that's pretty restrictive as to what we can do as mods to help get problem posters back in line.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 07:56 PM

Making auto temp ban levels and set infraction types restricts you more, whereas this is just giving you something extra and new. We've all functioned without a system like this for some time. Changing everything straight away because we have the feature wouldn't be the best way to go. It would be a lot for users to get used to as well.

The points can expire, and resulting bans are treated separately. So a permanent ban would still be so after the points expire, yes. For now infractions should be thought of as a tracked warning system, not what we use for bans in most cases.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 08:11 PM

Yeah, the auto temp ban levels are restrictions, but I can't help but feel like my banstick has been replaced by a foam bat and an executioner's ax. The foam bat doesn't do much, except it turns into an ax if I hit someone with it enough. Can we at least have temp bans at certain infraction levels w/o the set infraction points for major/minor/etc infractions? That lets us pick between a foam bat, a leather belt, a baseball bat, and the ax.

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 08:16 PM

You can do temp bans without the infraction system. That's the way we keep things consistent with how they've been. Point totals and number of infractions can be used as a consideration when deciding length and such.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 08:20 PM

Oh, ok. I guess I hadn't played with that on the first test server, thinking that the infraction system was going to be the only system. Can you promote me to full mod powers so I can test it out?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 08:26 PM

Sure, you should have ban powers now.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 08:28 PM

Ah, ok. Thanks. I'll miss my micro-bans, but I can live w/o them. The rest should be fine.

durron597 11-29-2007 08:41 PM

I see in the vBulletin documentation that there is a CSS editor available... is there any way for me to have access to it?

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 08:48 PM

Not without being an admin. We can discuss more about this later, as I think I have a solution for mods who would like to try developing styles for vB.

I will say, though, that at the top of my list for any new styles is a dark skin. I don't know that it would be a direct port, but it should be done by one of us sooner than later.