Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Late in a tourney, I'm dealt 9 9 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557293)

basic 11-29-2007 03:22 PM

Late in a tourney, I\'m dealt 9 9

So here's another one. Might be a fairly easy for most of you but I still need to ask. It's a $3.5r MTT with a prize pool of $5.5k. I'm 9/23. The starting field was 630 and the tourney has been running for ~4h. I've been up for 16h and tired to say the least.

Blinds are at 4k/8k with 600 antes. Table is 8 handed. I have 170k and villain has me barely covered. I've been recently moved to the table and have played 8 hands so far.
We're ITM but I'm playing for a top 3 finish, otherwise I don't care if it's $35 or $100

One hand prior to this I had T T and raised to 32k and took down the pot PF. No hand converter sorry.

<font color="#666666"> I'm dealt 9 9 in MP, it's folded to me. I raise to 16k and folds to villain in BTN. He re-raises to 56k, folds to me.</font>

Is it an easy fold here or do you call/push? Note the fact that I was the chip leader 15-20 minutes ago but a bad run of cards has taken ~70k from my stack and I want to make a move here to get some chips back but still, is this the hand to do it with? I know it's hard without any reads but give me something here. Villain hasn't played a single hand yet so no reads.

EroTheMad 11-29-2007 03:57 PM

Re: Late in a tourney, I\'m dealt 9 9

This min re-raising really makes me sick. I don't like pushing here. If I'm gonna do that i think stop n go is better. Call and shove on any flop. It's read dependent, if you don't know his pre-flop re-raise range 99 is weak considering normal range. But at 3.5r donkament there may be people re-raising with AJo or something but withoud a read and lower than 5$ buyin i prefer to play ABC poker and fold here. I once saw a guy re-raising with 22 but you never know.

The problem on this hand is raising 4bb pre-flop. 2.5-3bb is enough when there are antes. If you'd raised to 20k, that donk was going to re-raise you to 32k. and you can call then and re-evaluate on flop. With 56k betting pre-flop you're committed and gonna lose all your chips(or win all his chips) on that hand. It all comes back to the "always think am i willing to lose a lot of chips on this hand". And the other choice is open-shoving with 99, your effective M gives permission to it.

In that situation, if you have no read,and you think you're way better than other players I say fold here on 3$ donkament because later they will give you better situations to get chips. If not and you're tired, then "Shoot!".

basic 11-29-2007 04:16 PM

I know the min raise PF is a bit bad, but I took down the pot with a 3xbb raise last hand and I'm new to the table, I don't want anyone to think I'm stealing here and come over the top (witch did happen) if I raise more. I figure I'm folding to a big re-raise so I don't want to but in much.

Overall folding seems the best option to me, I just want to make sure it is in fact so. But if you take into consideration the following facts in no particular order, is shoving or stop &amp; go far away or even a better option that folding?
a) I'm pretty tired and have to go to work in 7h, need some sleep
b) I haven't seen the flop more than twice in the past 20 minutes, the blinds/antes are eating me up
c) I'm in it to win it
b) This is still a $3 donkament

Nairb 11-29-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a) I'm pretty tired and have to go to work in 7h, need some sleep
b) I haven't seen the flop more than twice in the past 20 minutes, the blinds/antes are eating me up
c) I'm in it to win it
b) This is still a $3 donkament

[/ QUOTE ]

Push preflop would be my standard move here, as played fold to re-raise even if it was a min-raise villian came over the top of. However with the points you made above not sure a push here would be awful either, especially if card dead the last 20 minutes and tired as hell. You are either crippled or have enuff chips to make a solid run at first if you are inittowinit.

basic 11-29-2007 04:58 PM

So I figured. But for some reason pushing all-in instead of (min) raising never crossed my mind (guess it's just me playing a little too tight in the later stages, something I need to improve on - any reading material maybe?). I figure if I'm shoving when it's my turn to act I'm only getting called by AK or any pair. I happy to go against AK or any ace with my nines. A PP higher than nines is my only fear, but I think it's worth the risk here considering facts a-d.