Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is my play here? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=462432)

bigbabyjesus 07-27-2007 04:31 PM

What is my play here?

My laptop died (just shut off while in use) earlier last week. It's a Dell Inspiron and about 2 years old. I took it into some computer repair shop, and they looked at it and attempted to reboot it, or at least find out the problem.

$85 later, they said I needed a new motherboard, which was $700. Basically not worth it. But the guy said I should see if I still had my warranty; which unbeknownest to me, I did (3 year warranty.) So I picked up my laptop as Dell was sending a guy to my house to fix it.

The guy comes, replaces the motherboard, but mentions to me that I don't have a wireless card. I tell him I used wireless internet all the time on it. Anyways, he boots it up and there's no wireless card recognized by Windows.

So I call this computer shop up. Talk to a couple people and they say they'll look into it.

Today they call me (leave a message), and say they found no part anywhere or have any information as to why there'd be a wireless card missing.

Now I have to call them back.. this is annoying and I don't know if I can get anything out of it?

amplify 07-27-2007 04:43 PM

Re: What is my play here?

no. buy a new card.

bobman0330 07-27-2007 05:18 PM

Go to the store and kick some ass. They stole your [censored] wireless card!

TheDudeAbides 07-27-2007 05:28 PM

I don't know - but your location is hilarious.

Ook 07-27-2007 05:49 PM

SIIHP, ldo.

Yads 07-27-2007 05:51 PM

Did you actually have a wireless card sticking out of it or was wireless built in? I would be surprised if a lap top that recent didn't have wireless built in.

guids 07-27-2007 05:51 PM

did you have a card in the slot on the top left hand corner of the laptop? if not, than you have an internal wirelss card, and not a pcmcia card, and it is either a driver issue or they gave you teh wrong mobo. did you use the "dell wireless utility" to connect to a network?

threeonefour 07-27-2007 05:56 PM

card got jacked by some thug making 9 bucks and hour to mess with 1000s of dollars worth of equipment everyday.

i think you should be happy that you got your motherboard for free(?) and just write-off the wireless card. if you do somehow manage to squeeze a wireless card out of dell, you will likely be effectively earning 3$/hr for your efforts.

bigbabyjesus 07-27-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you actually have a wireless card sticking out of it or was wireless built in? I would be surprised if a lap top that recent didn't have wireless built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was built in.

guids 07-27-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so dell gave you teh wrong motherboard, its their fault it has nothing to do with teh store. Either call them up, or just buy an external one off of ebay for 10$. It may even just be a driver issue, put your dell CD in, and install any wirelss card options you see, if this doesnt work, call dell and make them give you teh right mobo. Using your dell service tag number on teh bottom of the PC, they will get you teh right mobo