Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tuxedo cumberbund...do you have to wear this? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402996)

AZK 05-14-2007 04:38 PM

Tuxedo cumberbund...do you have to wear this?

I have a black tie event and had to rent a tux, I went classic style, black tux, white shirt, black bow-tie. Do I need to wear the cumberbund that comes with it? not such a fan. If I decide not to do I need to get suspenders instead or something to not look retarded?

guids 05-14-2007 04:40 PM

Re: Tuxedo cumberbund...do you have to wear this?

no need for suspenders or a cummerbund. in fact def dont wear suspenders

KneeCo 05-14-2007 04:42 PM

I think a tux requires a cumberbund or vest and I think they are generally paired with a bow-tie or tie respectively. In other words, yea, stick with the cumberbund or switch to a regular tie and wear a vest.

kyleb 05-14-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually guids is right about these things, but if it's a formal black tie event, yes, you need a cummerbund.

AZK 05-14-2007 04:44 PM

i was thinking like white suspenders instead if that was an option ok...

guids 05-14-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually guids is right about these things, but if it's a formal black tie event, yes, you need a cummerbund.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a tux sans cummberbund is good enough for James Bond, it is good enough for me.

OP, if you are a younger dude, you can pull a lot of with a tuxedo that older dudes probably cant.

wh1t3bread 05-14-2007 04:50 PM

Drop the cumberbund and get a vest.

renodoc 05-14-2007 04:57 PM

cumberbunds are the ghey.

go for a vest. consider a straight tie instead of bowtie. depends on the event though.

also, if you are fully grown, consider buying a tux instead of renting. go for peaked lapels instead of notched. brooks bros has nice stuff.

gusmahler 05-14-2007 04:59 PM

Cummerbund and suspenders are not related at all. Whether or not you wear one has nothing to do with whether you wear the other.

Traditionally speaking, you wear a cummerbund with a shawl collar jacket and a vest with a peak lapel jacket. You do wear one or the other because your waist band isn't supposed to show with a tux. Also, traditionally speaking, you don't wear a long tie with a tux.

Suspenders are appropriate, as are white suspenders. But a rental will usually have side adjusters on the pants, rendering suspenders superfluous. You don't wear a belt with a tux, though.

Whether or not you wear suspenders, no one should see them as there's no reason to take off your jacket while attending a formal event.

Whether or not you want to follow the traditional rules is a different question, of course.

DonkeyKongSr 05-14-2007 05:04 PM

Cumberbunds are way out of style. Vests are the way to go these days.

I recently went to buy a tux. I asked the lady there if anyone actually wore a cumberbund anymore. She said no, and said she doesn't understand why they even offer them at all since no one every picks them.