Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535183)

coberst 10-31-2007 06:12 AM

What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism?

What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism?

From the American workers view the positive side of Globalism is that many workers worldwide in very poor countries will experience a significant increase in their standard of living because the manufacturing of certain products that were manufactured in America are manufactured in their country.

From the American workers view the negative side of Globalism is that the standard of living of many Americans will decline significantly because of the work that has gone to poor countries.

From the American capital owning and financial brokerage view Globalism is the best thing since sliced bread.

What moral judgment should all Americans take toward Globalism? I have no answers to this very difficult question. This is the type of question that leads some people, like me, to duck their moral principles.

I suspect that Americans with capital will reap great advantage from Globalism but working Americans will be net losers. The workers and the capital owning citizens in poor countries will be large net winners.

Ajahn 10-31-2007 07:55 AM

Re: What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism?

If trade between Iowa and California is good, then how can trade between Iowa and Spain be not good?

coberst 10-31-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If trade between Iowa and California is good, then how can trade between Iowa and Spain be not good?

[/ QUOTE ]

When asked "what is jazz?" Louis Armstrong the great jazz musician said "If you gotta ask you can't know".

luckyme 10-31-2007 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see how much worse off North American countries became as they expanded?
Or how the trade collaboration in europe has put those countries in the third world?
Coberst has evidence from Jazz that proves it. cheeez.

luckyme

Ajahn 10-31-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When asked "what is jazz?" Louis Armstrong the great jazz musician said "If you gotta ask you can't know".

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you're onto something when the other guy starts saying non-related jibberish.

tame_deuces 10-31-2007 11:05 AM

A relaxed moral attitude would be my take. Trade is a healthy way to interact. You might want to take action here and there to avoid exploitation (post-colonial Africa when corporations continued in the good spirit of the colonial powers come to mind), but apart from that its all good in my book. Few things create peace and healthy cultural interaction more than trade.

foal 10-31-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know you're onto something when the other guy starts saying non-related jibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love ACers.

tomdemaine 10-31-2007 12:51 PM

Define Globalism.

Thug Bubbles 10-31-2007 01:16 PM

I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'll bite.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's basically asking: why is an American you don't know or have any relationship with more important than a non-American you don't know or have any relationship with?

Because one "is", and another "isn't", does not constitute a logical answer. We are programmed to empathize with our fellow American over "them", but I try to think that nationality is an anachronistic formality, rather than a utility to segregate. If somebody in another country is a moral person, and wishes to trade with me, so be it.

coberst 10-31-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Define Globalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is what you see in the papers and on TV about trade around the world.