Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   SOUL thread. give it to me. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467812)

DcifrThs 08-02-2007 06:48 PM

SOUL thread. give it to me.

been listening to some artists w/ some intensely good music lately.

some selections i'd love to share are:

Sam Cooke: Jesus Gives Me Water, Summertime, Trouble Blues

i wish he didn't die so young so he could have recorded more.

new artist w/ a very similar type of soul w/ a song i can link:

Michael Buble: Feelin good

Linky Linkerton

Michael Buble: Fever

Linky McLinksalot

go to 1:30 or so to avoid listening to letterman et.al.

fantastic singer. not the best performance, but i don't know how to link thinks from itunes. if we can figure that out i'd love to share the buble recording i have as well as the cooke Jesus song with you all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

one of the best songs!! it is a gospel type song sung by sam cooke and his accompanyists (accapella)

SOOOOOOOoooooooooo,

LINK or description to your favorite SOULfull artists [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thanks,
Barron

DcifrThs 08-02-2007 07:39 PM

Re: SOUL thread. give it to me.

found Summertime: Link

crappyr ecording but you can still hear the amazingness that is mr. cooke.

BOOOM: found jesus gave me water...funny background video btw

Sir-Links-a-Lot UGH, just listened to this and there is a loud gunshot in the middle and it is cut to 1:30 ... can't find another version of it though

sam cooke: change is gonna come change

Barron

guids 08-02-2007 07:46 PM

Im a huge fan of soul music, and Buble, but I dont know if I really consider him a soul singer, especially the longs you listed, I put them more under the categories of "standards".

Soul artist, that pretty much any song by them rules:

Sam and Dave
curtis Mayfield
gladys knight and the pips
the delfonics

This is probably my number one genre of music, its what I grew up on, and brings me back to saturday afternoons, hanging out in my dads garage, and listening to his old 8-track stero while a bunch of old italians hung out in the garden, and bbq'ed for me, when they werent sneaking me sips of beer.

DcifrThs 08-02-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im a huge fan of soul music, and Buble, but I dont know if I really consider him a soul singer, especially the longs you listed, I put them more under the categories of "standards".

Sam and Dave
curtis Mayfield
the delfonics

This is probably my number one genre of music, its what I grew up on, and brings me back to saturday afternoons, hanging out in my dads garage, and listening to his old 8-track stero while a bunch of old italians hung out in the garden, and bbq'ed for me, when they werent sneaking me sips of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, i nver would have heard of sam & dave ... so thanks.

i'll need to get more of the others also.

in terms of "soul" i took a vast liberty w/ the definition so i'm probably wrong there but i just associate the feeling and relaying of a song with deeply amazing vocal talent to be "soul" and maybe are standards.

i think you knew what i was looking for though so good looks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron

guids 08-02-2007 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sam and Dave
curtis Mayfield
the delfonics

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, i nver would have heard of sam & dave ... so thanks.

i'll need to get more of the others also.

in terms of "soul" i took a vast liberty w/ the definition so i'm probably wrong there but i just associate the feeling and relaying of a song with deeply amazing vocal talent to be "soul" and maybe are standards.

i think you knew what i was looking for though so good looks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam and Dave are the guys who sing Soul Man.

El Diablo 08-02-2007 08:02 PM

Dcifr,

Wow, I think that Buble rendition of Fever sucks really, really, really hard.

Otis Redding - Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (Jack Black's cover in High Fidelity was pretty damn sweet)

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

The Temptations - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone

guids 08-02-2007 08:04 PM

If you like teh older stuff, check out Etta James, and I agree with El D, only women should sing Fever.

El Diablo 08-02-2007 08:05 PM

D,

I bet you'll like this: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man

Joss Stone version

El Diablo 08-02-2007 08:09 PM

quids,

Peggy Lee - Fever

Hard to top that, and I generally agree re: women singing that song. Except for THE KING - Fever!

El Diablo 08-02-2007 08:09 PM

D,

Those were a bunch of classics. A newer artist: Tay Zonday - Chocolate Rain (asofel turned me on to this guy)