Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Energy drinks (red bull) before jogging. Good idea? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543555)

zasterguava 11-11-2007 11:43 AM

Energy drinks (red bull) before jogging. Good idea?

I had a red bull tonight and for the first time in a while it made me motivated to go on a jog which I enjoyed and didn't get cramp or stich- which is rare. Are drinks like Red Bull or Lucozade good for taking before exercise or over the long-term is it a bad idea? Ive heard contrasting opinions and its hard to find an unbias answer from websites.

Thanks

DLKeeper1 11-11-2007 12:53 PM

Re: Energy drinks (red bull) before jogging. Good idea?

it's a bad idea afaik...caffeine raises your heart rate, and so does exercise...so your heart rate could reach unhealthily high levels if you combine the two

cbloom 11-11-2007 01:10 PM

It's not a terrible idea but not great either. A whole red bull is an awful lot of sugar, so your energy is going to crash after a short time, and it's adding a lot of calories, so you have to burn even more. If you really want to do it, you should be doing hard sprints and then make sure you eat something good postworkout.

It would be way better to have a more balanced carbohydrate about 30-60 minutes before running (like oats or fruit). Getting some caffeine is perfectly fine (assuming your heart is normal and healthy and you're not on ephedra or anything like that) and is the #1 most effective performance enhancing drug.

SmileyEH 11-11-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a bad idea afaik...caffeine raises your heart rate, and so does exercise...so your heart rate could reach unhealthily high levels if you combine the two

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, no.

LocustHorde 11-11-2007 06:25 PM

coffee or SF Redbull would be better

Blarg 11-11-2007 06:30 PM

I find coffee is okay for a short burst of energy, but bad for long-term endurance and for things requiring really testing yourself at high levels of coordination, especially if you have to do it for long. It's effect on me, anyway, is very much a dumb, brute-force, short-term increase in energy that definitely takes away some fine detail I already have going. If you want to do a half hour of lifting couches, fine, but if you want to run for hours, do complex drills, or do some light sparring against a really slick opponent, you're better off without it.

Wolfram 11-11-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to do a half hour of lifting couches

[/ QUOTE ]
You lift couches? Plz explain.

zasterguava 11-11-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, doesn't red bull decrease heart rate?

zasterguava 11-11-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
coffee or SF Redbull would be better

[/ QUOTE ]
Whats SF Red bull? Google only gets up a load of wesites on San Francisco race.

SmileyEH 11-11-2007 09:31 PM

FWIW I had a caffeine pill before our rugby game yesterday and it definitely helped. I was also up at 7am and running on 5 hours sleep so I was already a little groggy. Felt focused and with more energy-the kind you don't really get until someone hits you hard or vice versa.