Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   My daughter is a millionaire (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=411023)

DespotInExile 05-24-2007 04:05 PM

My daughter is a millionaire

Or at least that is the plan. She is 8 months old. I just bought her a $10k Vanguard variable equity/bond annuity, and by the time she reaches age 65, it should be worth around $1M in real terms (assuming the markets cooperate and inflation doesnt go crazy). Clever plan, no?

The B 05-24-2007 04:10 PM

Re: My daughter is a millionaire

(assuming the markets cooperate and inflation doesnt go crazy).

you are a gambler sir

scott1 05-24-2007 04:16 PM

Sounds good. 65 years from now, a million dollars outght to buy her a nice family sedan for her retirement.

stinkypete 05-24-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good. 65 years from now, a million dollars outght to buy her a nice family sedan for her retirement.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be ridiculous, it'll probably buy at least 2 of them.

jumbojacks 05-24-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm confusing OP's post, didn't he mention that the $1M is going to be in real terms?

john voight 05-24-2007 04:39 PM

add 1,000 annually and it will be 2.4 mill.
you maybe do it for first 20 years, and she'll do it for last 45 years.

dazraf69 05-24-2007 05:53 PM

Congrats sir. Wish my parents did the same for me. Your daughter will thank you when she is old enough to understand what you did. I commend you for making your kids a priority. Best of luck!

DesertCat 05-24-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or at least that is the plan. She is 8 months old. I just bought her a $10k Vanguard variable equity/bond annuity, and by the time she reaches age 65, it should be worth around $1M in real terms (assuming the markets cooperate and inflation doesnt go crazy). Clever plan, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Assuming 3% in annual inflation, this means you are assuming around 11.4% in annual return from an equity/bond annuity, after fees. Will never happen. At best you will see 8-9% annualized, or 5-6% after inflation, and end up with $440,000 in real money. Or worse given the forced insurance associated with annuities.

And why do you say "equity/bond" annuity. The moment you put bonds into the mix you are lowering your long term expectation. If you have such a long time horizon, I'm assuming you know to stick it all into an index fund?

In the end you'd might do better for her putting her in the total stock market index or some other index. You save .3%-.4% a year in annuity costs, and an index fund is almost as tax efficient as an annuity and has no 10% tax hit for early withdrawals.

But if you have to do an annuity, you've picked the right place, Vanguard's costs are very low. As has already been pointed out, add a thousand or so a year and you'll hit your goal pretty easily.

aitchie 05-24-2007 08:46 PM

surely the money's going to be a lot more use to her at 21 than 65?

TheMetetron 05-24-2007 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
surely the money's going to be a lot more use to her at 21 than 65?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance in hell (IMO).