Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Meeting Girlfriends Parents/Playing Poker Summer Job (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=432711)

bad_carma 06-21-2007 03:50 PM

Meeting Girlfriends Parents/Playing Poker Summer Job

I"m going to meet girlfriends parents for the first time this weekend and the first thing that always comes up is "What are you doing for a Job this summer"? I don't have a job and am just playing poker...which i'll make more money than any summer job would provide. Of coarse anyone that doesn't play poker looks at this as simply gambling and is not a legitamate job. I don't want to say i just play poker and come off as a freeloader or lazy. What should i say?

jws43yale 06-21-2007 03:51 PM

Re: Meeting Girlfriends Parents/Playing Poker Summer Job

Doing independent research maybe. Just make a claim something related to school.

mbillie1 06-21-2007 03:52 PM

Lie?

MurphNKY 06-21-2007 03:56 PM

I feel your dilemma here...you never want to look - even if it's not a fair impression - like a total degenerate to the the gf's parents.

However, if I've learned one thing over the years, one lie leads to another..leads to another..leads to another. Be straight up...if it's asked, just say,

"I'm in the process of sifting through a variety of different options for employment, in the meantime, thankfully, I am a succesful poker player and have won enough over the last several months to be able to MORE than afford to be selective in the job hunt"

Something along those lines...YES, it approaches that gray area of fib/fabrication/embellishment...but, I think it at least presents ssomething that subconsciously is true.

Try it...I bet it goes over. If it doesn't...eff it, they are, at some point, going to have to love you for who you are, not hate you for what you're not.

Peace (let us know how it goes!)

mbillie1 06-21-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel your dilemma here...you never want to look - even if it's not a fair impression - like a total degenerate to the the gf's parents.

However, if I've learned one thing over the years, one lie leads to another..leads to another..leads to another. Be straight up...if it's asked, just say,

"I'm in the process of sifting through a variety of different options for employment, in the meantime, thankfully, I am a succesful poker player and have won enough over the last several months to be able to MORE than afford to be selective in the job hunt"

Something along those lines...YES, it approaches that gray area of fib/fabrication/embellishment...but, I think it at least presents ssomething that subconsciously is true.

Try it...I bet it goes over. If it doesn't...eff it, they are, at some point, going to have to love you for who you are, not hate you for what you're not.

Peace (let us know how it goes!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... no, just lie. "I'm interning in an office this summer, I basically fetch coffee. It's pretty boring. How's your summer going?"

problem solved

BuckyK 06-21-2007 03:58 PM

"Bangin' your daughter is turning into a full time job for me."

TheTROLL 06-21-2007 03:59 PM

I thought the standard line for this was: "I work with retards"?

Ibanez8185 06-21-2007 04:00 PM

Just say you work for a company online. Not exactly a lie but not the truth either.

goodsamaritan 06-21-2007 04:02 PM

Say that you work in online international arbitrage and that you make a lot of money doing it but it is boring and not interesting to discuss.

Slow Play Ray 06-21-2007 04:03 PM

just say you do not need to work this summer, as you have independent means.

*edit* scratch this idea; it's going to make you look like a drug dealer. just tell them the truth.