Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Limit-->NL (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Official Limit-->NL Forum No Content Thread! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465540)

MrWookie 07-31-2007 01:28 PM

Official Limit-->NL Forum No Content Thread!

This is the designate location for beats, brags, and banter. Enjoy!

WordWhiz 07-31-2007 01:46 PM

Re: Official Limit-->NL Forum No Content Thread!

I played limit for over a year (at least 250k hands) before moving to SNG's and now NL. I'm doing much better now at NL than I ever did at limit, but only after 60k hands of breaking even. I'll probably be posting here a fair amount to try to help others make the transition faster than I did.

jstill 07-31-2007 01:49 PM

Im doing pretty well so far in NL but Im pumped about this forum...

any chance we could prode a few NL regulars/ mods into putting some extra attention into this forum to give credible responses and perhaps in a bit more length than maybe they do in their regular responses just to help us noobs along. Sorta like guest coaches in the session reviews have guest thread repliers i duno...

KitCloudkicker 07-31-2007 01:56 PM

fwiw i am pretty good at limit but im so godawful at nl it makes baby jesus cry [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

diebitter 07-31-2007 01:57 PM

I'm a NL player that's recently rediscovered Limit. Am I swimming against the tide or what?

Tryptamean 07-31-2007 02:06 PM

Glad to see this is here for now. Now I just need to get motivated to put in some hands.

In my few NL sessions, I found it kind of difficult to take 50 or 100nl very seriously. I just keep focusing too much on the small size of the blinds, rather than stacks.

sethypooh21 07-31-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a NL player that's recently rediscovered Limit. Am I swimming against the tide or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, just wising up [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

hra146 07-31-2007 02:24 PM

WTF is this forum serious?

w-o-w

KurtSF 07-31-2007 02:42 PM

Successfully made the transition and I'm willing to help others do the same.

veganmav 07-31-2007 03:19 PM

cool, i'm ready to do this

nichtsnutz 07-31-2007 03:39 PM

This just in: $10NL most likely beatable.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5295/nlgraphzi9.jpg

Alobar 07-31-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw i am pretty good at limit but im so godawful at nl it makes baby jesus cry [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

kaby 07-31-2007 04:56 PM

2/4&3/6 6max => NL50 6max

googog

I'm at 7.5PTBB/100 for my first 15k hands, clearly sustainable

My limited impression suggests that you actually have to fold top pair or better sometimes, but once you learn that outplaying the weaktighties isn't exactly hard.

yellowbluebus 07-31-2007 05:06 PM

I started out my bankroll at limit micros from $30 to $1200 all thanks to MrWookie, bennyhana, milesdyson, Buzz, bozlax, and all the other regular's input. I withdrew most of my roll and started back at NL in March after taking a 6 month break from poker. MrWookie, what stakes are you playing now in NL?

MrWookie 07-31-2007 05:40 PM

I haven't played NL seriously in a while, actually. Back before the Fristing, I was playing 100 NL and dabbling in 200 NL. From October to March, though, my poker playing, all of it, dropped off considerably due to real life and lowered enthusiasm to play due to the uncertainty of ever being able to get my winning off. In March, I got back into things. I played a little 100 NL, and in my first 1k hands or so, I made a few obvious and costly mistakes. At that point, I decided I'd stick with limit while I got back into poker. I never was all that good at NL, so I figured I'd stick with what I knew best while I rebuilt my roll and such. Now I'm back to feeling more comfortable w/ poker in general, and armed with PNL, I'm more confident about my NL play and understanding. I'll be starting out in 100 NL, but I'll be looking to move up to 200 NL when, say, I go up 20 buyins or play 5k hands, which ever comes 2nd.

jstill 07-31-2007 05:46 PM

least favorite hand so far in NL, not perfect perfect but up there. 2nd day on stars first pot of the day I get my stack in...

hero raises 77 utg in six max, villain calls in bb

flop 743
villain cks, hero bets 7 into 8ish, villain calls

turn 2
villain min cr's a pot bet, hero shoves, villain calls

hero says "please dont have 65... pair the board"

river 2
hero says " please dont have 22"

villain flips up 22 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I hate not seeing the other players cards in NL til after the river.

aside from that; middle set vs top set on non straightening non mono boards esp when villain doesnt 3bet QQ+ pre and the flop is Q73 K73 A73 and u have 77 blehhh never see that comin, KK vs AA sucks cuz u always know they have it when its for full stacks and theyre not an idiot, 2 card K hi flush vs A hi flush on non paired board just happened to me like an hour ago... all these coolers suck but they all even out supposedly but...

gettin all the money in when they have 1 out and spike it after u were a 95%+ favorite off the flop is just lame.

MrWookie 07-31-2007 05:51 PM

Fillmaff'd

kaby 07-31-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate not seeing the other players cards in NL til after the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it might be for our own good. I find being less able to root for certain cards to come helps to not get tilted/not care about the results.

There's a difference between 'PAIR THE BOARD PAIR THE BOARD I NEED IT HE HAS 65' and 'wow, this is boring because i can't see his cards i'm not going to waste like 7 seconds waiting for the turn/river/sd animations ... oh hey action on another table ... oh wait i have to refill guess i lost the allin ... ah well'

The second is my thought process (well, most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), the first is what I think my thought process will be when they turn over the cards when allin.

geormiet 07-31-2007 07:23 PM

Hey guys

I'm not sure if my thread in mhsh was the impetus for starting this forum, but I am winning at limit again and found a site that actually has games!

Should I still think about learning NL? Where should I start? What limits should I play? Is stars a decent place to play? I am pretty risk averse, especially in a game where I don't know that I am a favorite.

gharp 07-31-2007 07:39 PM

Where was this forum a year ago!?

I played Limit from Feb. 2005-mid-2006 up to 3/6 and 5/10 -- neighborhood of 60k hands. Then I switched over to NL and haven't gone back. I did pretty well at NL50, 100 and 200 but I'm getting worked over at NL400 (over a small 4k sample, but still).

Anyway, I'll probably make this my new strat forum home for a while, so see you around...

*TT* 07-31-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just in: $10NL most likely beatable

[/ QUOTE ]

If that grab was really from $10nl then I am in awe.

I humbly submit myself to newbie status, lets play NL!

MrWookie 07-31-2007 07:54 PM

Good to see you again, gharp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

john voight 07-31-2007 08:10 PM

I went NL----> limit to clear a boni on stars.
basically, clearing @ NL25 takes forever, and clearing at 1/2 is much more efficient.

Well, it was amazing how well I adjusted. I mean in NL, I am constantly in the situation where I am "he dosnt have it, but I'm to chicken to call". Well in limit, that was not the case. I was making great reads, and playing very well.

I guess this is a brag (that i didnt suck at lim). I dont really play limit, unless I am tilting and feel like capping each street or clearing a slow boni.

Jigsaws 07-31-2007 11:03 PM

It might help to make a post in the various NL no content threads that this forum exists. I only randomly wandered across it in the sidebar.

Tryptamean 07-31-2007 11:32 PM

Here is an example of how bad us limidonks can suck (or maybe just myself)...

I treated this hand just like a limit blind battle.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($59.90)
MP3 ($176.90)
CO ($63)
Button ($104.15)
SB ($95.90)
Hero ($143.75)
UTG ($106.85)
UTG+1 ($136.30)
MP1 ($100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3.

Flop: ($8) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($32) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $14</font>, Hero calls $14.

River: ($60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

Final Pot: $100

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has As Ac (one pair, aces).
Hero has Kd 8c (one pair, eights).
Outcome: SB wins $100. </font>

EMc 08-01-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me how to actually play all them weird games and I can teach you some NL.

sethypooh21 08-01-2007 02:40 AM

This NL thing ain't half bad...

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6117/nl200nt0.jpg

Gib 08-01-2007 02:53 AM

ruh-roh,

quick make one more $

nickg1532 08-01-2007 04:44 AM

wtf i hate NL so much. i can beat 50NL at a pretty good rate, but i'm god awful at 100NL. the games can't be that much different can they?

nickg1532 08-01-2007 04:53 AM

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($199.75)
BB ($48.95)
UTG ($108.15)
MP ($24.50)
CO ($156.45)
Button ($43.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($9) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($9) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $9

Hero has Jd Td (two pair, tens and eights).
CO has Js Ks (flush, ace high).
Outcome: CO wins $9. </font>

OziBattler 08-01-2007 05:37 AM

Wookie (or anyone else in the know), when the someone else gets control of the playground what will become of the posts here?

Im sure that there will be quite a few of us limidonks who might not be transitioning now but will want this stuff available for reading at a later date.

sethypooh21 08-01-2007 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ruh-roh,

quick make one more $

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH

Bilgefisher 08-01-2007 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wookie (or anyone else in the know), when the someone else gets control of the playground what will become of the posts here?

Im sure that there will be quite a few of us limidonks who might not be transitioning now but will want this stuff available for reading at a later date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck I think this forum is turning out pretty well. I wouldn't mind seeing it become a permanent thing even if the traffic becomes low.

4_2_it 08-01-2007 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be moved to another forum. I wouldn't worry about them being deleted or lost.

Blue Lagoon 08-01-2007 09:35 AM

This forum is a good idea, I will certainly try to play more deepstack NL.

I just played a little short and medium stacks NL and I thought, why don't you switch, why don't you switch...

strategery 08-01-2007 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, T.
2 folds, CO raises to $4, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.50, 1 fold.

Flop: ($9) T, 4, A (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($9) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($9) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $9

Results in white below:
Hero has Jd Td (two pair, tens and eights).
CO has Js Ks (flush, ace high).
Outcome: CO wins $9.

[/ QUOTE ]

was villain Jennifer Tilly?

KingOtter 08-02-2007 04:57 PM

I saw the announcements in micros for this and thought I'd pop over... think I'll go play some NL!

*TT* 08-02-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me how to actually play all them weird games and I can teach you some NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait in line with 4_2_it, or we can do a few conference 3-ways. Reciprocal coaching.... nice! What games do you want to learn? Did you read this - Matt Flynn's Badugi article in the new 2+2 Magazine

BigPoppa 08-02-2007 06:39 PM

Hiya

I was a long time limit player with several hundred thousand hands of FR on Party and Pokerroom up to $5/10 and another several hundred thousand of 6max up to $3/6 (mostly on Absolute).

I switched to NL about a year and a half ago and found I had a lot of habits to unlearn. The biggest was calling on the River when likely beat. In Limit you're usually getting 7:1 odds or better, so calling is correct with any piece of the board. In NL, the odds are often closer to 2:1/3:1 and it's almost always correct to fold a marginal hand.

I stopped playing around December while I lived in Asia with crappy internet and just started up again. I play a mix of FR and 6max, with some donkaments thrown in.

I'll try to help out on posts when I have something to contribute. There are definitely better players around, but my advice usually doesn't suck.

sethypooh21 08-03-2007 02:28 AM

Jezus, what a beautiful turn card...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($448.60)
UTG ($588.60)
MP ($579.60)
Button ($56)
SB ($93.85)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, MP calls $8, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $7, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($32) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, MP folds, SB folds, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($72) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $125</font>, UTG calls $85.

River: ($322) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $295.6 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $295.60.

Final Pot: $913.20

Hero has 7d 7h (full house, sevens full of aces).
UTG has Kh Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $913.20. </font>

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5387/heathg0.jpg